Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:07 pm
  #21751  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Yes as they made no difference to the lives and economuc conditions of the UK populace whereas EU membership has been a positive benefit..
I doubt that more that a few % of the UK population and the majority of those being Euro sceptics gave more than a moment's notice to Maastricht or Lisbon.
That is what you want to believe!
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:09 pm
  #21752  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
pedantic
Being accurate is "pedantic"---typical 'Remainer' answer.
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:22 pm
  #21753  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
That is what you want to believe!
It's a fact, just ask those living in our inner cities or deprived areas to give their opinion the treaties..

Last edited by EMR; Sep 5th 2017 at 5:42 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:28 pm
  #21754  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,330
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Being accurate is "pedantic"---typical 'Remainer' answer.
Sorry to be casual, but you knew precisely what I meant, and it dismantled your argument, so your only recourse was to discredit it with pedantry. I get it.

However, it can be equally argued that this is more than a typical leaver argument. Plenty of form there. If you don't like the truth, find some way to discredit it, even if it's pathetic.

Oh, and this isn't the first time you've used pedantics to discredit perfectly valid points. In fact, it seems to be your primary M.O.
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:37 pm
  #21755  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Sorry to be casual, but you knew precisely what I meant, and it dismantled your argument, so your only recourse was to discredit it with pedantry. I get it.

However, it can be equally argued that this is more than a typical leaver argument. Plenty of form there. If you don't like the truth, find some way to discredit it, even if it's pathetic.

Oh, and this isn't the first time you've used pedantics to discredit perfectly valid points. In fact, it seems to be your primary M.O.
You constantly equate the EEC and EU, and refer to the EU as existing for 40 years. The truth is that the UK in 1993 was not "struggling" as it was post war in 1945 as your post suggested.
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:38 pm
  #21756  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,330
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

pedantic

well, that and a bit of a strawman too.

OK, to clarify, Britain was indeed struggling before joining the EEC. That stuggle largely ended after joing the EEC, and eventually becoming an EU member state. This is a matter of historical record. It still dismantles your entire argument.

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 5th 2017 at 5:42 pm.
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:39 pm
  #21757  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
What money was that?
Oh Lord !!! If you don't know 'what money' that simple proves that you, like so many Brits haven't a clue about how the EU works. For our Net contributions we received more than two thirds back ( in one way or another. ) THAT money doesn't seem to have ever been made accountable to the British public..
GeniB is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:45 pm
  #21758  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It's a fact, just act those living in our inner cities or deprived areas to give their opinion the treaties..
It is not a "fact" it is your opinion. You underestimate the intelligence of the 'man in the street', they may not know the wording of the Treaties however why would they not know the general intention?
Why else was it so important to change the wording of the drafted Constitution Treaty to that of the Lisbon Treaty?
These matters were reported in the press at the time.
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:48 pm
  #21759  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

[QUOTE=amideislas;12331772]pedantic

well, that and a bit of a strawman too.

OK, to clarify, Britain was indeed struggling before joining the EEC. That stuggle largely ended after joing the EEC, and eventually becoming an EU member state. This is a matter of historical record. It still dismantles your entire argument.[/QUOTE]

How? my argument was that your post was not accurate.
Bipat is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 5:58 pm
  #21760  
EU hoo
 
iano's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: émigré of nowhere
Posts: 1,954
iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Reports coming out of Brussels that negotiations could be be delayed even further because of a major announcement expected from May on or around the 21st Sept..
Her resignation, another election, application to join EFTA or Nafta.
Any more ideas � ����� ����
The official launch of HMS Global Britannia ?

iano is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:09 pm
  #21761  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

[QUOTE=Bipat;12331779]
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
pedantic

well, that and a bit of a strawman too.

OK, to clarify, Britain was indeed struggling before joining the EEC. That stuggle largely ended after joing the EEC, and eventually becoming an EU member state. This is a matter of historical record. It still dismantles your entire argument.[/QUOTE]

How? my argument was that your post was not accurate.
When in Bipats mind does a duck become a duck. ?
The history of the UK vehicle industry is just one of many confirmations if any more were needed that the economic fortunes off the UK are irrevocably linked to the EU, EEC, Common market or whatever anyone wants to call it..

Last edited by EMR; Sep 5th 2017 at 6:33 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:14 pm
  #21762  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,330
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

[QUOTE=Bipat;12331779]
Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
pedantic

well, that and a bit of a strawman too.

OK, to clarify, Britain was indeed struggling before joining the EEC. That stuggle largely ended after joing the EEC, and eventually becoming an EU member state. This is a matter of historical record. It still dismantles your entire argument.[/QUOTE]

How? my argument was that your post was not accurate.
I don't really want to step in your trap any longer, but in your page or so of pedantry, even you have forgotten what you were arguing about.
amideislas is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:34 pm
  #21763  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 7,417
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Dougal03

Thank you for your answer. You, too, have misread my meaning.

I have not mentioned extreme poverty or impoverishment at all. I am saying poverty in the EU is rising, and has been rising for the past 17 years, and all efforts by the EU to stem this rise have come to nothing. It is rising as we post. The EU has failed, firstly by creating the conditions for poverty to fester, secondly by adopting a single currency that does not fit all, and thirdly by the ECB hoisting austerity on weak Eurozone nations when they needed the exact opposite. The EU has also failed with its two main strategies for alleviating poverty: Lisbon 2000 and Europe 2020.

The essence of my posts is the failure of the EU to address the concerns of the poorer in the EU, people they call ‘EU citizens’.

And, yes, there are homeless people in Spain, just the same as everywhere else.

Los 209 "sin techo" de Mallorca | Baleares Home | EL MUNDO

Even in Mallorca.
Perhaps the EU hasn't alleviated the increasing poverty in some segments of the population you refer to, but aren't some global and other factors responsible as well or perhaps mostly for the trends you refer to? America has experienced some of the same trends I assume you are referring to but outside of the EU.
morpeth is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:18 pm
  #21764  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It is not a "fact" it is your opinion. You underestimate the intelligence of the 'man in the street', they may not know the wording of the Treaties however why would they not know the general intention?
Why else was it so important to change the wording of the drafted Constitution Treaty to that of the Lisbon Treaty?
These matters were reported in the press at the time.
Really , the millions whose daily media intake consists of what footballer is shagging what minor soap star, or who are glued to Britains got a load of crap talent are deeply interested and clued up on the minutiae of obscure European treaties.
You really do not live in the real world..
Tell them that their lives are negatively affected by immigrants then you will get their interest .
EMR is offline  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:38 pm
  #21765  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,005
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

[QUOTE=EMR;12331787]
Originally Posted by Bipat View Post

When in Bipats mind does a duck become a duck. ?
The history of the UK vehicle industry is just one of many confirmations if any more were needed that the economic fortunes off the UK are irrevocably linked to the EU, EEC, Common market or whatever anyone wants to call it..
We were not discussing the UK vehicle industry. (Although you seem to have forgotten Jaguar-Land Rover!)

We were discussing the fact that the EU is not the same as the EEC. As I said before you seem to be expressing the view that the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties were irrelevant.
Bipat is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.