British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano Dec 18th 2017 4:28 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12401382)
Not me, guv. Credit where it's due - I got it off Boris Johnson.

Red Eric borrowing a phrase from BoJo/Leadsom/Churchill, who’d have thort it ..... 😀

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12401552)
err, no he hasn't.;)

oh yes he has ;)

jimenato Dec 18th 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401640)
oh yes he has ;)

It's that time of year I suppose...:rolleyes:

But he hasn't.:sneaky:

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12401663)
It's that time of year I suppose...:rolleyes:

But he hasn't.:sneaky:

My point is the whole thing is a bleeding pantomime - I wish they'd all stop this pointless posturing to the media and sit down around a table and negotiate responsibly - I was always a naive idealist with unrealistic aspirations of our politicians.

007Steve Dec 18th 2017 5:54 pm

You don't need to be a sociologist or anthropologist to realise that this issue has divided the UK more than any other – probably in living memory.
The real dilemma for our politicos now, is that instead of any signs of the rifts closing, they actually appear to be widening, with attitudes struck and hardened emotions.
IF we get to the position of either ‘no deal’ or ‘bad deal’ how many will then realise the full extent of their (long/short term) drop in living standards, I wonder?
It's when that kicks in IMO, that the discontent will escalate into trouble. History teaches that It's alway those with something to lose, that initiate the spark.

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12401684)
You don't need to be a sociologist or anthropologist to realise that this issue has divided the UK more than any other

that's for sure :goodpost:

Red Eric Dec 18th 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401672)
My point is the whole thing is a bleeding pantomime - I wish they'd all stop this pointless posturing to the media and sit down around a table and negotiate responsibly - I was always a naive idealist with unrealistic aspirations of our politicians.

I think it's a good thing we all at least get a chance to get some sense of what the relative positions are as we go along. Saves it being throughly misrepresented at a later date.

We all believe in transparency in such matters, don't we? I'm sure many of us have said we do, at one time or another.

Red Eric Dec 18th 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12401639)
Red Eric borrowing a phrase from BoJo/Leadsom/Churchill, who’d have thort it ..... 😀

I just wanted to know what it felt like, doing that shit.

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12401694)
I think it's a good thing we all at least get a chance to get some sense of what the relative positions are as we go along. Saves it being throughly misrepresented at a later date.

We all believe in transparency in such matters, don't we? I'm sure many of us have said we do, at one time or another.

yes

la mancha Dec 18th 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12401694)

Not all, apparently.

la mancha Dec 18th 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12401684)
You don't need to be a sociologist or anthropologist to realise that this issue has divided the UK more than any other – probably in living memory.
The real dilemma for our politicos now, is that instead of any signs of the rifts closing, they actually appear to be widening, with attitudes struck and hardened emotions.
IF we get to the position of either ‘no deal’ or ‘bad deal’ how many will then realise the full extent of their (long/short term) drop in living standards, I wonder?
It's when that kicks in IMO, that the discontent will escalate into trouble. History teaches that It's alway those with something to lose, that initiate the spark.

Who might they be?

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 6:33 pm

of course there is a difference between transparancy and posturing in the media :nod::nod::nod: may be too subtle a difference for some to notice ;)

Red Eric Dec 18th 2017 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12401709)
Not all, apparently.

Well, no. There are some who like to misrepresent things as we go along but there's nothing new in that.

The point is that if we have announcements to the world at large and we can thus see and hear exactly what's being said via some channel or another, we can then make up our minds as to who's muddying the waters by trying to present things differently. And of course we can monitor whether the deeds match the words and if not, why not / which side's being obstructive.

Works for me :)

la mancha Dec 18th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12401722)
Well, no. There are some who like to misrepresent things as we go along but there's nothing new in that.

The point is that if we have announcements to the world at large and we can thus see and hear exactly what's being said via some channel or another, we can then make up our minds as to who's muddying the waters by trying to present things differently. And of course we can monitor whether the deeds match the words and if not, why not / which side's being obstructive.

Works for me :)

I think that is pretty obvious. But if one lies, as some within the EU are prone to do, then we do not get a chance to get some sense of what the relative positions are until it is too late, do we? We cannot see who is muddying the waters until the words are long gone and the deeds have been enacted.

Garbatellamike Dec 18th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12401729)
I think that is pretty obvious. But if one lies, as some within the EU are prone to do, then we do not get a chance to get some sense of what the relative positions are until it is too late, do we? We cannot see who is muddying the waters until the words are long gone and the deeds have been enacted.

Yes and guess what?

Spoiler:
both sides are lying to the media circus