Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:40 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Actually, the end of free-movement, at least within the EU for British-athletes.

Unless of course it doesn't end, and we just end up with a distinction without a difference, except for the vast amount of expense caused by this whole debacle.

It also seems to be eating away at people's sense of humour
As Corbyn and May are both committed to no free movement of labour, you can keep hoping, but don't bet the farm.

Not sure whose sense of humour you are on about.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:14 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Makes one wonder how Murray plays tennis in the US, or Nadal plays tennis in Australia, or indeed how the Americans and Aussies managed to cycle in the Tour.
The same way the will do after the UK leaves the EU, as neither the U.S. nor Australia have free movement rights in the EU, nor do Brits/Scots have free movement rights in the U.S.

They get visas, as far as I know.
Exactly. Post-Brexit, Brits wanting to work in the EU (and EU nationals wanting to work in the UK) will likely have to pay the same visa fees as non-EU nationals wanting to work in those countries already pay (usually around £600 visa cost + £200 per year of visa length Immigration Health Surcharge).

Why would EU nationals pay for a work visa for the UK when they will still be able to exercise free movement in 27 other EU member states and 4 EEA countries.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
The same way the will do after the UK leaves the EU, as neither the U.S. nor Australia have free movement rights in the EU, nor do Brits/Scots have free movement rights in the U.S.

Exactly. Post-Brexit, Brits wanting to work in the EU (and EU nationals wanting to work in the UK) will likely have to pay the same visa fees as non-EU nationals wanting to work in those countries already pay (usually around £600 visa cost + £200 per year of visa length Immigration Health Surcharge).

Why would EU nationals pay for a work visa for the UK when they will still be able to exercise free movement in 27 other EU member states and 4 EEA countries.
So no real problem for the sporting people after all.

Why - perhaps it's where the jobs are, perhaps it's the use of English, perhaps it's the allure of London. Why do UK/EU people pay for an H1 or L1 visa to work in the USA?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:57 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

To an extreme remainer, anyone in the center like me would seem an extreme Brexiter.
Thanks for The best laugh of the day.
By centre you mean your part of london where you want want class and income base apartheid ..
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
He'll need a work permit to do that once we've left the EU.

So will any EU-national sportsperson wanting to work in the UK (unless free movement stays in place).
There is a UK sports visitor visa /6 months for sporting events. I presume it doesn't count as work even if they get prize money.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:13 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Thanks for The best laugh of the day.
By centre you mean your part of london where you want want class and income base apartheid ..
My pleasure

Nothing wrong with a bit of class and economic apartheid - mixing with the lower orders can be tiresome, they smell and their crockery is too thick.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My pleasure

Nothing wrong with a bit of class and economic apartheid - mixing with the lower orders can be tiresome, they smell and their crockery is too thick.
That's me. I'll be there in a few short hours. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

My pleasure

What is scary is that you mean every word of your post..
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:48 pm
Democracy advocate

What is scary is that you mean every word of your post..
I do wish I could remember where I heard that smell/crockery quote, I think it was a Harry Enfield sketch with a young posh kid (not Tim But Dim, younger), but I can't find it.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:13 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Or in my case, Fish. And Pie. Since I'm off to the UK tonight. And on Wednesday I'm heading for Zone 2 despite my lack of financial qualifications, so I'll let you know how it goes.
You make sure that fish has been refined by going through UK finishing waters. You don't want any of that nasty oily, bony continental fish.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:15 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Can I (timidly) ask what he f*** you all hang about on this benighted thread for?

There are only a handful of posters who "contribute" to the "discussion" and of that handful, most are really rather stupid.

Are you all addicted to utterly pointless bickering about something over which you have no informed opinion and certainly no control?

Those of you who think they know how this farce will evolve are all wrong.

Except me.
I promised myself I'd stop posting the moment a Brexiter said something either true or at least plausible.

I'm still stuck here
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:26 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

What, no fruit picking jobs !
Originally Posted by iano View Post
They'll all be taken by experienced carrot and daffodil pickers.
Now - now!! No frippery please - otherwise Novocastrian will come & tell off the whole thread - again.
I know my place
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You make sure that fish has been refined by going through UK finishing waters. You don't want any of that nasty oily, bony continental fish.
Too much of stretch with that one - less is more you know.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I respond to posts I disagree with because I have absolutely no self discipline.
I resolve not to look at the Forum and certainly not to respond to certain posters----but I do!
(However I assume the posters you refer to as "stupid" are the ones you disagree with.)
I could be more specific.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 12:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
After Brexit, those foreign fish will need visas. No more freeloading off our coasts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.