Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:40 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
"and, as of 2017, the most recent is the 2014 Scottish independence referendum"
read the whole snippet and note the use of the word "ALSO" that may help you keep up.. SIGH SIGH SIGH
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:46 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
14 referendums says it all - just stop moaning and move on
Here's the list -

8 March 1973: Northern Ireland – Northern Ireland sovereignty referendum on whether Northern Ireland should remain part of the United Kingdom or join the Republic of Ireland (yes to remaining part of the UK)
5 June 1975: UK – Membership of the European Community referendum on whether the UK should stay in the European Community (yes)
1 March 1979: Scotland – Scottish devolution referendum on whether there should be a Scottish Assembly (40 per cent of the electorate had to vote yes in the referendum, although a small majority voted yes this was short of the 40 per cent threshold required to enact devolution)
1 March 1979: Wales – Welsh devolution referendum on whether there should be a Welsh Assembly (no)
11 September 1997: Scotland – Scottish devolution referenda on whether there should be a Scottish Parliament and whether the Scottish Parliament should have tax varying powers (both referendums received a yes vote)
18 September 1997: Wales – Welsh devolution referendum on whether there should be a National Assembly for Wales (yes)
7 May 1998: London – Greater London Authority referendum on whether there should be a Mayor of London and Greater London Authority (yes)
22 May 1998: Northern Ireland – Northern Ireland Belfast Agreement referendum on the Good Friday Agreement (yes)
3 March 2011: Wales - Welsh devolution referendum on whether the National Assembly for Wales should gain the power to legislate on a wider range of matters (yes)
5 May 2011: UK – referendum on whether to change the voting system for electing MPs to the House of Commons from first past the post to the alternative vote (no, first past the post will continue to be used to elect MPs to the House of Commons)
18 September 2014: Scotland – referendum on whether Scotland should become an independent country (no, the electorate voted 55 per cent to 45 per cent in favour of Scotland remaining within the UK.

That's 11 plus 1 = 12, not 14.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:46 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

read the whole snippet and note the use of the word "ALSO" that may help you keep up.. SIGH SIGH SIGH
Nope - not clear from the snippet you quoted that that was the meaning - you would need to see what came before in order do know what the 'also' referred to, and as you didn't provide a link to the source (contrary to forum rules I think) it was not possible to do so.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:48 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Nope - not clear from the snippet you quoted that that was the meaning - you would need to see what came before in order do know what the 'also' referred to, and as you didn't provide a link to the source (contrary to forum rules I think) it was not possible to do so.
Oh well ban me then for such a hideous crime
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:59 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

14 referendums says it all - just stop moaning and move on
Like everyone moved on after the 1975 vote, or moved on after the Scottish independence referenda.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:02 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember there was a referendum about joining the EU in 1975 - and that wasn't exactly pork-pie-free either.

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Oct 9th 2017 at 12:10 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:03 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Like everyone moved on after the 1975 vote, or moved on after the Scottish independence referenda.
well yes to the former but no to the latter. Although in fairness to Wee Jimmy she is now concentrating on the day job and I like her thinking on Rump EU citizens in the public sector
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
I seem to remember there was a referendum about joining the EU in 1975 - and that was exactly pork-pie-free either.
Yes indeed and everyone moved on until the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties, which hugely moved the goal posts.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:07 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember there was a referendum about joining the EU in 1975 - and that was exactly pork-pie-free either.
But those who voted against were not told to put up and shut up. or accused of being in patriotic, anti brit were they ?
No we had over 40 years on anti rhetoric.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:15 pm
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember there was a referendum about joining the EU in 1975 - and that wasn't exactly pork-pie-free either.
No, as posted above (my italics) -

5 June 1975: UK – Membership of the European Community referendum on whether the should stay in the European Community (yes)
Not the same thing.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:33 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Not the same thing.
Splitting hairs, the ink wasn't even dry
Old Oct 9th 2017, 12:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

no I understand your puerile moaning point and I disagree - stop moaning will you, there was a legal referendum and you lost - stop moaning and move on, you may even win the next referendum then it will be great and you can stop moaning

moan moan moan
Are you now Dick's voice, now that he's gone. Wtf?

Thoughtful conversation is not moaning.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Not the same thing.
No not the same thing.
However the 1975 referendum was regarding membership of the EEC not the EC as you keep saying.

Two major Treaties since and the EU founded in 1993, circumstances have changed.
The Labour party, as discussed before, also favoured a referendum.

The 1975 result was received without this amount of insult.
I voted remain in 1975, leave in 2016---apparently during those years I have become illiterate, xenophobic, isolationist etc. etc.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
It is interesting, Eric, although I cannot imagine the present regime considering such a volte-face in the short term, i.e before Mar '19. After a sustained period of real economic pain and growing civil disquiet they might well be brave enough, otherwise it'd be political suicide.

The huge army of Brexiteers are still out there, quieter than they once were but hopefully more reflective, swallowing their pride and reconsidering their position. <where did you get that flying pig emoji, Jim ?! >
I have been wondering why if Brexit negotiations don't appear to be delivering what the Brexit camp said Brexit would bring, why the government cant have the courage to call another referendum on such a major issue. A few months ago some said that was impossible, it seems within the realms of possibility now.

I admit I don't understand- if Brexit wont deliver financial benefits, wont significantly reduce immigration, and British companies to be able to export to Europe still have to comply with European regulations, what is the concrete benefit of Brexit ?
Old Oct 9th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
No not the same thing.
However the 1975 referendum was regarding membership of the EEC not the EC as you keep saying.

Two major Treaties since and the EU founded in 1993, circumstances have changed.
The Labour party, as discussed before, also favoured a referendum.

The 1975 result was received without this amount of insult.
I voted remain in 1975, leave in 2016---apparently during those years I have become illiterate, xenophobic, isolationist etc. etc.
Well said. An excellent summary of this long and arduous thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.