British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Dec 15th 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12400256)
Her employers, the voting electorate, have told her what they want to happen, she is not trying to assert Parliamentary democracy, she is trying to subvert brexit and has done so by stabbing her boss in the back. Perhaps the Tories will go all Momentum on her ass and start deselecting these "rebels".

What makes you think that?

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12400282)
Amazon Prime, my good man. Still time to get that sweet, sweet two day shipping. Which reminds me, I must get mine done too. Usually I'm way ahead of the game by now but my wife is really bad at dropping hints and I'm really shit at coming up with ideas unaided.

We really should just stop getting each other presents but I'm damned if she's not going to have something to open on Christmas, even if it is just a box of zebra cakes.

I seem to have joined for a free month of Amazon Prime --but didn't sign up to it (as far as I know-). (Same as EU--only it's not free and more than a month)---:lol::lol:

jimenato Dec 15th 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12400290)
What makes you think that?

Actually the dumb blonde on the panel said the same thing. I've no idea why - just stupid.

Does anyone (apart from some Brexiteers who are racking up the righteous indignation for some reason only know to themselves) seriously believe that we might not leave?

Truth is, Brexiteers should welcome the amendment - unless of course they are wanting a no-deal jump over the cliff exit.

I'm starting to think that many of them are stupid enough to want that.

Lion in Winter Dec 15th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400292)
I seem to have joined for a free month of Amazon Prime --but didn't sign up to it (as far as I know-). (Same as EU--only it's not free and more than a month)---:lol::lol:

Better watch out - they'll start delivering you things you need, that you can find with no effort at all, and at a better price than you can get elsewhere.

EMR Dec 15th 2017 3:50 pm

Her employers, the voting electorate, have told her what they want to happen, she is not trying to assert Parliamentary democracy, she is trying to subvert brexit and has done so by stabbing her boss in the back. Perhaps the Tories will go all Momentum on her ass and start deselecting these "rebels".

The vote was about parliamentary democracy, not dictatorship.
She has not changed her view, stuck to her principles , a rare thing today.
I detect thatbyiu Along with other extreme brexiters are starting to get worried.
You will certainly be annoyed when migration figures continue to reflect the skills shortage and needs of the economy.
Maybe only a deep recession , rising unemployment meaning that we no longer have a need is the only thing that will make you happy.
We are leaving, is that not enough for you ?

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 3:54 pm

I seem to have joined for a free month of Amazon Prime --but didn't sign up to it (as far as I know-).

You may have clicked on the free trial offer without realising. Make sure you cancel before the 30 days are up though, otherwise you'll be charged for a full year of membership. Unless you want to keep it, of course. Free 2 day shipping and access to Prime video is decent, IMO.

(Same as EU--only it's not free and more than a month)---:lol::lol:

Stahp.

EMR Dec 15th 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400295)
Better watch out - they'll start delivering you things you need, that you can find with no effort at all, and at a better price than you can get elsewhere.

You will also get products from all over the world which might come as a surprise for some who thought the UK only trades with the EU.

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12400303)
You may have clicked on the free trial offer without realising. Make sure you cancel before the 30 days are up though, otherwise you'll be charged for a full year of membership. Unless you want to keep it, of course. Free 2 day shipping and access to Prime video is decent, IMO.

Stahp.

Thanks --I have already cancelled it --but can still keep it for the month--and it has been useful for Christmas stuff!

SultanOfSwing Dec 15th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400306)
Thanks --I have already cancelled it --but can still keep it for the month--and it has been useful for Christmas stuff!

Very useful for Christmas stuff. We've been able to have presents arrive Christmas Eve in time to be wrapped and put under the tree in years past.

EMR Dec 15th 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12400306)

All those EU migrants working in the vast Amazon packing centres.
What would we do without them.

amideislas Dec 15th 2017 4:31 pm

Tell me something, cape...

Why hasn't Britain left the EU yet? There's no legal reason why Britain can't just say "as of today, we are out". End of.

Is it because of her "subversion" tactics? Remoaners? A secret EU plot? What?

Bipat Dec 15th 2017 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12400317)
All those EU migrants working in the vast Amazon packing centres.
What would we do without them.

So who is working in the packing centres in their origin countries?

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12400260)
Actually, the voting electorate has done no such thing. All they did was say "leave", and we are leaving. Absolutely no detail on what that leaving would mean, or what the leave agreement might be, was provided, so people can't be said to have voted for any of it, either way.

The voting electorate, has, in fact, got exactly what it voted for. A non-specific, unplanned leave, devoid of leadership of any kind.

Leave means leave - no ECJ, non FOM, no SM, no CU. If we don't leave those we have not left the EU.

iano Dec 15th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12400320)
Why hasn't Britain left the EU yet? There's no legal reason why Britain can't just say "as of today, we are out". End of.

Ordered chaos is preferable to unordered chaos for all but the froth.

Cape Blue Dec 15th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12400263)
I'm just popping in to say it was only 37% of the electorate anyway, and then I'm going to bugger off again ... :scarper:

The majority of the voting electorate. That's how our democracy works.