British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Nov 17th 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12384567)
Does this also apply to the British-born long-term unemployed?

Yes, of course.

Cape Blue Nov 17th 2017 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12384482)
And for those who still think DD is ''the great negotiator'' ... here is another example of ''putting his foot in it'' :

https://united-europe-news.blogspot....h-britain.html

Even if it is true, one does NOT say it in a speech in Germany, especially now.
No doubt, there will be plenty of goodwill coming from the EU after this performance.
I soooo much despair for the UK and my family in it :thumbdown:

That link is truly laughable.

DaveLovesDee Nov 17th 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12384573)
Yes, of course.

In that case, I presume you support employers having to pay wages at a substantially higher rate?

And dismantling the social security system?

Of course, the higher wages will be taxed more.

Cape Blue Nov 17th 2017 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12384577)
In that case, I presume you support employers having to pay wages at a substantially higher rate?

And dismantling the social security system?

Of course, the higher wages will be taxed more.

I support employers paying the market rate for labour.

Not wanting to subsidise people to live in one of the most expensive areas in the world is not the same as dismantling the social security system.

Higher wages often are.

amideislas Nov 18th 2017 5:56 am

https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/d...xitbus3_2_.jpg

EMR Nov 18th 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12384582)
I support employers paying the market rate for labour.

Not wanting to subsidise people to live in one of the most expensive areas in the world is not the same as dismantling the social security system.

Higher wages often are.

Victorian values, ah those were the days.

Red Eric Nov 18th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12384572)
I pop back in occasionally, mostly because I find these remainiacs a strange and interesting breed.

I find you New Wave mongrels an odd lot. Easily led, too.

Mind you, you all had fairly obvious tendencies. It's not exactly a surprise.

Shard Nov 18th 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12384572)
I pop back in occasionally, mostly because I find these remainiacs a strange and interesting breed.

I wasn't much interested in the swivel-eyed-loon type of brexiter before the referendum, they were clearly somewhat deranged in their unremitting hate of the EU, but I find their mirror image in these remainiacs and their deranged hate of Brexit quite amusing.

It's not the mirror image at all. The Brexit loons are hankering after a semi-public Imperialistic Britain of the mid 20th century, and completely disregarding the interdependencies and political settlements we have now achieved. They are hell bent on the nostalgia of thriving Cornish fishing villages, disregarding the modern Silicon villages in the centre of London. Much has been achieved through EU membership over the past 40 years, most of which is under the bonnet reforms and agreements. The difference with "remaniacs" is that we are not peddling an out of date nostalgia or ill conceived economic nirvana, we simply want to stick with a well functioning system. One in which Britain was a major architect. Why tear down the cathedral?

Annetje Nov 18th 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12384575)
That link is truly laughable.

Your biggest worry is the link ???? :sarcasm:

jimenato Nov 18th 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12384703)
I find you New Wave mongrels an odd lot. Easily led, too.

Mind you, you all had fairly obvious tendencies. It's not exactly a surprise.

New Wave mongrels?:blink:

I've got a picture in my head of Cape Blue and his ilk - it's a bit like this...

http://www.original-political-cartoo...op_upscale.jpg

Bipat Nov 18th 2017 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12384722)
It's not the mirror image at all. The Brexit loons are hankering after a semi-public Imperialistic Britain of the mid 20th century, and completely disregarding the interdependencies and political settlements we have now achieved. They are hell bent on the nostalgia of thriving Cornish fishing villages, disregarding the modern Silicon villages in the centre of London. Much has been achieved through EU membership over the past 40 years, most of which is under the bonnet reforms and agreements. The difference with "remaniacs" is that we are not peddling an out of date nostalgia or ill conceived economic nirvana, we simply want to stick with a well functioning system. One in which Britain was a major architect. Why tear down the cathedral?

On the contrary the majority of Brexiters are looking to the future and the economies of the future not an isolationist view of sticking to the rules of a collection of a few countries containing cathedrals.

EMR Nov 18th 2017 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12384732)
On the contrary the majority of Brexiters are looking to the future and the economies of the future not an isolationist view of sticking to the rules of a collection of a few countries containing cathedrals.

It's the Cathedral countries who provide most of the current UK export business whilst the world of temples and mosques lags far behind.

Shard Nov 18th 2017 9:43 am

They can look at those very same countries and economies from the strength of being an EU member. Especially in the modern economy which trades in services and intellectual property. There is nothing isolationist about being a leading edge of the EU.

Red Eric Nov 18th 2017 9:43 am

Are they, indeed? :unsure:

Red Eric Nov 18th 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12384731)
New Wave mongrels?:blink:

I've got a picture in my head of Cape Blue and his ilk - it's a bit like this...

http://www.original-political-cartoo...op_upscale.jpg

:lol: Looks as though it could wolf down a good chunk of kipper fairly regularly.