British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 11:01 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12050883)
What is the subject at hand?

The title is 'Post Brexit thread' ;)

DaveLovesDee Sep 13th 2016 11:03 am

Re: Pre-Brexit thread

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050885)
The title is 'Post Brexit thread' ;)

post-

a prefix, meaning “behind,” “after,” “later,” “subsequent to,” “posterior to,” occurring originally in loanwords from Latin ( postscript), but now used freely in the formation of compound words ( post-Elizabethan; postfix; postgraduate; postorbital).
When did we Brexit?

Aren't we more accurately pre-Brexit?

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 11:09 am

Here's an interesting opinion piece from the Swiss:
Brexit delivers blow to Swiss EU hopes

Imitation may be the most sincere form of flattery. But it is doubtful if anyone in Switzerland is thanking the City and big bank spin doctors who have come up with the idea that London should seek a Swiss-style relationship with Europe once Brexit is fully consummated.

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 11:09 am

Re: Pre-Brexit thread

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12050886)
post-

When did we Brexit?

Aren't we more accurately pre-Brexit?

At the risk of being pedantic, I guess we're 'post Brexit referendum' & 'pre Brexit' but the question from RE was: "What is the subject at hand?"

Hence my reply of: "The title is 'Post Brexit thread' " :rofl:

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 11:16 am

It's a good job we left the "dictatorship" in favour of good old British "democracy":

Brexit team: public and parliament will be kept in the dark

Brexit minister David Davis went further, telling the House of Lords EU select committee that because the government did not want to give away its negotiating position he “may not be able to tell [parliament] everything” – even in private hearings:
I can entirely see accountability after the event, that’s very clear. [But] in advance, I don’t think it’s possible for parliamentarians to micro-manage the process and wouldn’t give us an optimum outcome for the country.

Assanah Sep 13th 2016 11:20 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050900)
It's a good job we left the "dictatorship" in favour of good old British "democracy":

Brexit minister David Davis went further, telling the House of Lords EU select committee that because the government did not want to give away its negotiating position he “may not be able to tell [parliament] everything” – even in private hearings:
I can entirely see accountability after the event, that’s very clear. [But] in advance, I don’t think it’s possible for parliamentarians to micro-manage the process and wouldn’t give us an optimum outcome for the country.

Reminds me of Germany - suddenly the government makes the important rules (again :() and parliament isn't even asked.

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12050906)
Reminds me of Germany - suddenly the government makes the important rules (again :() and parliament isn't even asked.

Or perhaps more accurately of the EU where they make the decisions & the member states have to accept them whether they like it or not? :)

jimenato Sep 13th 2016 11:37 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050900)

Brexiteers will be quite happy with that. They voted for it.

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050910)
Or perhaps more accurately of the EU where they make the decisions & the member states have to accept them whether they like it or not? :)

Each member has a veto.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 13th 2016 11:46 am

Margaret Thatcher's ex-nemesis Jacques Delors admits EU in 'crisis' after Brexit | Politics | News | Daily Express

I wonder who will be first to try and shoot he messenger ?

As Corporal Jones used to say "they don't like it up em"

Lion in Winter Sep 13th 2016 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050910)

Majority decisions. Just like the referendum.

Sometimes the decisions made are not that great and sometimes many people don't agree with them. But they should just suck it up and shut up, no?

Lion in Winter Sep 13th 2016 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12050919)
Brexiteers will be quite happy with that. They voted for it.

Yeah but - blue passports!

Assanah Sep 13th 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050923)
Each member has a veto.

There is also the European Parliament involved - even on topics where member states have no veto. The importance of the parliament is definitely higher in the EU at the moment than in the UK or Germany where the government makes momentous (!!) decisions without consulting the parliament.

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12050927)
Majority decisions. Just like the referendum.

Sometimes the decisions made are not that great and sometimes many people don't agree with them. But they should just suck it up and shut up, no?

Depends on which side you're on. For example, before he knew the outcome, Farage said if the vote went 48-52 in favour of remain, he'd challenge the result.

Luckily for him, it didn't. So he didn't have to engage in "bremoaning". Plus, the added benefit of accusing anyone who questions it as a "remoaner".

Lion in Winter Sep 13th 2016 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12050934)
There is also the European Parliament involved - even on topics where member states have no veto. The importance of the parliament is definitely higher in the EU at the moment than in the UK or Germany where the government makes momentous (!!) decisions without consulting the parliament.

Stop confusing people with facts. It wasn't ok before the referendum and it's not ok now.