British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 3rd 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12455181)
What is the definition of "elite".

Anyone who uses the term lower orders, paddy etc
But their problem is that they think they are elite. ,when they are far from it.

The elite or the lower orders for some are simply are those whose views or behaviour they do not approve of..

.With regard to Brexit a more sensible term would be the business community and establishment who were predominately pro remain and now pro retaining the current advantages of the single market, customers union etc.

amideislas Mar 3rd 2018 1:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I'm of the impression it's just another meaningless term for anyone that doesn't agree with you. Like "arsehole" or "Remoaner".

But in this case, it also conotates something that common people can rally against. An "enemy" of sorts. Rich people. Famous people. People who graduated from university. You know, all those who got everything for free without lifting a finger...on your hard earned money. Although, obviously, that's not what it means, nor is it who voted remain, so I guess we're back to just a meaningless term.

la mancha Mar 3rd 2018 1:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12455112)
Ahh, never done business in Europe? Well, if you had, you'd know what I mean.

And aside from the bleedin' obvious (the EU project itself is famously an entirely strategic initiative from the start), try telling your European buyer that you need to make your sales quota for the quarter... See how that flies.

Besides, what do you want, a link? Puhleeeze... It wouldn't matter what I linked to. You'd just dismiss it as remoaner nonsense anyway.

Strategic thinking? Long term? The euro currency springs to mind. What a piece of strategic thinking that is. And how long did this ‘strategic thinking’ take to try and resolve the crisis, which, by the way, is still, ten years on, crippling many Eurozone nations with a terrible unemployment situation with a generation, and soon to be another, never having meaningful work? Let me answer: the strategic thinking is still ongoing. Strategic thinking? Give over…mind you, I will say you are right in respect: the euro currency crisis is certainly long term.

I would rather have our type of strategic thinking when we decided to stay out of the currency, and other issues such as Schengen, despite the opposition of many current Remainers.

I have done business in Spain with many small Spanish businesses and they are terrible to do business with. Most I dealt with want cash in hand and the rest just don’t give a damn about delivery dates. I found the lazy b******* just want an easy life and if I asked for something that needed thinking about they just dismissed me; go somewhere else. I learnt quickly it was easier, and certainly quicker, to order via the internet from the UK.

DaveLovesDee Mar 3rd 2018 1:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455150)
Many of them don't have to bother - the Spanish for instance can just let the UK and Germany buy them lots of new infrastructure and make millionaires of their farmers with free money. Who's the fool I wonder.

South Wales was a beneficiary of EU funds, especially in improving the A465 corridor.

EMR Mar 3rd 2018 2:01 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12455202)
Strategic thinking? Long term? The euro currency springs to mind. What a piece of strategic thinking that is. And how long did this ‘strategic thinking’ take to try and resolve the crisis, which, by the way, is still, ten years on, crippling many Eurozone nations with a terrible unemployment situation with a generation, and soon to be another, never having meaningful work? Let me answer: the strategic thinking is still ongoing. Strategic thinking? Give over…mind you, I will say you are right in respect: the euro currency crisis is certainly long term.

I would rather have our type of strategic thinking when we decided to stay out of the currency, and other issues such as Schengen, despite the opposition of many current Remainers.

I have done business in Spain with many small Spanish businesses and they are terrible to do business with. Most I dealt with want cash in hand and the rest just don’t give a damn about delivery dates. I found the lazy b******* just want an easy life and if I asked for something that needed thinking about they just dismissed me; go somewhere else. I learnt quickly it was easier, and certainly quicker, to order via the internet from the UK.

Lazy b******* , it explains why the language used by some brexiters leads many to think that the British suffer from a misguided sense of superiority and less narrow minded Brits to think that some brexiters suffer from the same delusions.

amideislas Mar 3rd 2018 2:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12455202)
Strategic thinking? Long term? The euro currency springs to mind. What a piece of strategic thinking that is. And how long did this ‘strategic thinking’ take to try and resolve the crisis, which, by the way, is still, ten years on, crippling many Eurozone nations with a terrible unemployment situation with a generation, and soon to be another, never having meaningful work? Let me answer: the strategic thinking is still ongoing. Strategic thinking? Give over…mind you, I will say you are right in respect: the euro currency crisis is certainly long term.

I would rather have our type of strategic thinking when we decided to stay out of the currency, and other issues such as Schengen, despite the opposition of many current Remainers.

I have done business in Spain with many small Spanish businesses and they are terrible to do business with. Most I dealt with want cash in hand and the rest just don’t give a damn about delivery dates. I found the lazy b******* just want an easy life and if I asked for something that needed thinking about they just dismissed me; go somewhere else. I learnt quickly it was easier, and certainly quicker, to order via the internet from the UK.

Oh, another "we're all impoverished because of the EU" day (with the added bonus of "we're all lazy and corrupt"). Carry on...

007Steve Mar 3rd 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12455187)
Anyone who uses the term lower orders, paddy etc
But their problem is that they think they are elite. ,when they are far from it.

The elite or the lower orders for some are simply are those whose views or behaviour they do not approve of..

.With regard to Brexit a more sensible term would be the business community and establishment who were predominately pro remain and now pro retaining the current advantages of the single market, customers union etc.

:goodpost: EMR. imo it's the type that have slithered-between-the-raindrops, ever since their parents told them they were special and they should look down on anyone who earns his wage honestly. I've yet to meet any of the type who's primary interest isn't avoiding/ evading tax.
As regards the business community and establishment, that's so true. Petrified of the slightest change to their profits or status. What a sad little country the UK has become.
I suppose the extreme opposite is the USA...

Fredbargate Mar 3rd 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12455057)
Big of you to confirm you were wrong, Fred :thumbup:

Perhaps if others did similar then there would be at least an extra 20,000 posts on this thread alone

But time will tell how wrong I am ;)

EMR Mar 3rd 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12455239)
Perhaps if others did similar then there would be at least an extra 20,000 posts on this thread alone

But time will tell how wrong I am ;)

Have your read the Times today and its article on Gibraltar using the EU courts to object to the Spanish veto regarding the final terms of Brexit as they will affect Gibraltar.
Obviously the Gibraltar government is not waiting or expecting the UK government to act on its behalf.

Cape Blue Mar 3rd 2018 3:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12455156)
Probably the local Spaniards that open up their beautiful countryside and coasts to heaps of uncouth Brits and Germans (wonder if they use the infrastructure?).

They'd be scrabbling around in the dirt if it wasn't for their tourism industry.

Cape Blue Mar 3rd 2018 3:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12455169)
Bloody homo-lectuals, them elites.

Invisible, too. Can you remind me who we're talking about?

Ask 007Steve - he brought up the elites.

Cape Blue Mar 3rd 2018 3:28 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12455186)
Rich people like The Vacuum Cleaner Salesman and The Pub Landlord.

But seriously, a huge majority of MPs were remainers. D'you think that's what Bluey means by elites?

Oxbridge, Eton, Harrow, public school in general, most MPs and most luvvies from the stage and screen, Lords, Ladies, high-end bankers, QCs and so-on.

Who would you define the elite as?

Cape Blue Mar 3rd 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12455207)
South Wales was a beneficiary of EU funds, especially in improving the A465 corridor.

It was a beneficiary of UK funds redirected through the EU after a large haircut.

Watchpost Mar 3rd 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455245)
They'd be scrabbling around in the dirt if it wasn't for their tourism industry.

According to Wikipedia, Spain built 2.7 million cars in 2015 – more than the UK did.

EMR Mar 3rd 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12455248)
Oxbridge, Eton, Harrow, public school in general, most MPs and most luvvies from the stage and screen, Lords, Ladies, high-end bankers, QCs and so-on.

Who would you define the elite as?

You obviously know your place !


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:09 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.