British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Jun 25th 2016 11:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11984681)
The majority of people who voted Remain are not traitors.
The majority of people who voted Leave are not racist.

Unless this is acknowledged, very serious divisions will continue.

The future does not belong to those who voted brexit it belongs to the majority of those under 40 who voted to remain.
Those in charge of our future should have their best interests in mind.
They are the voters who will decide who governs the UK in the next few decades.
Get the negotiation wrong and divisions will get deeper and more pronounced.
Brexit would not have won had it not focussed on immigration and made prejudice and intolerance acceptable.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 26th 2016 12:03 am

Dear oh dear, even more sour grapes.

Man up EMR and get over it or you'll be crying into your beer till Christmas. :lol:

EMR Jun 26th 2016 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11984693)
Dear oh dear, even more sour grapes.

Man up EMR and get over it or you'll be crying into your beer till Christmas. :lol:

It will be you first in the queue complaining when the reality of brexit dawns and I will be there to say I told you so along with 16million others who did not fall for the brexit con trick.

Former Lancastrian Jun 26th 2016 12:15 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11984690)
The future does not belong to those who voted brexit it belongs to the majority of those under 40 who voted to remain.
Brexit would not won had it not focussed on immigration and made prejudice and intolerance acceptable.

Bollox.
Think back 76 yrs ago what the now senior citizens went through when another certain European country invaded several other European countries and how several other European countries banded together with Russia and the USA to defeat that European country.
Are some of these now senior citizens xenophobic, racist are whatever else you want to call them then the answer is Yes but they fought and gave the opportunity for these under 40 voters to live in a democratic country who should be thankful but as we have seen with the new generation of voters its all about them and they are now pissed at the seniors who voted to leave the EU.

These seniors didn't grow up with the freedom of movement or opportunities the younger generation have today and they expressed their democratic right to vote the way they saw fit not what some acne faced teenager with a degree in Greek Mythology who hasn't been through what they went through telling them how they should vote. Sure its their future further down the road but those seniors are still living today and voted be it rightly or wrongly to leave.

Was the EU a good idea then most would say Yes but it got to big and powerful and it failed to think about the average citizen.

There again the UK could just be a country of 17.1 million thickos who had no clue.

Wol Jun 26th 2016 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11984702)
Bollox.
Think back 76 yrs ago what the now senior citizens went through when another certain European country invaded several other European countries and how several other European countries banded together with Russia and the USA to defeat that European country.
Are some of these now senior citizens xenophobic, racist are whatever else you want to call them then the answer is Yes but they fought and gave the opportunity for these under 40 voters to live in a democratic country who should be thankful but as we have seen with the new generation of voters its all about them and they are now pissed at the seniors who voted to leave the EU.

These seniors didn't grow up with the freedom of movement or opportunities the younger generation have today and they expressed their democratic right to vote the way they saw fit not what some acne faced teenager with a degree in Greek Mythology who hasn't been through what they went through telling them how they should vote. Sure its their future further down the road but those seniors are still living today and voted be it rightly or wrongly to leave.

Was the EU a good idea then most would say Yes but it got to big and powerful and it failed to think about the average citizen.

There again the UK could just be a country of 17.1 million thickos who had no clue.

Good post.

Vexcore Jun 26th 2016 12:41 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11984690)
Get the negotiation wrong and divisions will get deeper and more pronounced.
Brexit would not have won had it not focussed on immigration and made prejudice and intolerance acceptable.

Christ... this guy lol

Dick Dasterdly Jun 26th 2016 12:41 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11984697)
It will be you first in the queue complaining when the reality of brexit dawns and I will be there to say I told you so along with 16million others who did not fall for the brexit con trick.

Just like you were going to be here to say I told you so after a remain victory as you said only two or three days ago.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 26th 2016 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11984719)
Christ... this guy lol

Let's hope today's naive young kids grow up to be tomorrow's wise old owls,
but somehow I have my doubts.:cool:

Wol Jun 26th 2016 1:26 am

Obama read what was almost certainly a speech written in Downing Street prior to the referendum.

Here's another American piece, by the head of the Council for Constitutional Principles, Naples, Florida:

June 23, 2016
by Andy Joppa

In the latter part of the 50’s there was a wonderful television show named, You Are There. Each episode opened with the same words … "What sort of day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times ... all things are as they were then, and you were there." You would then be transported, magically, back into a significant historical moment which you would “relive” as closely as television could offer. I believe that June 23, 2016 was one of those days. It was a pivotal day that the future may look back on and say, “it altered and illuminated its time.” On this date, the people of a few small islands off the coast of continental Europe said loudly and proudly, “Enough, enough! We are no longer willing to sell our soul … our spirit … our dignity, for a few Euros!” On June 23, 2016, the people of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union … voted to no longer be part of the self-destructive European mindset.

When I taught management theory, I would talk about two competing views of how most human choices take place. The one most typically used was called, “Economic Man.” This view presumed that all human decisions were made so as to maximize their economic return and that all choices were ultimately driven by financial maximization.

We see and hear this constantly as the economic implications of any action are always put front and center, sometimes exclusively, when any world event is considered. The globalist elite manipulators of human outcomes presume that all humans are herd animals that will compulsively react solely on the basis of financial considerations. In fact, this was the only “argument” of those wanting to keep the United Kingdom in the EU and in a state of bureaucratic subservience. If financial implications had been the only grounds upon which to make decisions, the U.K. would have been better off surrendering to Hitler and thus avoiding the bombs, rockets and costs of war.

