British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Oct 10th 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Talking about whipping up fear, May seems to have said she has no idea whether EU citizens will be allowed to stay in UK in case of ''No deal''.
Would that mean all UK expats should start packing their bags ?
Or is it just more scare mongering ?

Theresa May says she 'doesn't know' if EU citizens will be able to stay in Britain in a no-deal Brexit

May admitted that she "didn't know" what a no-deal Brexit would mean for the rights of EU citizens in Britain, but insisted that she and the government want them to stay.

Maybe she wants them to stay but without any rights ?

mrken30 Oct 10th 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12358062)
Talking about whipping up fear, May seems to have said she has no idea whether EU citizens will be allowed to stay in UK in case of ''No deal''.
Would that mean all UK expats should start packing their bags ?
Or is it just more scare mongering ?

Theresa May says she 'doesn't know' if EU citizens will be able to stay in Britain in a no-deal Brexit

May admitted that she "didn't know" what a no-deal Brexit would mean for the rights of EU citizens in Britain, but insisted that she and the government want them to stay.

Maybe she wants them to stay but without any rights ?

She is hoping that more NHS workers leave the UK

Annetje Oct 10th 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12358069)
She is hoping that more NHS workers leave the UK

Seems reasonable, since they asked for more money today. If they have less workers they won't need the extra money ... :sneaky:

But I thought she was preparing the ''no deal'' scenario. Now, if she doesn't know if they can stay, then who does know ?
Can assure you, the FB sides of EU citizens in UK are hot red tonight.
She shouldn't be playing with people like that. It's disgraceful, even for a vicar's daughter !

Novocastrian Oct 10th 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12358075)
Seems reasonable, since they asked for more money today. If they have less workers they won't need the extra money ... :sneaky:

But I thought she was preparing the ''no deal'' scenario. Now, if she doesn't know if they can stay, then who does know ?
Can assure you, the FB sides of EU citizens in UK are hot red tonight.
She shouldn't be playing with people like that. It's disgraceful, even for a vicar's daughter !

It all on where the balls are. The UK only has bluster.

Annetje Oct 10th 2017 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12358078)
It all on where the balls are. The UK only has bluster.

Balls are lost, no-one knows where they are :p

Novocastrian Oct 10th 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12358080)
Balls are lost, no-one knows where they are :p

One has a suspicion as to where they're not.

Annetje Oct 10th 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12358082)
One has a suspicion as to where they're not.

:amen:

Shard Oct 10th 2017 6:52 pm

Both sides now contemplating "no deal" - these bluffing strategies can become self fulfilling. On balance, I blame the UK negotiating team, insisting on the delusion that when Britain says 'jump' every other country will say 'how high'.

Expatrick Oct 10th 2017 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12358086)
Both sides now contemplating "no deal" - these bluffing strategies can become self fulfilling. On balance, I blame the UK negotiating team, insisting on the delusion that when Britain says 'jump' every other country will say 'how high'.

:goodpost:

Garbatellamike Oct 10th 2017 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12358086)

I think both sides are playing their cards as expected. There will be a long Mexican stand off over divorce bill vs trade deal and we will then get a fudge in early 2019 or a hard Brexit.

Garbatellamike Oct 10th 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12358054)
They aren't my rights, they are EU rights, and we have (had) them in addition to any version of those rights conferred upon us by our separate nationalities.

My main point out of all that was that none of them are very threatening, are they. They are all closely related to rights we have as nationals and presumably nothing listed there is something that most people here would argue strenuously against or find objectionable? So whipping up fear about EU citizenship was just one, big, giant red herring designed to manipulate.

agree that but we had those EU rights before the EU existed. They are rights not just EU rights. If you are saying we qon't have those rights if we'd never joined the EU then I think that is not right.

None of them threaten anyone and I also agree the Citizenship is a big red kipper

EMR Oct 10th 2017 8:01 pm

If you wanted any more evidence that our brexit trade negotiators are not of this world the the Telegraph confirmed it,
Apparently they are considering joining Nafta.
Have they not heard of Trump and "America First" or be following the Bombardier story.
To think we trust these morons with doing the best brexit deal for the UK.

Shard Oct 10th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12358110)
I think both sides are playing their cards as expected. There will be a long Mexican stand off over divorce bill vs trade deal and we will then get a fudge in early 2019 or a hard Brexit.

I get that the trade deal is complicated. But the divorce bill, citizens rights, NI, all no brainers. Could have been sorted Week 1.

Probably right about the timing.

Garbatellamike Oct 10th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12358124)
I get that the trade deal is complicated. But the divorce bill, citizens rights, NI, all no brainers. Could have been sorted Week 1.

Probably right about the timing.

agree most of that but don't think you can agree the divorce bill without progress on trade talks

Shard Oct 10th 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12358131)
agree most of that but don't think you can agree the divorce bill without progress on trade talks

Could agree a range and make that contingent on the trade talks. They are linked, but it should not be an obstacle fir either side.