British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Aug 31st 2016 6:55 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12039708)
Yes, indeed it does. If true, it has all the hallmarks of the political correctness style that was used for years to silence Brexiteers, those who opposed mass immigration, and anyone who didn't get with the globalist agenda. :nod:

So how does it feel - now that the boot is on the other foot? :sneaky:

Brexiteers silenced?:sneaky:

They've been boringly banging on with their misconceptions and ignorant fallacies unhindered for years.

jimenato Aug 31st 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 12039677)
So the UK could just leave the ECHR, could it?

I believe so but as we founded it and, if we left we would be the only country in Europe not to be in it (bar Belarus for some reason), it would be a silly thing to do.

jimenato Aug 31st 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12039629)

:amen:

EMR Aug 31st 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12039711)
And there it is, straight to the moral low ground.

It happened to us so we're doing it to you.

And I'm not sure anyone silenced Brexiteers 'for years' as Brexit is a recent word.

If you read the headlines of the UK gutter press since the vote brexit is still fighting the campaign.
Guess what, immigration, immigration, not what will be best for the UK, its people its economy and our new relationship with the UK.

There will be some very unhappy brexiters when they realise that the DM and Express do not reflect the views of our new government.

Bipat Aug 31st 2016 7:49 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12039788)
If you read the headlines of the UK gutter press since the vote brexit is still fighting the campaign.
Guess what, immigration, immigration, not what will be best for the UK, its people its economy and our new relationship with the UK.

There will be some very unhappy brexiters when they realise that the DM and Express do not reflect the views of our new government.

EMR --two points.

Why do you spend time reading the "headlines of the UK gutter press"?

How do you personally know the "views" of our "new government"?

EMR Aug 31st 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12039796)
EMR --two points.

Why do you spend time reading the "headlines of the UK gutter press"?

How do you personally know the "views" of our "new government"?

You may not be aware that we have a government equally split between remainers and brexiters.
You should also know that our remainer PM , May has instructed her ministers to present papers on how brexit should benefit each of their departments.
Brexit will be about what is best for everyone in the UK not just the narrow minded within brexit.

Brexit aint about immigration, the views of the gutter press and its less informed and intelligent readers.
It will be about what is best for the UK, its , economy and its new relationship with the EU.

What do you think brexit should be about ?

I read the headlines, front pages of ALL the papers, excluding the red tops .

jimenato Aug 31st 2016 8:23 am

I'm starting to wonder what Brexiteers attitude is going to be to various outcomes.

I'm wondering if they will be able see any outcome as unsatisfactory (provided we leave of course).

If they actually admit that the outcome has been bad, will they also admit then that the leave vote which led to that outcome was itself wrong?

I don't see how they will be able to avoid admitting that which of course they will be unwilling to do.

So maybe they will simply have to accept virtually any outcome as good - to avoid having to admit they got it wrong.

jimenato Aug 31st 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12039824)
remove quote as post deleted

Tell you what - this place has gone seriously downhill since you came back.

I'm out.

Fredbargate Aug 31st 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12039830)
Tell you what - this place has gone seriously downhill since you came back.

I'm out.

I for one will be very sorry to see you leave Si although we have not always agreed you have presented your own thoughts honestly.

Bipat Aug 31st 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12039803)
You may not be aware that we have a government equally split between remainers and brexiters.
You should also know that our remainer PM , May has instructed her ministers to present papers on how brexit should benefit each of their departments.
Brexit will be about what is best for everyone in the UK not just the narrow minded within brexit.

Brexit aint about immigration, the views of the gutter press and its less informed and intelligent readers.
It will be about what is best for the UK, its , economy and its new relationship with the EU.

I am aware of what is reported in the newspapers. I asked you whether you had any personal information.
Mrs May never made it clear that she was a 'remainer' or not, I imagine she was thinking about her ambitions to be leader and fortunately she was successful.
I am also aware that Brexit is not about immigration, I have been making this point for several pages!:lol:

(I don't read any UK newspapers look up items on-line) (TOI, Deccan Herald, The Hindu according to what the local shop has that day.)

Main reason for 'shame'--reading this Forum and not resisting the impulse to reply to posts:lol::o

Editha Aug 31st 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12039873)
I am aware of what is reported in the newspapers. I asked you whether you had any personal information.
Mrs May never made it clear that she was a 'remainer' or not, I imagine she was thinking about her ambitions to be leader and fortunately she was successful.
I am also aware that Brexit is not about immigration, I have been making this point for several pages!:lol:

(I don't read any UK newspapers look up items on-line) (TOI, Deccan Herald, The Hindu according to what the local shop has that day.)

Main reason for 'shame'--reading this Forum and not resisting the impulse to reply to posts:lol::o

For someone who is obsessed by the subject, you are remarkably badly informed. May supported the Remain campaign. She made her views quite clear. But she did not take an active part in the campaign, probably for career reasons.

Brexit is about immigration for a very large portion of the electorate who voted for it. Research since the referendum has shown that this issue was the driving factor.

Fredbargate Aug 31st 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12039858)
Jersey girl asked me not to react to personal insults but to report them to her.
But I will rise above that.
This is about brexit not your pathetic fixation with one of your posts over a 1000 posts ago.

Did she also ask you to refrain from making insults?

Wol Aug 31st 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12039691)
ECHR

The UK could leave the ECHR, but it's a completely separate issue to Brexit.

Reality Check: Could the UK stay in EU but leave ECHR? - BBC News

An interesting question, and one which would have armies of lawyers salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

EMR Aug 31st 2016 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 12039949)
Reality Check: Could the UK stay in EU but leave ECHR? - BBC News

An interesting question, and one which would have armies of lawyers salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

Indeed a banquet for lawyers.
I like her comment "that it is NOT the EU we should leave " !!.

Wol Aug 31st 2016 10:46 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12039803)

MPs are largely in favour of remaining. They did, however, vote massively in favour of the referendum. Which they probably expected - as I did - to be a big "remain" win.

I spent quite a lot of time in Brussels during the late 60s and early 70s. Your slavish adherence to the "four legs good, two legs bad" mindset reminds me very much of the EU in its pre-expansionist paradigm.

You seem to read the Express and Mail a lot more than I or anyone I know. I read the Telegraph, the Grauniad and the SMH fairly regularly. Perhaps all the press is "gutter"?

If the EU had remained a free trading area, as the lies - well documented lies - consistently told us, there would never have been any thought of a referendum. By anyone. Nigel would still have been trading commodities and neither you nor I would have heard of him.