British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Garbatellamike Nov 11th 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12380045)
Everything oranges
Oranges: a litmus test of UK post-Brexit tariff negotiations

The UK currently charges complex import duties on oranges thanks to the EU. Will they survive Brexit? And will other countries want a say? Exploring post-Brexit tariffs: part 3

https://tradebetablog.wordpress.com/...s-litmus-test/

Knock yourselves out and see if you understand it :lol:

Please excuse me for not even trying - let's wait and see what last minute fudge is agreed

la mancha Nov 11th 2017 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12380033)
why ? Tried to find a link to this but can't find it .....

Cannot find the figures at the moment but this link will back up what I posted.

Recently a Dutch company, Fruit Avenue BV, received the first Egyptian Navel Oranges. According to Nico Persoon, responsible for sales within the Dutch branch of Fruit Avenue… "Normally, the price of these (Egyptian) oranges is slightly below the Spanish," he says. "And the costs of transport are no longer an obstacle these days. A container by ship from Egypt is actually cheaper than a truck from Spain."

Good Egyptian citrus season expected

As for why, why ask me?

Cape Blue Nov 11th 2017 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12380025)
Can you explain why non EU exports as % of our exports is declining while exports to the Eu are rising.
Who need who more ?

Zero to do with the point I am making.

Cape Blue Nov 11th 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12380023)
So how many EU migrants arrived 20 years ago.
I take it you are just as unhappy with 60 years of commonwealth immigrants and non EU who every year outnumber EU migrants

Net immigration to the UK started in 1996.

Yes, excessive mass migration has negative impacts regardless of who they are.

Former Lancastrian Nov 11th 2017 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12380046)
Please excuse me for not even trying - let's wait and see what last minute fudge is agreed

No I want to know now. Will I be paying more for Spanish oranges? Im partial to the odd South African or Moroccan orange as well. Now when I have that extra few quid in my pocket perhaps I go for the Californian or Florida ones or even Brazilian ones.
Now to offset the costs I could sell my home in London or the Home Counties and move Oop North and with the profits buy whatever oranges I feel like and really don't give a crap about tariffs or growing seasons or if they were transported by sea container or in the back of a semi trailer. Hell I might even have them flown in via air freight.
We can actually grow oranges in the UK but we have no more space to build greenhouses etc as that land is needed to build new housing for the hordes of immigrants and refugees entering the UK so in the end its not all about the
****ing oranges unless you are Trump.

Garbatellamike Nov 11th 2017 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12380053)
No I want to know now. Will I be paying more for Spanish oranges? Im partial to the odd South African or Moroccan orange as well. Now when I have that extra few quid in my pocket perhaps I go for the Californian or Florida ones or even Brazilian ones.
Now to offset the costs I could sell my home in London or the Home Counties and move Oop North and with the profits buy whatever oranges I feel like and really don't give a crap about tariffs or growing seasons or if they were transported by sea container or in the back of a semi trailer. Hell I might even have them flown in via air freight.
We can actually grow oranges in the UK but we have no more space to build greenhouses etc as that land is needed to build new housing for the hordes of immigrants and refugees entering the UK so in the end its not all about the
****ing oranges unless you are Trump.

I prefer apples myself and pears so aren't overly excited by oranges either ;)

EMR Nov 11th 2017 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12380049)
Zero to do with the point I am making.

The point you are happy to ignore is the increasing reliance on the EU by the UK economy.
Both in imports and exports.

EMR Nov 11th 2017 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12380051)
Net immigration to the UK started in 1996.

Yes, excessive mass migration has negative impacts regardless of who they are.

At least you are honest, EU , non EU, commonwealth or non commonwealth are all the same to you.

DaveLovesDee Nov 11th 2017 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12380018)
Since the day we leave - we will vie with the USA as the largest customer of the EU.

The UK, the sixth largest economy in the world, is a huge market.

6th largest as a member of one of the largest trading blocs in the world.

Would we have been as high without the EU?

Where will we be 5yrs after Brexit?

LouisB Nov 11th 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12379918)
650,000 people moving to the UK each year is mass migration.

Near 40% of London being foreign-born is mass migration.

28% of all babies born in the UK being to foreign-born mothers is mass migration.

The UK's population surging by 8 million over the past 20 years whilst countries like Germany have a static population is mass migration.

We have a net migration of 350,000 pa plus babies born to foreign mothers of 200,000 pa - that's a 550,000pa net increase in UK population solely down to migration.

That's 230,000 houses required each year just to keep up with immigration-driven population increase.

"Studies" can show whatever they intend to show - you can show that GDP has increased, but what about the more pertinent GDP per head?

One study showed that migrants paid-in taxes that were greater than benefits they took, but living in the UK there are a range of services you get such as police, military, NHS, social services, parks and gardens etc etc and not all of these were included, one "study" by UCL decided that foreigners shouldn't have to contribute to the UK military and arbitrarily dropped that cost of the costs side.

Net EU migration is around the same as the ROW migration, but you are indeed correct, Government has failed to control non-EU migration as well - bending to our desperate need to import curry chefs from the Indian sub continent (read import relatives to work on slave wages and live above the restaurant) rather than train home-grown cooks in catering colleges.

What we need is a net-zero migration policy for the next 5 years in order to sort out housing, wages, productivity, infrastructure, with an annual capped employer-driven migration system like the US' H1B or L1.

Awww bless.

What about the real net EU migration figures? I know what they are, looked into it.

Now I doubt you do.

Also, housing crisis is nothing to do with the immigration levels. Honestly, you should look into that too.

Next, you’ll be calling it an invasion. Sad.

Garbatellamike Nov 12th 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12380103)
6th largest as a member of one of the largest trading blocs in the world.

Would we have been as high without the EU?

Where will we be 5yrs after Brexit?

5th or 215th depending on your prejudices but I vote 6/7th

DaveLovesDee Nov 12th 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12380222)
5th or 215th depending on your prejudices but I vote 6/7th

My prejudices have nothing to do with our ranking within the world economies. Now, or in 5yrs.

Bipat Nov 12th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12380097)
At least you are honest, EU , non EU, commonwealth or non commonwealth are all the same to you.

Presumably you find a difference? Be honest!:lol:

EMR Nov 12th 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12380232)
Presumably you find a difference? Be honest!:lol:

NO I DO NOT.
Colour ,origin or religion are irrelevant.
It's how a person behaves, how they contribute to society that counts.
I have less tolerance against anyone who thinks differently, who targets a religion rather than the acts of an individual as an example.

Bipat Nov 12th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12380237)
NO I DO NOT.
Colour ,origin or religion are irrelevant.
It's how a person behaves, how they contribute to society that counts.
I have less tolerance against anyone who thinks differently, who targets a religion rather than the acts of an individual as an example.

So why the criticism of the OP that he sees them as all the same??:lol:
So you are happy that post Brexit, free movement of a group of one origin will not happen--the rules for immigration will then be regardless of origin?