Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:43 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
Yes tough days back then, it was a good job Mrs T came along else we'd still be the sick man of Europe...........
No, it's a good job we joined the EEC, otherwise we'd have stayed the sick man of Europe.

Thatcher came to power after the benefits of EEC membership began to improve the UK's economic conditions. She (and the Tory party) reaped the benefits and received the credit for the UK's changing fortunes despite most the the hard decisions being made by the previous Labour government.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:40 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Good to see something positive. I would not like to see Portugal or any other nation fall again. It does no one any good, the people or the nation. As for the continuing contributions, I have nothing against helping Portugal or any other nation; my concern is the EU, not individual nations. Europe is changing but the EU goes on regardless. As for keeping the contributions coming, I think that may be coming to an end. It will now be up to France and Germany to plug a massive gap in funding. I see Macron’s popularity has fallen in record time as unemployment has risen, and Merkel could be on the way out or faced with the prospect of forming an undesirable coalition or another election. The irony is that it is France and Germany who are holding out for a bigger final contribution from the UK (or so I am informed).
Well, we can only hope for a total collapse of everything (regardless of the unlikelihood).

Hopefully, Merkel will fail to achieve any balance, and the result will fall toward one of the more extreme positions, whether far left or far right. The last thing we need is compromise between the fringe factions (the very purpose of democracy).

In the end, chaos would be the best solution. At least each nationality would be free to express how "national" they are (in their opinion), and that's what's important.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:43 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
No, it's a good job we joined the EEC, otherwise we'd have stayed the sick man of Europe.

Thatcher came to power after the benefits of EEC membership began to improve the UK's economic conditions. She (and the Tory party) reaped the benefits and received the credit for the UK's changing fortunes despite most the the hard decisions being made by the previous Labour government.
Gosh, I've read some rubbish on this thread but this one deserves a trophy
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:02 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
Erm, it's actually true.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
What exactly are you prepared to believe then ? Crime that IS reported? Or crime that YOU decide has been reported? Do you have to actually see the crime to believe it?
I will give you one small instance.I know of personally..at the milder end My Danish ex-pat friend, (of many yrs whilst I lived in NL ) Has recently retired to the UK with her British OH. Since Brexit she is afraid to go into the local shops in Kent,because when she opens her mouth she has a foreign accent. She has been asked many times 'where do you come from'Normal in the past,but now she feels threatened
She is so self concious and upset about the attitude in the UK now ,that she is spending more and more time in Denmark. It has caused a rift in her family life.
I imagine that has been repeated many times over for other foreigners.
It's really not that difficult, I believe there has been little in any change in actual anti-immigrant crime but an increase in reporting of it.

I.e. before the referendum actual anti-migrant crime was A and the reporting of it was 50%A, since the referendum it is still A but reporting is now 70%A.

It's a little like the sexual harassment issue - it hasn't suddenly just increased in Hollywood or Parliament, but women are now reporting it more.

Your friends is feeling threatened, but that is her perceivance of it, people might just be being friendly and interested. I asked a bloke in a taxi the other day where he was from (Romania) because I find tales of migration interesting.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:11 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post

Which hard decisions are you referring to?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:12 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
Cue Mike saying it's the only trophy Arsenal supporters will see this season.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Erm, it's actually true.
It doesn't fit the perception the Brexiteers want to believe, so they'll never accept it.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Could I just say at this point that "belief" has nothing to do with anything. Facts are what are relevant here. Belief is for religion and it's good not to get those things confused.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:42 pm
Reasonable Bitch

I always thought Brexit was a religious ideology.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, we can only hope for a total collapse of everything (regardless of the unlikelihood).

Hopefully, Merkel will fail to achieve any balance, and the result will fall toward one of the more extreme positions, whether far left or far right. The last thing we need is compromise between the fringe factions (the very purpose of democracy).

In the end, chaos would be the best solution. At least each nationality would be free to express how "national" they are (in their opinion), and that's what's important.
Can't blame Brexit for this one, can you?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 9:52 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Can't blame Brexit for this one, can you?
Can blame Brexit for these ones though :

Brexit: EU to move key agencies from London to France and Netherlands when UK leaves, Brussels announces | The Independent

Just losing out on loads of jobs (+ supply jobs) and of course revenue.

This is on top of losing financial passport rights so an additional x-billion lost for the Exchequer + loads of jobs gone.

And the news that May will offer 40 bn now for the financial settlement.

And that's just the monday news ...

Oh yes, and I've lost my match today
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Can blame Brexit for these ones though :

Brexit: EU to move key agencies from London to France and Netherlands when UK leaves, Brussels announces | The Independent

Just losing out on loads of jobs (+ supply jobs) and of course revenue.

This is on top of losing financial passport rights so an additional x-billion lost for the Exchequer + loads of jobs gone.

And the news that May will offer 40 bn now for the financial settlement.

And that's just the monday news ...

Oh yes, and I've lost my match today
EU agencies were always going to move from the UK. As for Barnier’s speech to a think tank, everyone in the financial industry says that to mess with the financial eco-system will court disaster, but when did the EU ever listen to anyone? I said recently Europe is changing but the EU cocks a deaf ‘un. Now Germany has difficulties. Remember how everyone in the EU took the piss out of May after the last election? Macron and Merkel don’t seem so hot now, either, do they? I am afraid whoever is giving Barnier orders is leading you all over a cliff-edge. The landing will be very hard indeed for the EU. Have a nice time.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:32 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

EU agencies were always going to move from the UK. As for Barnier’s speech to a think tank, everyone in the financial industry says that to mess with the financial eco-system will court disaster, but when did the EU ever listen to anyone? I said recently Europe is changing but the EU cocks a deaf ‘un. Now Germany has difficulties. Remember how everyone in the EU took the piss out of May after the last election? Macron and Merkel don’t seem so hot now, either, do they? I am afraid whoever is giving Barnier orders is leading you all over a cliff-edge. The landing will be very hard indeed for the EU. Have a nice time.
EU agencies move because of Brexit.
Only Brexiteers say that the loss of Financial passports will cause problems. EU can handle them almost as good as London and, now that they have them within their grasps, they will get better.
Nobody listened to you when you said Europe was changing ... What a shame.
Germany will pull through, if necessary new elections.
Can't remember the EU joking with May's election but have heard a lot of MP's laughing about it. Remember ''Strong and stable'' ... not so strong and stable now is she. Remember ''if I lose 6 (or 7) seats it will be Corbyn negotiating'' ? Promises promises ... And most of the UK thought she was mad ... And still do

How about the loss of all these jobs and revenue ?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The next leader of Europe could be France's Emmanuel Macron. In December if they accept the invitation of President Macron leaders of 100 countries will descend on Paris to ramp up the global fight against climate change. Only the US will be absent. Macron is young and has fresh ideas to offer a changing world. America retreats behind "America first" and creeping isolationism while Britain is in chaos, negotiating a difficult withdrawal from the EU and with an uncertain future ahead after that
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:16 pm
So long...

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
EU agencies move because of Brexit.
Only Brexiteers say that the loss of Financial passports will cause problems. EU can handle them almost as good as London and, now that they have them within their grasps, they will get better.
Exactly. How many EU agencies are headquartered in non-EU countries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.