British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

macliam Dec 5th 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Just to bring us back on track....
https://i.redd.it/lvealt68ov001.png

DaveLovesDee Dec 5th 2017 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12394474)
No, it won't, which is why it has to be a hard border.

But I thought someone said that if Ireland chose to have a border they could, but that the UK didn't have to have one with Ireland.

jimenato Dec 6th 2017 5:18 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12394602)
But I thought someone said that if Ireland chose to have a border they could, but that the UK didn't have to have one with Ireland.

Quite.

Farage says we need no border (and presumably Vexcore agrees as he quoted him) but Cape Blue says we need a hard border. :confused:

We're a bit confused over here on the remain side - could you sort yourselves out a bit? I mean we really want to help you with your project and all that but we can't if you can't agree amongst yourselves what you want.

Any more leave supporters - hard or no border - or another sort of border?

amideislas Dec 6th 2017 5:54 am

Reunification. Simples. Solves the border problem.

Annetje Dec 6th 2017 8:32 am

DD just saying there are NO impact assessments at all over Brexit ...........

True or false or is he digging his hole ready for the whole country to jump in ?

BBC parliament (now on).

Garbatellamike Dec 6th 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12394690)

You'd need to combine it with ethnic cleansing though to solve the totality of the problem.

DaveLovesDee Dec 6th 2017 9:14 am

That'll cause a few heart attacks in Stormont......

jimenato Dec 6th 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12394745)
You'd need to combine it with ethnic cleansing though to solve the totality of the problem.

I suspect both of those might ultimately be consequences of Brexit ... if it ever happens.

Assanah Dec 6th 2017 11:08 am

And now we return to the fact that the EU is much more than a trade club. Its main objective and its raison d'etre was, is, and will be peace and friendship.

Btw, it is a shame that May declared the exit of the UK so early. The UK should have had the discussions about what kind of relationship it wants with the EU before officially declaring Brexit in March. In my view that premature declaration in March was a major strategic mistake, driven by immense nationalistic emotions. Nationalistic emotions are surly a strong motivator but they seem to deactivate rational thinking and intelligence. Good luck dear United Kingdom on your lonley journey out.

macliam Dec 6th 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12394748)
I suspect both of those might ultimately be consequences of Brexit ... if it ever happens.

I'm sure the partition of India seemed a good idea to someone in Whitehall - and what a brilliant job they did of that! Britain does have a long history of exporting its problems......

Now you see why Dublin can't stop "interfering", because they didn't vote for Brexit, but they are stuck with having to make the best of it and avoid the worst impacts. As they're not the ones making the change, it's pretty obvious where the onus lies - but, like with the payment of the UKs dues, there are those who see it as someone else's problem.

Let's be clear here - I would like to see the unification of the island of Ireland, because it makes sense and would undo a historical tort. Ulster was the most Irish part of Ireland and whilst there may have been reason for some to fear unification in the past, I see no such danger now. Ireland is no longer the backwater poor neighbour, it has grown up.

BUT - and it's a big but, I'd like to see that as a longer term goal, fostered by closer relationships and cooperation - and, maybe, as a federal state, acknowledging the concerns of the Unionists. I do NOT want to see the current progress wrecked, or the whole process "accelerated" to get some half-arsed politicians out of bother.

Over to you Theresa. :sneaky:

Lion in Winter Dec 6th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12394726)
DD just saying there are NO impact assessments at all over Brexit ...........

True or false or is he digging his hole ready for the whole country to jump in ?

BBC parliament (now on).

It is all going very well, isn't it.

Impact assessments of Brexit on the UK 'don't exist' - BBC News

jimenato Dec 6th 2017 1:10 pm

The Brexit Secretary told MPs as early as last December that his department was “in the midst of carrying out about 57 sets of analyses” on different parts of the economy. And in October, he told the Brexit committee that Prime Minister Theresa May had read “summary outcomes” of impact assessments, which he said went into “excruciating detail”.

But on Wednesday he told the committee that “no systematic impact assessments” had in fact been carried out.
So was he lying then - and there are no assessments, or is he lying now - and there are some...?:whistle:

Garbatellamike Dec 6th 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12394823)
So was he lying then - and there are no assessments, or is he lying now - and there are some...?:whistle:

Well he is a politician and his lips were moving! Therefore, I suspect a minimum 95% chance he was lying but probably closer to 99.999999999999%

Red Eric Dec 6th 2017 1:38 pm

Hammond's just claimed the Cabinet hasn't discussed what final outcome it's aiming at.

Annetje Dec 6th 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12394827)
Well he is a politician and his lips were moving! Therefore, I suspect a minimum 95% chance he was lying but probably closer to 99.999999999999%

Serious question :

What are the consequences when found out that he lied (either then or now) ?