British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Nov 30th 2017 3:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12391796)
I repeat: do you think Cameron ran a campaign free of threats and disinformation? Do you think Project Fear was worse, better or on the same level as the Leave campaign? All it takes is a yes or a no. Any offers.

And don’t preach English to me. I know some of you think you are intellectually superior to the rest of us, hence the constant corrections and piss-taking with posters’ grammar, but leave it out. One slips up. It was a post not a bloody thesis.

LIW, everything on here has been answered multiple times.

I see we’re back to the whingers. Moan. Moan. Moan.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: The irony - your post is one long moan.

Shard Nov 30th 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12391790)
As I understand it, the phrase originally meant "pretending you didn't want something that you couldn't have"?? I think it was in Aesop's Fables and there was a fox involved but I don't remember the details.

However, in contemporary usage it is oft used, erroneously, to describe something like Remoaning. In sum I think you are both correct in different ways ;)

Fox wanted the juicy grapes hanging on the tree (vine) tried jumping many times, couldn't reach, gave up and said the grapes were probably sour anyway.

That's the only correct usage as far as I am concerned.

Shard Nov 30th 2017 4:13 pm

"Project Fear" as a term originated in the Scottish referendum, and described the ominous warnings Westminster issued to Scotland on independence. During the EU referendum George Osborne, Cameron et al issued similar dire warnings (quite rightly IMO) and were accused of scaremongering again with another "Project Fear". So it was, regrettably, a tactic of the Remain camp.

Garbatellamike Nov 30th 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12391824)
Fox wanted the juicy grapes hanging on the tree (vine) tried jumping many times, couldn't reach, gave up and said the grapes were probably sour anyway.

That's the one - thanks

Lion in Winter Nov 30th 2017 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12391796)
I repeat: do you think Cameron ran a campaign free of threats and disinformation? Do you think Project Fear was worse, better or on the same level as the Leave campaign? All it takes is a yes or a no. Any offers.

LIW, everything on here has been answered multiple times.

Then stop asking the same question. It was answered, again, only this morning a few posts before yours.

la mancha Nov 30th 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12391882)
Then stop asking the same question. It was answered, again, only this morning a few posts before yours.

Yes, Ma'am.

macliam Nov 30th 2017 8:17 pm

Oh, you have to love it......Sammy Wilson warns Brexit talks may jeopardise DUP-Tory deal

So, having got their £1bn extra for NI and "committing" to no hard border with the Republic, the DUP have reverted to form and again have their heads stuck where the sun don't shine.

First, they categorically reject any customs "border" in the Irish sea, which would allow a common customs area with the 26 counties.

Then, they get worried about being treated differently to any other part of the UK (which plainly must happen if there isn't a hard border).

Now, the bile has risen at the idea that Dublin might have something to say, so they threaten the Tories that they might not support them, unless their "allies" dance to their tune. Presumably they'll want the 12th July as a national bank holiday too!!

Quelle surprise :sneaky:

Lion in Winter Nov 30th 2017 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12391952)
Yes, Ma'am.

That's only for the Queen. Boss will do, or guv.

.../Jane Tennison

amideislas Dec 1st 2017 6:23 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12391798)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: The irony - your post is one long moan.

It seems rather clear which side is exhibiting "sour grapes" and "fear" at this point. Not to mention hypocrisy.

007Steve Dec 1st 2017 7:59 am

Re - Post 24490

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12390916)
Complete over reaction. Nobody's going to be saddled with payments for several generations. The 'divorce bill' (as I notice BBC has started terming it) is a non-issue and something of a red herring. Government could have agreed it a year ago if it wanted to, and the numbers would have been known by both sides from day one.

Well Guv, (twisting grubby-cloth-cap-in-hands) I can’t do ‘Rithmetic & Sums like wot you can, but IF this-ere, is the actual position….
Bank of England warning over debt: borrowing puts UK at risk of Venezuela-style collapse, official warns
....then (meekly) I question your assertions & ask how these juicy trade deals are going to be kick-started and financed....

‘umbly
X(his mark)

Red Eric Dec 1st 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12391824)

Add "Liam" to the front of that and you've got yourself a deal ;)

Red Eric Dec 1st 2017 1:47 pm

Dear, dear. This isn't looking good.

David Davis grasping for a pretence of an honourable way out : David Davis threatens to quit if Damian Green sacked unfairly

Lion in Winter Dec 1st 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12392331)

David Davis grasping for a pretence of an honourable way out : David Davis threatens to quit if Damian Green sacked unfairly

007Steve Dec 1st 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12392331)

... How's he going to get his Duty-Free if he quits?...:confused:

macliam Dec 1st 2017 3:30 pm

Maybe we should have a checklist to record the unravelling of the Brexit hyperbole.

Today's U-turn is that the UK is to tell the EU that it wishes to stay in the European Aviation Safety Agency, under the indirect jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, in order to keep planes flying after Brexit. https://news.sky.com/story/govt-to-s...-line-11151049

So much for Theresa May's "red line" last October, that the UK must no longer come under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.