The other view of human decision making suggests we are best seen as, “Administrative Man.” In this perspective humans are understood as having economic concerns, but they tend to “economically suffice.” That is, once the basic considerations of biologic necessity are economically met, that humans make their decisions based on a myriad of other issues.

The Brits have chosen to function as “Administrative Humans.” They have decided that being “British,” with all that that entails, was more important than gaining (if they did) from the hegemony of an undemocratic, Brussels based European Union. I loudly applaud their decision.

It is no exaggeration to say that their move might prove to be a moment akin to the 1215 signing of the Magna Carta or our 1776 Declaration of Independence. Historically, the British have been too important to have their accomplishments lost in the sands of time. This undoubtedly would have happened with the EU’s ongoing unlimited immigration policy, combined, not with assimilation, but, rather, with surrender to anti-Western, cultural forms that have contributed nothing but chaos for nearly a thousand years.

Proponents of the “Economic Man” theory, however have no way to explain the recent British vote other than by describing it as emotional, racial, xenophobic or stupid. It is those theorists’ inability to think in anything other than monetary terms that creates this misdirection. Since they never reason in terms of the larger context - national pride, historic dignity, struggles won, or intellectual contributions made, they have no way of understanding how others could turn their back on “the money” for so little of, what they perceive, as having any worth.

The British, however, have decided that to sacrifice something of great value to them, for something of so little value, made no sense for a people who have impacted on the world in a far greater manner than their numbers should have allowed. In their philosophic, scientific, artistic, and political contributions, they have given more than any nation over the past 500 years. One of those contributions has been the United States of America. Never lose track of the fact that most of our founders were British. We, as a nation, were influenced by British thinkers and others of The Enlightenment who formed most of our perspectives on liberty and limited government.

In this day of moral equivalency, every culture is extolled as having intrinsic value, regardless of the reality that today most immigrants are fleeing in unprecedented numbers from cultures that have been the source of their problem. They choose to swarm into nation states that have struggled and worked to create freedom, human dignity and a reasonable financial well-being. All that is well and good, except when people from those dysfunctional cultures attempt to replace the successful cultures that have given them shelter with the intractable convictions they bring along as baggage. That is exactly what was happening in the United Kingdom.

As an American, I can only hope that June 23, 2016, provides us with the wisdom to understand that our culture, too, is fragile and that our success as a great nation is not guaranteed. If we do not fight to preserve our culture, and its emphasis on individual rights and worth, we will certainly lose it and everything that hundreds of years of thought, toil and blood has achieved.

Keep in mind that “culture” isn’t about race, ethnicity or religion; it is a state of mind, a set of commonly held and shared beliefs. The U.K. recognized it could not survive without appreciation of that fact. Can we learn from the Brits’ example? Unfortunately, there is every reason to believe that we will not. Our culture may already have been poisoned by bad philosophy and damaged beyond reprieve.

“Man does not live by bread alone.”

Lion in Winter Jun 26th 2016 1:31 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-gove-eu-liars

As much as Remain voters are angry, I suspect Leave voters are going to be even angrier before too long.

kimilseung Jun 26th 2016 1:40 am

This was posted elsewhere....too lazy to math myself, but 2nd vote within the 2 years and the outcome is reversed.

"Within the UK just over 500,000 people die per annum. The rate is around 9 per 1000. There is nothing strange about this number, it is expected....If as the demographics suggest that the older you are then the more Brexit leave you were then as the remain requires a 1.5% swing to close a 3% gap, then very crudely the Remain need to wait 1.5/0.9 years or about 1 year and 8 months for the demographic Brexit hump to die off through natural causes to be replaced by a coming-of-age new voter remain."

paulry Jun 26th 2016 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 11984734)
Obama read what was almost certainly a speech written in Downing Street prior to the referendum.

Here's another American piece, by the head of the Council for Constitutional Principles, Naples, Florida:

June 23, 2016
by Andy Joppa

:goodpost:

That's an excellent article and is EXACTLY what the in/out battle has all been about. Thanks so much for sharing it :)

paulry Jun 26th 2016 2:09 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11984737)
This was posted elsewhere....too lazy to math myself, but 2nd vote within the 2 years and the outcome is reversed.

"Within the UK just over 500,000 people die per annum. The rate is around 9 per 1000. There is nothing strange about this number, it is expected....If as the demographics suggest that the older you are then the more Brexit leave you were then as the remain requires a 1.5% swing to close a 3% gap, then very crudely the Remain need to wait 1.5/0.9 years or about 1 year and 8 months for the demographic Brexit hump to die off through natural causes to be replaced by a coming-of-age new voter remain."

:blink:

Lion in Winter Jun 26th 2016 2:51 am

So I'm assuming that those who shout loudly that xenophobia was not involved, and not whipped up, by the Brexit campaign will be just as vocal in their condemnation of this sort of activity?

Being left at primary schools. Classy.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/imag...0062-large.jpg

Reports of "No more Polish vermin" signs left outside primary schools in Huntingdon | Cambridge News

Wol Jun 26th 2016 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11984772)
So I'm assuming that those who shout loudly that xenophobia was not involved, and not whipped up, by the Brexit campaign will be just as vocal in their condemnation of this sort of activity?

Being left at primary schools. Classy.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/imag...0062-large.jpg

Reports of "No more Polish vermin" signs left outside primary schools in Huntingdon | Cambridge News

You get morons everywhere: ignore them.

One of my old flying instructors was just one of many Poles who escaped in time and was decorated during WW2. We owe them more than I can express. The idiots who post such crap are NOT representative of people who have made their own decision to vote "out".

Say it again: "Europe" is not synonymous with "EU".

Is anyone listening?