British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Oct 16th 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12362360)
The EU27 are collaborating with each other...

Quite.

And surely it can't have escaped anybody's notice (even those who claim not to read newspapers) that the members of the UK Cabinet are not.

Cape Blue Oct 16th 2017 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12362359)
True, but there's still no reason to inflict significant damage to the economy and marginalise ourselves.

A couple of days ago I saw an EU somebody chastising the US on something. I couldn't help think how much economic/poltical power we in the EU have as a bloc compared to a single nation griping about the US (or China or wherever). This is a different world from 1940's when Britain and France were colonial powers and big players on the international stage. This is what the dewy eyed majors at Brexit Towers don't quite understand.

That's quaint - you think the US gives a F about what the EU thinks?

Cape Blue Oct 16th 2017 7:08 pm

The EU27 are collaborating with each other...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/56/aa/f6/5...daee8d9531.jpg

Change the word 'scientist' with expert. :p

It’s time to face up to the prospect of Brexit Armageddon

Their list appears the usual project fear madness:

Weeks and months of lockdown at ports in Dover, Calais, Antwerp, or Rotterdam
Rotting food products waiting for certification or approval for exports
Hundreds of thousands of cross border business contracts disrupted and in limbo
A massive surge in unemployment as business lay off personnel – EU nationals, but also British personnel – due to the sudden business crunch
A resurgence of violence in Ireland and at the very least a major diplomatic spat with Dublin
The Home Office increasing the number of random expulsion notes to hundreds of thousands of EU nationals who have legally resided in Britain for years
Employers dismissing EU nationals, banks shutting down EU nationals’ accounts, landlords kicking out their EU national tenants
A further surge in hate crime, possibly deadly riots, and continued rise in police violence
More than one million British citizens across the EU subject to the generally restrictive national immigration laws of member states applying to non EU citizens
UK and EU courts clogged with cases brought by businesses and citizens against violations of their rights
Massive capital flight, a further plunge to the British pound, possibly financial crisis
Regardless, the question was about Brexit, not zero-agreement brexit.

EMR Oct 16th 2017 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12362382)
That's quaint - you think the US gives a F about what the EU thinks?

It clearly thinks even less of what the UK thinks.

GeniB Oct 16th 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12362108)
Ignoring an entire country, vast majority etc etc - stop telling fibs:

Latest poll:

Corbin 42
May 39

Not even a majority and certainly not the entire country - you are deluding yourself (possibly being blinded by hatred?).

Jeez Do you make it up as you go along? The word 'hatred' did not appear in any of my posts.. You introduced it. 'Latest Polls' ? you are joking aren't you..

007Steve Oct 16th 2017 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12362362)
But not the position that some brexiters think.
Our economy is grossly imbalanced and We are one of the least productive economies.
Nothing in Brexit suggests any change in that scenario.

... and 52% of the Greatly-ill-informed-Electorate voted for it carrying on that way......
All they have to do, post 2019, is to be able pay for it.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Golden Years Oct 16th 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12362227)
Prof Michael Dougan explains.

Doubtless when you have watched this and understand the issue you will change your position.:flypig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6F0inyJPDc

I watched it.
Was he part of the "Project Fear" brigade? He would fit in well on this board because he has the attitude that if you don't agree with him you know "zero" about the subject matter.
He kept saying that the EU is not about protectionism and vindictiveness but, in my opinion, he is wrong, it is. Just look at the CAP for protectionism and the parlous state of the Greek populous for vindictiveness.
Given an FTA framework we can maintain the current "comparative" standards with the EU so the regulatory environment should not be a problem.
At the same time, outside of the customs union, we are free to press on with symbiotic trade agreements with other countries and other trading blocs.

Garbatellamike Oct 16th 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12362402)
Jeez Do you make it up as you go along? The word 'hatred' did not appear in any of my posts.. You introduced it. 'Latest Polls' ? you are joking aren't you..

I am joking about the hatred but only one of us is making things up and it isn't me

here, for the hard of understanding, are the latest polls... http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Garbatellamike Oct 16th 2017 7:45 pm

The EU27 are collaborating with each other

That's true but isn't the point under discussion

amideislas Oct 16th 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12362414)
I watched it.
Was he part of the "Project Fear" brigade? He would fit in well on this board because he has the attitude that if you don't agree with him you know "zero" about the subject matter.
He kept saying that the EU is not about protectionism and vindictiveness but, in my opinion, he is wrong, it is. Just look at the CAP for protectionism and the parlous state of the Greek populous for vindictiveness.
Given an FTA framework we can maintain the current "comparative" standards with the EU so the regulatory environment should not be a problem.
At the same time, outside of the customs union, we are free to press on with symbiotic trade agreements with other countries and other trading blocs.

That's right: in your opinion.

In a macro view, it's a rather unique opinion, since the only people who seem to harbour that view are a fractional segment of the British electorate. The rest of the world sees it more objectively. And quite differently.

Red Eric Oct 16th 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12362136)

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12362076)
May offered to do the rights of respective Expats quickly - EU response -No!

May urged to match EU's offer on rights of Britons living in Europe

EU citizens 'bitterly disappointed' with post-Brexit rights offer

It was rather telling that on a TV debate here in Portugal last night, 2 MEPs who'd not normally see anything from anywhere near the same perspective, either domestically or with regard to the EU, were in complete agreement with regard to that charade played out by May and swallowed so easily by a small but very vocal ;) section of the UK public.

Garbatellamike Oct 16th 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12362456)
It was rather telling that on a TV debate here in Portugal last night, 2 MEPs who'd not normally see anything from anywhere near the same perspective, either domestically or with regard to the EU, were in complete agreement with regard to that charade played out by May and swallowed so easily by a small but very vocal ;) section of the UK public.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: nice one

Annetje Oct 16th 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12362461)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: nice one

Does that mean the ball is in your court ? :rofl:

Red Eric Oct 16th 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12362477)

He always does that when he's stuck for a response ;)

Garbatellamike Oct 16th 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12362477)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: how many more times, it is Vulcan Chess not a ball game ;)