British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Garbatellamike Oct 9th 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12357002)
Thoughtful conversation is not moaning.

I agree with you there - when is Expatrick going to start thoughtful conversation then? ;-)

mrken30 Oct 9th 2017 3:32 pm

I hope none of these Brexiters are claiming for Ryan air flight compensation under EU legislation. All the legislation passed by the EU was bad, very, very, bad.

Garbatellamike Oct 9th 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12357200)
All the legislation passed by the EU was bad, very, very, bad.

I beg to differ - that's untrue

mrken30 Oct 9th 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12357201)
I beg to differ - that's untrue

Some people are very selective on what is presented in an argument and do not look at the global picture.

I agree with you.

Garbatellamike Oct 9th 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12357205)
Some people are very selective on what is presented in an argument and do not look at the global picture.

I agree with you.

Ah thanks - I missed that subtlety

mrken30 Oct 9th 2017 3:44 pm

This will be interesting to watch

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1CE1IQ

I wonder if May will be able to put anything in place before 2020?

Garbatellamike Oct 9th 2017 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12357208)
This will be interesting to watch

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1CE1IQ

I wonder if May will be able to put anything in place before 2020?

probably not but she might have to rethink here posture on becoming an off shore tax haven to make up for it

InVinoVeritas Oct 9th 2017 4:29 pm

Getting back to the 1975 referendum on the continued membership of the EEC under new terms. we were told:-

The White Paper on the new Market terms recently presented to Parliament by the Prime Minister declares that through membership of the Market we are better able to advance and protect our national interests. This is the essence of sovereignty.

InVinoVeritas Oct 9th 2017 4:33 pm

Also this:-

We are only at the start of our relationship with the Community. If we stay inside we can play a full part in helping it to develop the way we want it to develop. Already Britain's influence has produced changes for the better. That process can go on. The Common Market can be made better still.

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12357240)
Getting back to the 1975 referendum on the continued membership of the EEC under new terms. we were told:-

The White Paper on the new Market terms recently presented to Parliament by the Prime Minister declares that through membership of the Market we are better able to advance and protect our national interests. This is the essence of sovereignty.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12357245)
Also this:-

We are only at the start of our relationship with the Community. If we stay inside we can play a full part in helping it to develop the way we want it to develop. Already Britain's influence has produced changes for the better. That process can go on. The Common Market can be made better still.

Both statements were/are still true.

Do you think otherwise?

EMR Oct 9th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12357240)

Another who keeps referring to the past when brexit is about the future of the UK the prosperity and security of it people and business community.

Novocastrian Oct 9th 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12357256)
Another who keeps referring to the past when brexit is about the future of the UK the prosperity and security of it people and business community.

Brexit is actually about destroying those things.

InVinoVeritas Oct 9th 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12357256)

Whereas you want to go back to the past :p

BristolUK Oct 9th 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12356793)
That doesn't refute the fact that we don't do referenda - we do parliamentary democracy - the two don't mix too well

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12356850)
The two have mixed on more than two occasions...

Three?

The UK parliamentary democracy is a whole, so it would make sense to consider only those referendums that have involved the whole of the UK and not those restricted to a minority of people and/or parts only.

That there have only been three would seem to suggest they don't mix well.

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12356867)
Spot the deliberate error!

I thought the error was including limited ones.

Garbatellamike Oct 9th 2017 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12357260)
Brexit is actually about destroying those things.

hope you are wrong