British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Dec 17th 2017 6:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12401121)
:goodpost:

Yes, on 2nd thoughts, forget it la mancha. I haven't the time anyway.

That's a laugh. You are on here 24/7. OECD, by the way.

jimenato Dec 17th 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12401085)
Really?

Yes, he's definitely been there.

Her performance on Marr this morning was embarrassingly dreadful - I have no idea why he would keep her on.

Maybe she's got some dirt on him from way back when...

Garbatellamike Dec 17th 2017 7:51 pm

So having a bit of deja vu

Barnier has just announced that his plan for the 2nd stage of negotiations is err not to negotiate - didn't he say that before stage one as well?

If DD is as much of an idiot as some on here claim at least he will be on an equal intellectual footing

Red Eric Dec 17th 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12401175)
That's a laugh. You are on here 24/7.

You misread.

Annetje Dec 17th 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12401153)
I would be much more comfortable with a referendum which was much better worded so those voting for Brexit realized that for many they will not get at all what they thought they were voting for - if Brexit was still voted for at least some it would be with eyes a bit wider open- I suspect it would lose a second time around. Which is kind of ironic those who claim following the vote for the first referendum is just pure democracy, are scared of a second vote because democracy may give a different result.

ECJ must be a scary bunch to make a country go against its economic interests so dramatically just to get away fro its rules.

People voted for loads of reasons ... Don't think ECJ was top of the list. Most wanted money for the NHS or getting rid of foreigners (no matter where they came from or what their status is).

iano Dec 17th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12401217)
People voted for loads of reasons ... Don't think ECJ was top of the list.

Many Brexiteers wouldn’t have known what the ECJ is, and probably still don’t.

morpeth Dec 17th 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12401217)
People voted for loads of reasons ... Don't think ECJ was top of the list. Most wanted money for the NHS or getting rid of foreigners (no matter where they came from or what their status is).

There are some who apparently considered the ECJ a major issue including some who have poste do this thread- it just seems every other reason for voting for Brexit has now become apparent wont happen, so I would guess aversion to the ECJ only reason left unless I am wrong.

Shard Dec 17th 2017 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12401220)
Many Brexiteers wouldn’t have known what the ECJ is, and probably still don’t.

Well the ECJ was lumped in with "taking back control of our country". There was definitely a section of the public that bought into that line.

Red Eric Dec 18th 2017 6:20 am

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12400995)
This being the problem, it's impossible to refute the idealogues claims for the future post-Brexit. "Sunlit uplands" as Eric describes it, is the hope and the dream but is based on very little of substance or historical evidence, or expert opinion, yet is difficult to counter.

Not me, guv. Credit where it's due - I got it off Boris Johnson. Then, knowing what a plagiarist he is, I had a quick search and found that Andrea Leadsom had used it in her leadership bid speech. I wondered if it went back any further than that and surprise, surprise, it was one of Churchill's! Who'd a thort it? (students of such things will instantly recognise it, of course, as a phrase in the "Their Finest Hour" speech).

More recently, the earliest reference I could find specifically in relation to Brexit was Michael Fabricant, pre the referendum (or indeed the election which occasioned it), cautioning against negative and xenophobic anti-European (sic) messages as a campaign tactic :

for those who advocate leaving the EU, the little Englander approach just won’t cut the Dijon mustard. Eurosceptics like me need to think carefully about how we craft the argument.

We should avoid negative, anti-European messages and xenophobia, and instead instil positive images of the sunlit uplands that will open to Britain as a prosperous global trading nation free from EU directives and dogma.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ithout-britain

Didn't that work out well?

Annetje Dec 18th 2017 7:28 am

For those who need a job, vacancies all over the world.
One needs to be willing to live amongst Foreigners though :lol:

Liam Fox under fire over £1m-plus plans for new 'trade commissioners' on packages enjoyed by UK ambassadors | The Independent

Good luck :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

DaveLovesDee Dec 18th 2017 9:36 am

After Brexit: the UK will need to renegotiate at least 759 treaties

If the link doesn't work, Google the headline and you should be able to read it.

amideislas Dec 18th 2017 10:39 am

Interesting article in the FT

The real price of Brexit begins to emerge

Lion in Winter Dec 18th 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401200)
So having a bit of deja vu

Barnier has just announced that his plan for the 2nd stage of negotiations is err not to negotiate - didn't he say that before stage one as well?

If DD is as much of an idiot as some on here claim at least he will be on an equal intellectual footing

Where did you read that? The BBC and The Guardian are feporting that he said this:

"[The British] have to realise there won’t be any cherry picking. We won’t mix up the various scenarios to create a specific one and accommodate their wishes, mixing, for instance, the advantages of the Norwegian model, member of the single market, with the simple requirements of the Canadian one. No way. They have to face the consequences of their own decision."

Which is not the same thing at all..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Interestingly, The Guardian is also reporting in that link that according to one think tank the very softest possible Brexit, on a pay-to-play basis, might be a doable option and the best one for us. So we would pay to get much of what we had anyway, except with a different name and no control and fewer benefits. That's not going to do some people's blood pressures a lot of good...

SultanOfSwing Dec 18th 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12400574)
Put a bow on the oven door...... :p

That would be rather misguided. She does enjoy cooking though, so not entirely inappropriate, but certainly won't get me in the good books either :D

jimenato Dec 18th 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12401200)

...Barnier has just announced that his plan for the 2nd stage of negotiations is err not to negotiate...

err, no he hasn't.;)