Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:01 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by olivefarmer View Post
Post EU referendum is the topic.

Four pages ago, I asked how the EU reforms were going. The ones that remainers thought we would be better off In reforming from the inside. I haven't seen one reform since the vote.

What we have had though in the last four pages is an overwhelming weight of comment against Brexit or those that voted for it. More of the same exhibited in the last 1,400 ! pages.

So anyone enlighten me as to how those reforms are going? Have they sorted out Strasbourg yet or have the remain side still got their heads buried in the comfortable sand?
Why don't you just look it up? Why should everyone else do your work for you?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Post EU referendum is the topic.

Four pages ago, I asked how the EU reforms were going. The ones that remainers thought we would be better off In reforming from the inside. I haven't seen one reform since the vote.

What we have had though in the last four pages is an overwhelming weight of comment against Brexit or those that voted for it. More of the same exhibited in the last 1,400 ! pages.

So anyone enlighten me as to how those reforms are going? Have they sorted out Strasbourg yet or have the remain side still got their heads buried in the comfortable sand?
It may have escaped your notice that the EU is rather preoccupied at the moment with something called Brexit and the initiator of that who has yet to make up its mind what it wants.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post

"...Leanne, Leanne, Leanne, you've got to get your facts right, Leanne..."

"...You clearly said we pay £55million a day to be an EU member, and that is not true, you doubled it..."

"...I spent the whole of the referendum campaign, Leanne, saying we pay £30 million a day..."

#ProjectFact
Nigel Farage - 55 million per day

“FACT – absolute fact – from the official statistics cross-checked from the EU: we pay £55 million a day as a contribution. Some of that is the rebate which doesn’t go but our gross contribution is £55 million a day.”
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Why don't you just look it up? Why should everyone else do your work for you?
Funnily enough I did and found virtually nothing. Was as I suspected despite the shock of a country voting to leave the perfect fold because it err wasn't perfect and isn't reforming , no change.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
When I quit my golfclub, after 20 + years, should I ask for at least half of my membership contributions back ? Or should I try 60 % ?
I can try I suppose, but I think I know the answer.
and using your analogy

don't forget you have to pay your share of a new clubhouse not even built yet.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I did and found virtually nothing. Was as I suspected despite the shock of a country voting to leave the perfect fold because it err wasn't perfect and isn't reforming , no change.
There's this thing called "google". Maybe you've heard of it.

If I search for "EU reforms", I get several million results.

Here's one from the first page. I think it explains a lot. But as hard as it tries to condense a complex subject into a short read, it necessarily goes into detail, so it may lose you in the first few paragraphs.

Also it says nothing about the imminent collapse of the EU, nor anything about how Brexit will allow a Britain free from the shackles of the EU to "flourish", so again, it may not interest you.

The EU Prepares to Pursue Reforms Under Brighter Skies

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 6th 2017 at 1:52 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:00 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

and using your analogy

If the UK had signed up and agreed to share the build cost before flouncing mid-project, I'd say it's a fair shout wouldn't you ?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

and using your analogy

Or as per BBC news today, to still retain a degree of playing privileges without full membership.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one from the first page. I think it explains a lot. But as hard as it tries to condense a complex subject into a short read, it necessarily goes into detail, so it may lose you in the first few paragraphs.

Also it says nothing about the imminent collapse of the EU, nor anything about how Brexit will allow a Britain free from the shackles of the EU to "flourish", so again, it may not interest you.

Your link has the words "will start a long dialogue"---"will be an important" etc etc.
Remember all the meetings about transborder arms control, how to manage the refugee crisis---was anything significant decided?

'To do lists' are not always that useful---
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Or as per BBC news today, to still retain a degree of playing privileges without full membership.
That will be Merkels requirement too.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:26 pm
Banned

OK, no reforms. As you wish.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is a long wish list of stuff. Still no resolution on migration for example after all this time.

Summed up by defense is one of the few topics where some degree of consensus can be found. More expense for member states that used to be able (and in fairness) probably still will be able to rely on the only global superpower to help out in the event of trouble.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:39 pm
Banned

Again, you could've found that out for yourself.

The first point, which you skimmed over, is that there are a number of issues that must be resolved before going into full "reform" mode. One of which is Brexit, another is the elections.

Yet, it's all acknowledged, every stakeholder has their views, and eventually, there will be agreements. Because, well, there's little other choice, really.

In fact, Britain could really benefit from acknowledging reality at the moment. But that wouldn't be very British, would it?

In the mean time, life in the EU isn't particularly intolerable. In fact, it's improving steadily. Pity the same can't be said for Britain.

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 6th 2017 at 3:55 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:10 pm
EMR
Banned

I heard an interview with Vince Cable who claimed that during the time of the coalition government there were a number of studies into the effect of immigration on the UK economy and infrastructure.
These studies pointed to only positive contributions ,however May blocked publication when Home Secretary.
These reports obviously still exist however I will be suprised if these are " leaked !!".
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:20 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Advantage Brexit! UK can get rid of that awful EU working time Directive. Hurrah! 60 hour+ weeks, just 2 weeks holiday a year (less time with OH & brats), can start doing all those jobs those beastly Europeans have been doing, what's not to like!

#Global leader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.