British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Oct 25th 2017 2:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12368202)
Oh dear. May is now contradicting Davis in the Commons and saying we should get a Parliamentary vote before the exit.

How organized and together the government is......

With their confusing messages they are just pushing companies out of the UK

Toyota says Brexit 'fog' must clear to safeguard UK plant | Reuters

“We cannot stay in this kind of fog when we don’t know what will be the output of the negotiations,” Toyota Executive Vice President Didier Leroy said at the Tokyo Motor Show.

007Steve Oct 25th 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12368163)
English Democracy ? :sarcasm:

...In fairness to the guy, now he's apparently been over-ruled, he gets his orders not from May or the Cabinet, but the extreme rightwing group led by Redwood & Co, - per Laura Kuenssberg's unedited blip which went out last week on BBC4
It reminds me a bit of a mutiny. The Captain(ess) prances-about on the bridge in her sexiest shoes talking tough while the officers’ spin the ship’s wheel back & forth. But the mutineers have control of the rudder and sails….
Meanwhile we, the cargo’, is securely stowed in the smelly unlit holds below deck ready to be sold to the highest bidders in exchange for some half-a****-Trade-Deal-Lucre, when and wherever we dock….
Just great, …..innit.

Annetje Oct 26th 2017 6:43 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...68491.html?amp

“Well, she’ll know the summary outcomes of them,” he said. “She won’t necessarily have read every single one, they are in excruciating detail.”
Asked if the rest of the Cabinet had seen the assessments, Mr Davis said: “No, they won’t, they will have seen the summary outcomes, that’s all.”

Hmmm, If this is true there is really no hope for the UK.

Does this mean only DD has a bit of an idea what might happen ? Poor UK !!!

007Steve Oct 26th 2017 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje;12369174[COLOR=Blue
l[/COLOR]

Hmmm, If this is true there is really no hope for the UK.

Does this mean only DD has a bit of an idea what might happen ? Poor UK !!!

That's it Annetje.
He (plus Johnson & Fox) report to Redwood & tribe who clear ALL Brexit information releases, plus approve 'strategy':rofl: for the negotiations..... It's been like that since the election 'victory'.
May keeps her title & pay, but the Nutters have the power and rule.

Annetje Oct 26th 2017 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12369213)
That's it Annetje.
He (plus Johnson & Fox) report to Redwood & tribe who clear ALL Brexit information releases, plus approve 'strategy':rofl: for the negotiations..... It's been like that since the election 'victory'.
May keeps her title & pay, but the Nutters have the power and rule.

I thought for a moment she is afraid of hights and doesn't want to know how far down she will fall off the edge :rofl::rofl:

Annetje Oct 29th 2017 7:35 am

Isn't it wonderful how well prepared they are for the cliff edge ...

Liam Fox ridiculed as ‘man of solitude’ over claims his department lacks seasoned trade negotiators | The Independent

“He has established a Board of Trade of which he is the only member, and we now discover that he runs a Department for International Trade that employs just one professional trade negotiator.” :amen:

“The Department for International Trade does not currently hold central data on the language skills of its workforce,”:rofl:

And he still insists a Brexit trade deal will be easiest in history :sarcasm:

007Steve Oct 29th 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12370419)
Isn't it wonderful how well prepared they are for the cliff edge ...

Liam Fox ridiculed as ‘man of solitude’ over claims his department lacks seasoned trade negotiators | The Independent

“He has established a Board of Trade of which he is the only member, and we now discover that he runs a Department for International Trade that employs just one professional trade negotiator.” :amen:

“The Department for International Trade does not currently hold central data on the language skills of its workforce,”:rofl:

And he still insists a Brexit trade deal will be easiest in history :sarcasm:

Govt. Ministers’ are very busy people’ - Whitehall tells you so. But the fact he’s on his own doesn’t mean he’s short of inspiration because, if he gets lonely, he can go and ask his Brexit-soul-mate for ideas...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5027709/Brexit-Minister-Mark-Garnier-sent-PA-buy-sex-toys.html
As May can’t sack him without The Nutters descending on her back, he'll probably be made the next Minister for Women’s Affairs…...:sarcasm:
I’ll say it again - and on behalf of the UK taxpayers back there who are paying for all this ‘Statesmanship & Stewardship of the Nation’s Future’ -
REPUBLIC - NOW !!!

DaveLovesDee Oct 29th 2017 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12370466)
Govt. Ministers’ are very busy people’ - Whitehall tells you so. But the fact he’s on his own doesn’t mean he’s short of inspiration because, if he gets lonely, he can go and ask his Brexit-soul-mate for ideas...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5027709/Brexit-Minister-Mark-Garnier-sent-PA-buy-sex-toys.html
As May can’t sack him without The Nutters descending on her back, he'll probably be made the next Minister for Women’s Affairs…...:sarcasm:
I’ll say it again - and on behalf of the UK taxpayers back there who are paying for all this ‘Statesmanship & Stewardship of the Nation’s Future’ -
REPUBLIC - NOW !!!

I'm not sure a Republic is the answer, but as always, it'll be down to the details. But I'm not a Monarchist either, nor an anti-one.

The Monarchy has provided a symbol of stability of sorts throughout the years, no matter which political party has been in power. Removing the Monarchy to replace it with some kind of President doesn't appeal to me because such a President will be beholden to his party (unless such a President is elected along non-party lines). Given previous comments from some of the peanut gallery about 'un-elected' Presidents in the EU, I'd be surprised if this was something Leavers would agree to.

007Steve Oct 29th 2017 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12370499)
I'm not sure a Republic is the answer, but as always, it'll be down to the details. But I'm not a Monarchist either, nor an anti-one.

