British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Sep 12th 2016 8:25 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050440)
When in doubt: brexit is brexit.

I wonder how many times you and your deluded pals have made complete fools of yourselves with this particular quote which actually appears to be little more than a figment of your own imagination.

It must surely run well into the hundreds.

If you can't even get a simple three word quote correct, please don't expect anyone to take the other garbage you post you seriously.

:cool:

amideislas Sep 12th 2016 8:38 pm

Dick, you have no idea, nor remotely care what brexit is. You have demonstrated that repeatedly.

Until recently, the three musketeers didn't either. But unlike you, it's their responsibility to figure out a way forward. The news isn't pretty. The spin is only beginning.

"Brexit is brexit" is the only thing they can say right now. They have no idea how to proceed. The entire premise is false (and paradoxical). How do you fix that? You don't know and neither do they.

"Brexit is Brexit". That's the only chant that works. And it's incredibly lame.

SultanOfSwing Sep 12th 2016 8:51 pm

Shouldn't it really be 'brexit will be brexit', since there isn't actually a brexit of which we can speak in the present tense right now?

mikelincs Sep 12th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12050476)
Shouldn't it really be 'brexit will be brexit', since there isn't actually a brexit of which we can speak in the present tense right now?

Well it will have to do it without David Cameron, he has resigned as an MP, so a by-election to follow.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 12th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12050465)
Dick, you have no idea, nor remotely care what brexit is. You have demonstrated that repeatedly.

Until recently, the three musketeers didn't either. But unlike you, it's their responsibility to figure out a way forward. The news isn't pretty. The spin is only beginning.

"Brexit is brexit" is the only thing they can say right now. They have no idea how to proceed. The entire premise is false. How do you fix that? You don't know and neither do they.

"Brexit is Brexit". That's the only chant that works. And it's incredibly lame.

So who are "they" who said Brexit is Brexit ? :confused::confused::confused:

I've seen it quoted a zillion times scattered amongst the tears of the heartbroken remoaners, but rarely if ever at all in the post of a Brexit campaigner, so I can only conclude that it originates from some sad grieving soul on your side of the fence. :cool:

Nice to see your great remain leader Dodgy Dave slinking off into the sunset or maybe to a cushy job with his even more dodgy pals in Brussels.

He seems very keen on rewarding his own cronies for failure, so he can only expect his failed pals in Brussels to do likewise.

Never mind Ami, as they say time heals,
so I expect that some time in the long distant future you will eventually get over it. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile:

paulry Sep 12th 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12050487)
So who are "they" who said Brexit is Brexit ? :confused::confused::confused:

I've seen it quoted a zillion times scattered amongst the tears of the heartbroken remoaners, but rarely if ever at all in the post of a Brexit campaigner, so I can only conclude that it originates from some sad grieving soul on your side of the fence. :cool:

Nice to see your great remain leader Dodgy Dave slinking off into the sunset or maybe to a cushy job with his even more dodgy pals in Brussels.

He seems very keen on rewarding his own cronies for failure, so he can only expect his failed pals in Brussels to do likewise.

Never mind Ami, as they say time heals,
so I expect that some time in the long distant future you will eventually get over it. :cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile:

The only person I've heard use it (besides the remoaners here) is May and she wasn't even a part of the exit campaign.

paulry Sep 12th 2016 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12050485)
Well it will have to do it without David Cameron, he has resigned as an MP, so a by-election to follow.

I bet he does a Tony Blair

GeniB Sep 12th 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12050434)
Currently, you remainiacs are setting yourselves up for heartbreak. Rest assured, brexit is going to happen so dry your eyes, get rid of those sour grapes and get on with life.

Oh Paulry Come on now.. do tell.. Where do you get all this wonderful insider information from? No one on here knows whats going to happen. No one in the cabinet knows whats going to happen.. So why are you so cock sure you know?

Or should the emphasis be on the word 'cock'?

Ps. Cameron has just resigned from being an MP.. Buggering off to his well paid job in banking no doubt. Now David Davis has admitted 'Brexit is going to be tricky' Can't you just see him running around his office holding out the 'poisoned chalice ' wondering where the hell he can dump it.. and where the hell all his mates have gone..

DaveLovesDee Sep 12th 2016 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12050448)
I wonder how many times you and your deluded pals have made complete fools of yourselves with this particular quote which actually appears to be little more than a figment of your own imagination.

It must surely run well into the hundreds.

If you can't even get a simple three word quote correct, please don't expect anyone to take the other garbage you post you seriously.

:cool:

As a number of your fellow Leave posters repeat it often, it must a figment of theirs too.

Actually, the Daily Mail reported that Theresa May said Brexit means Brexit in her speech (from 0.30).

Dick Dasterdly Sep 12th 2016 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12050490)
The only person I've heard use it (besides the remoaners here) is May and she wasn't even a part of the exit campaign.

The common Remoaners MISQUOTE is probably based on May's statement that "Brexit MEANS Brexit" which she repeated a couple of times.

