British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Sep 1st 2016 2:25 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12041146)
The vote went the way it did because of the disgraceful negativity of the Remain campaign and you and others like you can only blame yourselves for that.

Oh for crying out loud. What responsibility do I have for the Remain campaign? I wasn't part of the campaign, I'm just an ordinary voter like anybody else.

People saw through it. They saw through the negative comments and threats and scare stories from the media and politicians and from you and others like you, and they stuck two fingers up to the lot of you who think they know best.

Nonsense. As above, I've nothing to do with talking to anybody except for a few nobodies on both sides on here. I've no more influence than you and please don't try kidding yourself that what was written on BE by either side made a scrap of difference either way.

And I never made out that I know best - most of what I was posting was pointing out erroneous claims or idiotic statements about the way the EU and the UK interact or about which matters could or would be resolved if the UK voted to Leave. A discussion which I'm still having with Leavers who are making outlandish claims about what might happen in the future and what they're insisting on ruling out.

They saw through the personal insults and ridicule directed at the Farage and they did not like it. It was not only the Banks/Farage campaign: it was everything. They saw through the personal insults aimed at Johnson and other Leave campaigners and people did not like it. Because the insults and ridicule was all one way.

The Farage now, is it? Please!!

And you can't seriously expect anybody to back you up on the insults front. Just have a look at Dicky's and poorly's and Vexcore's and Azitwaz's and goodness knows how many others' postings for examples here. Look at any of the links they all posted. Look at all the abuse and name-calling that was directed at Cameron and at various of the EU leaders.

Very, very few of the remainers on here descended into insults and name-calling (I can think of one particular exception).

YOU and others like you are to blame for people voting ‘out’. No one else.

YOU and others like you educated the people you so despise because of their beliefs.

These people know what life is about. YOU and others like you did not give them enough credit for this. YOU and others like you think you know best. You still do.

Now we will leave the EU. Thanks!

Bollocks. I don't despise anybody much. I'll make exceptions for Farage and Johnson though, now that you've mentioned them. And anybody who simpers to Farage over his outrageous campaign that overstepped all the boundaries and did absolutely naff-all to add to the debate. It was barely worth you going to all that effort to argue your way through the finer detail of hundred-plus page pdfs - you might as well have gone straight for the jugular like the others on here. At least they're honest.

paulry Sep 1st 2016 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12041181)
Actually it would be useful!:lol::lol: It is such a complicated performance sponsoring visas for relatives from India when they visit us in UK. (We divide our time between the two countries!)

I rather like the way it seems to work here in Australia. The first time a relative visits there's lots of hoops to jump through. But assuming they leave when they are supposed to and don't cause hassles, each successive visa application for them just gets easier and easier. The latest application for my dad it took just 90 seconds for the "visa approved" email to arrive in my in-box :thumbsup:

jimenato Sep 1st 2016 2:31 pm

...YOU and others like you are to blame for people voting ‘out’. No one else...

Don't blame other people - it's your fault - no-one else's.

Take responsibility for what you have done.

paulry Sep 1st 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12041202)
Oh for crying out loud. What responsibility do I have for the Remain campaign? I wasn't part of the campaign, I'm just an ordinary voter like anybody else.

Nonsense. As above, I've nothing to do with talking to anybody except for a few nobodies on both sides on here. I've no more influence than you and please don't try kidding yourself that what was written on BE by either side made a scrap of difference either way.

And I never made out that I know best - most of what I was posting was pointing out erroneous claims or idiotic statements about the way the EU and the UK interact or about which matters could or would be resolved if the UK voted to Leave. A discussion which I'm still having with Leavers who are making outlandish claims about what might happen in the future and what they're insisting on ruling out.

And you can't seriously expect anybody to back you up on the insults front. Just have a look at Dicky's and poorly's and Vexcore's and Azitwaz's and goodness knows how many others' postings for examples here. Look at any of the links they all posted. Look at all the abuse and name-calling that was directed at Cameron and at various of the EU leaders.

Very, very few of the remainers on here descended into insults and name-calling (I can think of one particular exception).

Bollocks. I don't despise anybody much. I'll make exceptions for Farage and Johnson though, now that you've mentioned them. And anybody who simpers to Farage over his outrageous campaign that overstepped all the boundaries and did absolutely naff-all to add to the debate. It was barely worth you going to all that effort to argue your way through the finer detail of hundred-plus page pdfs - you might as well have gone straight for the jugular like the others on here. At least they're honest.