The Monarchy has provided a symbol of stability of sorts throughout the years, no matter which political party has been in power. Removing the Monarchy to replace it with some kind of President doesn't appeal to me because such a President will be beholden to his party (unless such a President is elected along non-party lines). Given previous comments from some of the peanut gallery about 'un-elected' Presidents in the EU, I'd be surprised if this was something Leavers would agree to.

I take your point DLD & it's very valid. But WHAT else can be done with this decayed elitist caste? They represent no-one but themselves; they sponge from the taxpayer; produce NOTHING & then just slither-between-the-raindrops.
I've an increasingly fading memory these days, and since I posted last I've been racking it because something was bothering me, but I just can't recall it. .... Isn't he someone's Son & Heir??? His father.... Ex Great & Good was something in the legal-elite or something??? I recall there was an outcry over something he did or was allegedly (libel protection!!) involved in circa 70's / 80's... (Anybody? Help a senile-old-git out please)
In any event, we simply can't be in a worse position when there is a change, and there must be. Just because we've been doing something for 500 years doesn't mean it's right or even fit for the 21st Century.
Frankly, if a TV audience can elect a dance-show winner every week then I'm certain some replacement system can be found that doesn't run on party lines or entitlement-by-birth. BUT CHANGE THERE HAS TO BE.

DaveLovesDee Oct 29th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12370544)
I take your point DLD & it's very valid. But WHAT else can be done with this decayed elitist caste? They represent no-one but themselves; they sponge from the taxpayer; produce NOTHING & then just slither-between-the-raindrops.

I think you'll find that the Monarchy receives an income from the UK government because in 2012, the Sovereign Grant Act came into force.

The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 came into effect on 1 April 2012. It sets the single grant supporting the monarch’s official business, enabling The Queen to discharge her duties as Head of State. It meets the central staff costs and running expenses of Her Majesty’s official household – such things as official receptions, investitures, garden parties and so on. It also covers maintenance of the Royal Palaces in England and the cost of travel to carry out royal engagements such as opening buildings and other royal visits.

In exchange for this public support, The Queen surrenders the revenue from The Crown Estate to the government which for 2015-16 was £304.1 million. The Sovereign Grant for 2017-18 is £76.1 million.

HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, receives an annual Parliamentary annuity of £359,000 to meet the expenses of carrying out his public duties in support of the Queen.
For 2017-2018, the Queen receives around a quarter of the money that the government received from the Crown Estate in 2015-2016. That's a profit to the UK government of over £225 million. Isn't that a fantastic deal?

macliam Oct 29th 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12370595)
I think you'll find that the Monarchy receives an income from the UK government because in 2012, the Sovereign Grant Act came into force.

For 2017-2018, the Queen receives around a quarter of the money that the government received from the Crown Estate in 2015-2016. That's a profit to the UK government of over £225 million. Isn't that a fantastic deal?

Well, I guess that's if you suppose it was all honestly obrtained in the first place or should ever be considered the property of one person or family:sneaky: For example :
The Crown Estate owns approximately 55% of the UK's foreshore; other owners of UK foreshore include the Duchy of Cornwall and the Duchy of Lancaster.
The Crown Estate owns virtually all of the UK's seabed from mean low water to the 12-nautical-mile (22 km) limit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate)

George III surrendered the revenues of the Crown estates in return for a payment from the civil list. In doing so, he handed control to a corporation, who run and manage it. The revenue has not gone to the crown since then and it is this payment from the civil list that was renegotiated in the act mentioned.

DaveLovesDee Oct 29th 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12370610)
Well, I guess that's if you suppose it was all honestly obtained in the first place

Were any nation's wealth obtained honestly or fairly in the first place. How much wealth did the Catholic Church amass by stealing it from those they converted. How much did the Spanish, French, Portuguese and British gain from plundering countries they colonised as well?

007Steve Oct 29th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12370627)
Were any nation's wealth obtained honestly or fairly in the first place. How much wealth did the Catholic Church amass by stealing it from those they converted. How much did the Spanish, French, Portuguese and British gain from plundering countries they colonised as well?

So that it's clear DLD;
1. My view concern all politicos – right, centre, left & extremes; - especially those unemployable workers’ hero's ‘Lenin Corbyn’ and ‘Pol-Pot MacDonald’. It’s about the total abolition of the current cankered system & a blank sheet start-over, not retention of any part – including royalty.
2. Either these elitist caste/s are going to give way voluntarily or another method will get used; - imo we’ve reached the end of the national rope here, so unless change comes voluntarily you may well witness the totally unimaginable occur in the UK - a coup attempt. Not fanciful at all.
You’ve already had cases of service personnel involved with extremist groups; - because the civilian/military compact has been so abused & regularly broken. The army/navy/air-force have all been routinely humiliated by cut-backs & then sent to fight with totally inadequate resources for politics- not the Crown (aka the nation) which they swore to serve. Loyalty is a two-way street. They’re fed-up, resentful, and like every institution contain hot-heads not too far off from doing something about it. The heads of those services have long been politicised, so are as much out of touch as the politicos.
.. Over to the ‘In’ baskets of our Betters & Social Superiors.
As one sows so one reaps – right?

EMR Oct 30th 2017 10:56 am

If there is still a Brexiter who still denies the effects on UK food costs following the brexit vote fall in sterling on food costs.
UK government figures 2016

Fruit and veg imports 10.3bn£
Exports 1.1bn£
Meat imports 6.2bn£
Exports 1.6bn£
Fish imports 3.1bn£
Exports 1.6bn£
Dairy imports 2.8bn£
Exports 1.4bn£

So much for self sufficiency Mr Grayling.

Annetje Oct 31st 2017 4:35 pm

Is there really no end to this man his stupidity ? After all his insults as MEP he should be utterly ashamed of himself !

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3672176.html

I hope Barnier turns down his request ...