To make it simple for the confused souls, it simply means that the UK WILL DEFINITELY EXIT the EU, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS .

The terms on which we eventually do exit are clearly not covered in that statement and obviously will be the subject of ongoing negotiations.

The Remoaners are still running around like headless chickens, desperately and wildly speculating in the hope of inventing some far fetched crumb of comfort to dampen their sorrows,
but having got it so spectacularly wrong with regard to the immediate effects of the referendum, I generally don't even waste my time on the ridiculous garbage they churn out and instead prefer to wait for the true picture to emerge,
content in the knowledge that the UK has much the stronger of the two hands. :cool:

amideislas Sep 13th 2016 5:03 am

Why Brexit hasn't destroyed the British economy (yet)
Since the referendum, UK consumers and businesses have defied the doomsayers. But the day of reckoning has only been delayed.

What economists appeared to have gotten wrong is the timing of a Brexit-induced slowdown. Instead of fretting about investments and tightening belts immediately after the vote, the Britons had a leisurely summer in the (relatively) good weather, enjoyed the country’s Olympics successes and took advantage of the benign political and monetary situation to carry on spending.

But that has only delayed the day of economic reckoning. A tidal wave of uncertainty is about to hit Britain’s political and economic landscape as the country embarks on treacherous talks over its future relationship with the EU.

“We think the key risk event is the point at which Article 50 is triggered, i.e., the formal notification of the U.K.’s intention to Leave the EU, which we currently expect in the first quarter of 2017,” wrote Morgan Stanley economists Melanie Baker and Jacob Nell in a recent note.

As for consumers, the most important determinant of their spending is whether they have a job or not. As a result, consumer spending tends to lag, rather than lead, any economic contraction. In the view of Kathrin Muehlbronner, lead U.K. analyst at Moody’s Investors Service, British consumers will start to feel the pain of a Brexit downturn only when the job market weakens, something that might not happen until next year.

Much will depend on how foreigners behave. Not, mind you, the foreign workers that hard-line Brexiters want to keep out, but overseas investors such as the Japanese car companies or Chinese real estate buyers that have been funding Britain’s gaping current account deficit. As doubts grow over Britain’s relationship with the EU, many expect the foreign money to stay away, making it less possible for Britain to “rely on the kindness of strangers,” as Mark Carney, the governor of BoE, has said, citing American playwright Tennessee Williams.

Annetje Sep 13th 2016 5:07 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12050524)
but having got it so spectacularly wrong with regard to the immediate effects of the referendum, I generally don't even waste my time on the ridiculous garbage they churn out and instead prefer to wait for the true picture to emerge,
content in the knowledge that the UK has much the stronger of the two hands. :cool:

Hmmm
This is what would actually happen if we implemented the Brexit economic plans suggested by politicians | The Independent
Is this what you mean ?

mfesharne Sep 13th 2016 6:40 am

The term 'Brexit means Brexit' has been coined by several people including TM & it's often misquoted as 'Brexit is Brexit' but the former term (Brexit means Brexit') is (IMO) grammatically correct in that the speaker understands the definition of the word 'Brexit' - & I've posted that definition on a number of occasions.

In short, it means the UK will exit the EU. No more & no less........ without condition & no matter what deal is finally agreed or put another way, there can be no deal made to for the UK to stay. - Hence 'Brexit means Brexit'.

The question people should now be asking is 'what will Brexit mean?' & of course no-one knows the answer to that because A50 hasn't even been triggered yet so negotiations haven't even been started, let alone concluded.

Personally, I'd like to see A50 triggered immediately but my guess is now that A50 will be triggered no later that 2 years before the date of the start to the run up to the next GE.

jimenato Sep 13th 2016 6:58 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12050721)
The term 'Brexit means Brexit' has been coined by several people including TM & it's often misquoted as 'Brexit is Brexit' but the former term (Brexit means Brexit') is (IMO) grammatically correct in that the speaker understands the definition of the word 'Brexit' - & I've posted that definition on a number of occasions.

In short, it means the UK will exit the EU. No more & no less........ without condition & no matter what deal is finally agreed or put another way, there can be no deal made to for the UK to stay. - Hence 'Brexit means Brexit'.

The question people should now be asking is 'what will Brexit mean?' & of course no-one knows the answer to that because A50 hasn't even been triggered yet so negotiations haven't even been started, let alone concluded.

Personally, I'd like to see A50 triggered immediately but my guess is now that A50 will be triggered no later that 2 years before the date of the start to the run up to the next GE.

It's a bit bleedin' late for that isn't it?

I despair at the utter stupidity of someone who would vote for something while freely admitting they don't know what it means.

Insanity.

mikelincs Sep 13th 2016 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12050727)
It's a bit bleedin' late for that isn't it?

I despair at the utter stupidity of someone who would vote for something while freely admitting they don't know what it means.

Insanity.

Well we know exactly what it meant to a huge number of those voting to leave, it would stop all those nasty immigrants who are taking the jobs we wouldn't want to do, it will mean another 360 million a week for the NHS. :rofl: