British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Aug 25th 2016 9:38 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12034627)
However you say you're using it, the word generally is being used to label anybody who was against leaving the EU prior to the referendum. That includes the majority of Remainers, who are not clamouring for a 2nd referendum, many of whom have actually stated that that would be a very bad thing (and who are well represented on here).

Having a mature (where possible) discussion about events and possibilities as they unfold doesn't make us moaners or maniacs or whatever else you keep trotting out. It's just a discussion about something that has far more complications and variables than you like to think about. You're a bit too stuck on the crowing and "the majority voted Leave so Leave we must" to even get into a proper discussion about what Leaving means to you, let alone what it means to the people who are leading the way and who can't yet agree amongst each other.

I'm not responsible for what others are saying etc but as far as I'm concerned, a remainer is someone who voted to remain but accepts the results of the democratic referendum whereas a remainiac is someone who refuses to accept it and argues endlessly that they think they have the right to a 2nd vote because they didn't get the result they wanted on the first go.

As for when A50 will be triggered, I personally hope it's sooner rather than later.

Red Eric Aug 25th 2016 12:35 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12034681)
I'm not responsible for what others are saying etc but as far as I'm concerned, a remainer is someone who voted to remain but accepts the results of the democratic referendum whereas a remainiac is someone who refuses to accept it and argues endlessly that they think they have the right to a 2nd vote because they didn't get the result they wanted on the first go.

1) Name 3 posters who are saying that.
2) here is an example of your indiscriminate use of the term "Remaniac"

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12025696)
...there's nothing to say that all Brexiteers should agree on everything any more than all Remainiacs must agree on everything.


mfesharne Aug 25th 2016 1:53 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12034780)
1) Name 3 posters who are saying that.
2) here is an example of your indiscriminate use of the term "Remaniac"

There's several who have said or implied that & feel free to go through almost 2 thousand posts to find 'em but I'd say the biggest remainiac cheerleader is Ami followed by Naaling & Ingles & several more...... They're all spitting feathers about it. :rofl:

Lion in Winter Aug 25th 2016 1:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12034836)
There's several who have said or implied that & feel free to go through considerably more than a thousand posts to find 'em but I'd say the biggest remainiac cheerleader is Ami followed by Naaling & Ingles & several more...... They're all spitting feathers about it. :rofl:

As far as I remember, Ami repeatedly says that the UK should leave. Don't know about the others.

Where did this odd idea come from that just because the vote went the other way people should stop talking about the issue and pretend that they now think that everything will be rosy?

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting re-doing the referendum (although Farage implied he would ask for it if the margin of loss were 4% or less had the vote gone for Stay). That doesn't mean we should all now sit around with our feet up and disengage from the process. It simply doesn't follow. Nothing is forever, and who knows what the future will bring in terms of how this goes down - debate doesn't stop because a referendum happened.

SultanOfSwing Aug 25th 2016 2:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034844)
As far as I remember, Ami repeatedly says that the UK should leave. Don't know about the others.

The one other thing that Ami, and Dave (probably others) have pointed out is that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. And it hasn't. That's an observable fact. Whether and when it will will be up to the PM, not any of us. It's kind of a pointless thing to get hung up on at the moment, really.


Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034844)
Where did this odd idea come from that just because the vote went the other way people should stop talking about the issue and pretend that they now think that everything will be rosy?

Beats the shit out of me.


Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034844)
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting re-doing the referendum (although Farage implied he would ask for it if the margin of loss were 4% or less had the vote gone for Stay). That doesn't mean we should all now sit around with our feet up and disengage from the process. It simply doesn't follow. Nothing is forever, and who knows what the future will bring in terms of how this goes down - debate doesn't stop because a referendum happened.

For all we know, the future could bring 4 years of sitting around looking at the ceiling and waiting for article 50 to be invoked; or a couple of years of pissing around after it's invoked.

There's a general election in 2020 that'll factor in as well.

All in all, I'm kind of glad I don't live there anymore because having to hear about this shite every day would make me want to kill myself.

Lion in Winter Aug 25th 2016 2:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12034852)
The one other thing that Ami, and Dave (probably others) have pointed out is that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. And it hasn't. That's an observable fact. Whether and when it will will be up to the PM, not any of us. It's kind of a pointless thing to get hung up on at the moment, really.



Beats the shit out of me.



For all we know, the future could bring 4 years of sitting around looking at the ceiling and waiting for article 50 to be invoked; or a couple of years of pissing around after it's invoked.

There's a general election in 2020 that'll factor in as well.

All in all, I'm kind of glad I don't live there anymore because having to hear about this shite every day would make me want to kill myself.

"Brexit" - the word (and I use the term loosely) that wouldn't die.

SultanOfSwing Aug 25th 2016 2:11 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034856)
"Brexit" - the word (and I use the term loosely) that wouldn't die.

I know. I felt dirty for using it up there. Didn't feel right at all :D

Red Eric Aug 25th 2016 2:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12034836)
There's several who have said or implied that & feel free to go through considerably more than a thousand posts to find 'em but I'd say the biggest remainiac cheerleader is Ami followed by Naaling & Ingles & several more...... They're all spitting feathers about it. :rofl:

That makes it abundantly clear to me that you don't actually read what people post but that you infer a great deal that isn't there. Same goes for your reading of news items. You are, though, remarkably consistent in your inability to back up your claims.

mfesharne Aug 25th 2016 3:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034844)
As far as I remember, Ami repeatedly says that the UK should leave. Don't know about the others.

Where did this odd idea come from that just because the vote went the other way people should stop talking about the issue and pretend that they now think that everything will be rosy?

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting re-doing the referendum (although Farage implied he would ask for it if the margin of loss were 4% or less had the vote gone for Stay). That doesn't mean we should all now sit around with our feet up and disengage from the process. It simply doesn't follow. Nothing is forever, and who knows what the future will bring in terms of how this goes down - debate doesn't stop because a referendum happened.

you've got that wrong. At the start of the other thread at least she was wailing about a re-run and at post # 89 of that same thread, Ingles posted a link to a petition for a rerun of the referendum which is probably the petition you accredit to Farage....... who didn't know anything about it and had no part in it...... That petition was started by a UKIP member who later admitted he was wrong.

you're right there's nothing wrong with debate & we all enjoy it which is why we're all here but there's a massive difference between debate & denial & self delusion which is what some are suffering here.

The fact is the referendum has been held, the majority won & the Brexit will happen whether people like it or not.

mfesharne Aug 25th 2016 3:08 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12034844)
As far as I remember, Ami repeatedly says that the UK should leave. Don't know about the others.

Where did this odd idea come from that just because the vote went the other way people should stop talking about the issue and pretend that they now think that everything will be rosy?

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting re-doing the referendum (although Farage implied he would ask for it if the margin of loss were 4% or less had the vote gone for Stay). That doesn't mean we should all now sit around with our feet up and disengage from the process. It simply doesn't follow. Nothing is forever, and who knows what the future will bring in terms of how this goes down - debate doesn't stop because a referendum happened.

you've got that wrong. At the start of the other thread at least she was wailing about a re-run and at post # 89 of that same thread, Ingles posted a link to a petition for a rerun of the referendum which is probably the petition you accredit to Farage....... who didn't know anything about it and had no part in it...... That petition was started by a UKIP member who later admitted he was wrong.

you're right there's nothing wrong with debate & we all enjoy it which is why we're all here but there's a massive difference between debate & denial & self delusion which is what some are suffering here. We've also had a number of infantile personal attacks & trolling..... all incidentally from the Remainiacs as far as I can remember & they also contribute bugger all to the debate.

The fact is the referendum has been held, the majority won & the Brexit will happen whether people like it or not.

So perhaps we should rather be debating what we hope will happen during those negotiations?

Lion in Winter Aug 25th 2016 3:09 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12034902)
you've got that wrong. At the start of the other thread at least she was wailing about a re-run and at post # 89 of that same thread, Ingles posted a link to a petition for a rerun of the referendum which is probably the petition you accredit to Farage....... who didn't know anything about it and had no part in it...... That petition was started by a UKIP member who later admitted he was wrong.

you're right there's nothing wrong with debate & we all enjoy it which is why we're all here but there's a massive difference between debate & denial & self delusion which is what some are suffering here.

The fact is the referendum has been held, the majority won & the Brexit will happen whether people like it or not.

A rerun might be possibility for all I know if Parliament doesn't vote to repeal the European communities act, or there's a general election, or both. I don't think Ami could be described as "wailing" about anything but you are entitled to your editorial remarks. Most of the complaining seems to come from pro-Brexit people complaining about people who don't like it saying so.

Farage called for a rerun earlier in the year. Nothing to do with that petition.

Nigel Farage's EU Referendum '52-48 Result' Comment Comes Back To Haunt Him

We have no idea if "Brexit" will happen really. It hasn't started yet. Nor do we know if the realities of the agreement, once (if) reached will yield a reality any different from what we have now. It may, it may not. Although with the quantity of experts on BE I'm surprised that they haven't been drafted to oversee the exit process.

I see no denial. The facts are the facts. There was a referendum, Leave won (under dubious circumstances, but hey, aren't they all) and that is a fact. Brexit has not started. A fact. The consequences are mixed and not clear, including the content of any possible agreement or negotiation. Also a fact. We talk about them. End of.

mfesharne Aug 25th 2016 3:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I rather think the Farage thing was a misquote....... I think you'll find he essentially said that if the referendum was to stay, he & UKIP would continue the fight which is a different thing to the out vote that eventually won the day being overturned because the remainiacs wanted a 2nd go because they didn't get what they wanted the 1st time.

As for denial, my opinion is that we've had a number of people denying the referendum, calling for a 2nd referendum, claiming it can't or won't happen because the house of vermin in ermine won't allow it & umpteen other BS claims & bonkers suggestions such as only people above a certain IQ level or standard of education should get to vote to wails of oh no but if we have a rejoin referendum later we'll have to accept the Euro so let's not leave in the first place to I like being in the EU because it gives us NATO protection to I like the EU because it allows us to finance poorer European countries etc etc.

I will say however that I think TM needs to pull her finger out & trigger A50 asap & it certainly (IMO) needs to be completed before the end of this Govt term.

TGA Aug 25th 2016 5:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Remoaners

SultanOfSwing Aug 25th 2016 5:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12034991)
Remoaners

Better watch you don't cut yourself on all that edge ...

TGA Aug 25th 2016 6:57 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12034998)
Better watch you don't cut yourself on all that edge ...

i would have replied earlier but i was brushing my hair:huh:


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:47 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.