British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Sep 8th 2016 8:57 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12047097)
I'll bet the UK does it in far less than a decade & more importantly, it doesn't need any approval or permission from anyone else.

It can also exclude the EU fleet & their wasteful ways that may or may not be changed at some time in the future. :thumbsup:

I'll take that bet. What odds are you offering?

la mancha Sep 8th 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12047017)
That's nice. But if the world's largest market is dropped from that menu....

Then we all suffer.

mfesharne Sep 8th 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12047120)
I'll take that bet. What odds are you offering?

Odds? Don't be silly. I'll bet you an apology though! ;)

More seriously, I think the fisheries policy is very important & that Brexit can only improve matters in that regard.

la mancha Sep 8th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12047103)
Brexit isn't doing that. The UK had already dug its heels in about the financial transactions tax and there was bugger-all the EU could do about it. So they'd already established their "competitiveness" in that area whilst remaining in the EU and there had been no dictatorial repercussions.

On the other hand, if, having left the EU, they are no longer allowed the "passporting" rights or the euro clearing rights, bang goes 20bn of the UK economy.

I'm sure they could probably replace some of that with financial paradise type arrangements but if it doesn't amount to that 20bn they might want to reconsider - and possibly pay to retain that business. And maybe accept the transactions tax on top.

Of course Brexit isn’t doing that because we haven’t Brexit’ed yet. I said Brexit would allow them to dodge unwanted rules such as

(Re the FTT I think there are only eleven EU nations signed up to it. The remainder are also digging in their heels.)

You seem to know a lot of what the financial services sector will want to do. Let’s see, shall we?

paulry Sep 8th 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12046888)
The counter argument is how will the indebted and massively unemployed Eurozone going to survive if it loses its 12% of its UK export market?

You talk as if the UK will never again export to a European nation after we leave the EU. Do you have any evidence of this? Has anyone ever said this? If not it is not worth scaremongering, is it?

The EU are of the intent that they are going to make it as painful as possible - as a lesson to anyone else thinking of doing the same. And there are calls from it's undemocratically-elected leaders to hurry up and trigger clause 50 so they can demonstrate their nastiness before anyone else gets a chance to hold a referendum. The EU (as an entity) never was our true friend. It always has behaved like a jealous and scheming girl/boyfriend. :thumbdown:

amideislas Sep 9th 2016 4:38 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12047134)
Then we all suffer.

Well obviously the UK suffers the most, but again, I ask unanswerable question; where is the upside?

TGA Sep 9th 2016 4:48 am

reading back through this thread and amazed the abundance of useful idiots who actually want to be subjugated and live under a dictatorship... as long as they get cheep roaming mobile calls they couldn't give a toss.
I wonder why they don't utilise their beloved "free movement" and move to the EU?
go on!!

amideislas Sep 9th 2016 5:06 am

What dictatorship? I don't think you know the meaning of the word.

TGA Sep 9th 2016 5:09 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12047368)
What dictatorship? I don't think you know the meaning of the word.

you obviously don't

amideislas Sep 9th 2016 5:17 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12047369)
you obviously don't

Is that your best shot, Einstein?

You guys love to accuse anyone who doesn't agree with you of being some sort of lemmings, yet you sleep walk your belief in ridiculous propaganda like this with dogmatic religious fervour.

Dictatorship

TGA Sep 9th 2016 5:31 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12047374)
Is that your best shot, Einstein?

You guys love to accuse anyone who doesn't agree with you of being some sort of lemmings, yet you sleep walk your belief in ridiculous propaganda like this with dogmatic religious fervour.

Dictatorship

from your wiki article

Dictatorship is a form of government where a group of countries (or Country) is ruled by one person or political entity, and exercised through various mechanisms to ensure the entity's power remains strong

A dictatorship is a type of authoritarianism, in which politicians regulate nearly every aspect of the public and private behavior of citizens. Dictatorships and totalitarianism generally employ political propaganda to decrease the influence of proponents of alternative governing systems.

your welcome:zzz:

amideislas Sep 9th 2016 5:51 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12047377)
from your wiki article

your welcome:zzz:

And what does that have to do with the EU?

I suppose you could say that a dictatorship is a form of government, so I suppose any government is a dictatorship (or at least the ones you would like to be).

A duck lives in the water, and it's a bird, so I reckon a sparrow lives in the water too?

You may as well start practicing voodoo. Same thing, really.

Red Eric Sep 9th 2016 6:56 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12047354)
reading back through this thread and amazed the abundance of useful idiots who actually want to be subjugated and live under a dictatorship... as long as they get cheep roaming mobile calls they couldn't give a toss.

If you had been reading with due care and attention, you'd have noticed that indignation at expensive roaming charges was most recently brought up by Dick Dasterdly.

Not very nice of you to call him a useful idiot.

mfesharne Sep 9th 2016 7:18 am

Littleohn does it yet again:

Pomp and arrogance - The Last Night of Remain: RICHARD LITTLEJOHN imagines the Proms if the In camp had their way | Daily Mail Online

TGA Sep 9th 2016 7:36 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12047386)
And what does that have to do with the EU?

I suppose you could say that a dictatorship is a form of government, so I suppose any government is a dictatorship (or at least the ones you would like to be).

A duck lives in the water, and it's a bird, so I reckon a sparrow lives in the water too?

You may as well start practicing voodoo. Same thing, really.

Don't worry. It's well over your head