And butter wouldn't melt in your mouth... :sneaky:

la mancha Sep 1st 2016 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12041202)

Now who is getting upset? A bit too close to the bone, am I? By the way, THE Farage was a typo. On reading it back now I would have thought that was obvious but in your nickety-pickety way you are clutching at anything to try and make a spurious assertion, aren’t you? Thanks for pointing it out. Don’t get so uptight with everything. Sit back and enjoy Brexit. Sorry the result didn't turn out as you expected.

la mancha Sep 1st 2016 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12041213)
Don't blame other people - it's your fault - no-one else's.

Take responsibility for what you have done.

My fault? Have I done something wrong here? I stand by my ‘out’ vote, of course I do, and I am glad it will help take the UK out of the EU, but it was the Remain camp that was responsible for the wrong (from their perspective) result. Everyone knows that. Get over it once and for all.

Wintersong Sep 1st 2016 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12041336)
My fault? Have I done something wrong here? I stand by my ‘out’ vote, of course I do, and I am glad it will help take the UK out of the EU, but it was the Remain camp that was responsible for the wrong (from their perspective) result. Everyone knows that. Get over it once and for all.

Sad as I am that the vote went the way it did, I have to agree with this. The remain camp ran a ludicrously shoddy campaign.

Gordon Barlow Sep 1st 2016 4:39 pm

Nigel Farage Warns "The Establishment Is Losing Control Over The People" | Zero Hedge
Posted here for people who didn't read it on ZH. Nigel is spot on. It's why UKIP won so many votes in the last UK election - and why Trump has such support in the USA. And it explains the popularity of Marine Le Pen's bunch and all the other European protest parties.

Oh, and note to the mindless yobs: don't bother jeering at the alternative media and their writers' opinions. You've done it so often before, it amounts to pure trolling, after a while.

Vexcore Sep 1st 2016 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12040995)
EU free movement - The right of EU nationals and their family members to live and work in any EU member state.

I'm fine with that, but BREXIT IS BREXIT no?

Having Freedom of movement in this country was good at the start... but now it took the ultimate piss

Visas are the way to go, control checks secure. (other countries do this so the UK should)

Red Eric Sep 1st 2016 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12041333)
Now who is getting upset? A bit too close to the bone, am I? By the way, THE Farage was a typo. On reading it back now I would have thought that was obvious but in your nickety-pickety way you are clutching at anything to try and make a spurious assertion, aren’t you? Thanks for pointing it out. Don’t get so uptight with everything. Sit back and enjoy Brexit. Sorry the result didn't turn out as you expected.

Hardly - I'm not having panic attacks and having to announce that I'm going out for a breather.

I admit I thought the "the" was a homage to Trump. Most Brexiters seem to be creaming their pants about the prospect of him as President and it wouldn't have surprised me in the least to find you're an admirer now you're out of the closet about your admiration for that type of political campaigning. And Farage is now advising him.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2016 5:31 pm

Brexit boost: Britain will remain financial hub of Europe, pro-EU banker claims | UK | News | Daily Express

"The English head of German giant Deutsche Bank was initially against Brexit in the run-up to the referendum but has now changed his opinion.

The banking boss has argued that London’s role will be “very different” but will remain at the centre of world finance."

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2016 5:37 pm

Brexit: No boost for Scottish independence despite EU referendum, shock poll finds | UK | News | Daily Express

Oh dear poor Nicola, after all that anger and frothing at the mouth.....:lol:

Dick Dasterdly Sep 1st 2016 5:53 pm

Pound jumps as UK manufacturing posts joint biggest rebound in 25 years

DaveLovesDee Sep 1st 2016 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 12041346)
Sad as I am that the vote went the way it did, I have to agree with this. The remain camp ran a ludicrously shoddy campaign.

Agreed. And the Leave camp ran their campaign based on lies and misrepresentions, and greatly benefited from a parallel campaign run by Farage, whose own campaign had no official standing yet was quoted extensively in the media.

Wintersong Sep 1st 2016 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12041481)
Agreed. And the Leave camp ran their campaign based on lies and misrepresentions, and greatly benefited from a parallel campaign run by Farage, whose own campaign had no official standing yet was quoted extensively in the media.

They ran it primarily by stoking the public's fears.

Seeing their success, remain tried to emulate that, but unfortunately they set their IQ bar too high.