Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:44 am
  #19561  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: North Eastern Thailand and Central Portugal
Posts: 270
AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
It is interesting that those who continue to question a now obviously 'questionable ' decision have been given this ridiculous and childish label 'remoaners' and even quite hysterically and unfairly deemed 'traitors'

This isn't the school playground. Nor is it the Spanish inquisition . It's serious stuff that requires constant and informed scrutiny. Thus far we have had little of that from our illustrious leaders.
As more is revealed about what we can and can't do,what is viable,and what is merely historical rhetoric. What is fact and what is biased fiction.

I for one hope that our country can move out of this embarrassing, mud slinging,mess, and make some actual progress . One where we can once again hold our heads up high because we have delivered a 'tangible' (not fictionally ) better future for our citizens and trading partners.
WRONG..this is just like school playground.

It doesn't need scrutinising, by us, we are leaving, the mud slinging sells papers and makes money on the currency markets.

Don't take it all so seriously, if a million British protesters on London's streets couldn't do anything about lying Blair's war, what chance do we have sitting at our laptops.

Lighten up, it is a sunny day....Lets be optimistic.

Get up, go out an get a tan, then if the shit does hit the fan it won't show too much....
AllanB is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:48 am
  #19562  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
He was not an immigrant, how many times, the UK took what he had to offer, by offering a job(s)
The British in India had rules about various Post Grad. exams some could only be done in the UK (I presume to make use of the 'best brains' from there.) Otherwise he would never have come to the UK.
Our main home has always been in India. I am the 'migrant'.
If he was not born in the UK, holding a British passport he was an immigrant .
The definitions do not change just because you want them to.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:58 am
  #19563  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,357
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
If he was not born in the UK, holding a British passport he was an immigrant .
The definitions do not change just because you want them to.
I am British-- we travelled a lot in Europe by train in early marriage, a British Passport gave visa free travel for him---it was for the EEC advantages that he became British, not for UK advantages.

An immigrant is someone who makes a permanent home in the UK
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:06 am
  #19564  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I am British-- we travelled a lot in Europe by train in early marriage, a British Passport gave visa free travel for him---it was for the EEC advantages that he became British, not for UK advantages.

An immigrant is someone who makes a permanent home in the UK
Then those from eastern Europe who have no intention of staying in the UK, who work in seasonal occupations are also not immigrants using your personal definition.
Whether you like it or not,the vast majority of the UK population would look at your OH and all those like him if told he was not born in the UK , did not hold a British passport on arrival would say that he was an immigrant.
One of those arriving on our already overcrowded island, your definition.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:23 am
  #19565  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,357
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Then those from eastern Europe who have no intention of staying in the UK, who work in seasonal occupations are also not immigrants using your personal definition.
Whether you like it or not,the vast majority of the UK population would look at your OH and all those like him if told he was not born in the UK , did not hold a British passport on arrival would say that he was an immigrant.
One of those arriving on our already overcrowded island, your definition.
This to and fro started because as always you think you know more about others than they do themselves.

You stated---"Your family came to the UK because it provided them with a better future than staying in India".

I stated that OH came 'temporarily' because of British Empire rules. Got a passport to travel in Europe! (Yes it was a trivial reason!)
Could you accept that you are wrong?

(I don't consider seasonal workers are immigrants).
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:26 am
  #19566  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: North Eastern Thailand and Central Portugal
Posts: 270
AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

I think the point of a good immigration policy is that we choose who comes in. We are a small country and a huge influx of any nationality induces fears.

When we leave we can choose who comes in based on our needs.

30 years ago I applied to emigrate to Canada, but didn't have the skills they wanted, So I tried Australia, my profession as a Control Systems Engineer was not on their list, but Centre Lathe Turner was, so with those skills I got my visa.

It took me a few weeks to get a job and I fitted into Australian society, as was my duty as an immigrant.

This is what Nigel Farage has been saying from day one.
AllanB is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:41 am
  #19567  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I think the point of a good immigration policy is that we choose who comes in. We are a small country and a huge influx of any nationality induces fears.

When we leave we can choose who comes in based on our needs.

30 years ago I applied to emigrate to Canada, but didn't have the skills they wanted, So I tried Australia, my profession as a Control Systems Engineer was not on their list, but Centre Lathe Turner was, so with those skills I got my visa.

It took me a few weeks to get a job and I fitted into Australian society, as was my duty as an immigrant.

This is what Nigel Farage has been saying from day one.
You are white Anglo Saxon of course you would fit in.
Would you have got in so easoly as a Asian centre lathe Turner.
It has always amused me that Brits most concerned about immigration are those who left the UK decades ago unlike those of us who have spent our lives living, working in and adjusting to the changes of the last 70 years.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:47 am
  #19568  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
100%, I am an entrepreneur, have had my own business since 1985, have lived in 6 countries and been around this big wide world, as well as nearly all of fortress Europe. On business, expeditions and as a tourist.

I have seen how the British do business, compared with other countries, our levels of innovation, invention and confidence and how many counties also have faith in us.

I have no fears at all, this is another great challenge and once again Britain is up for it, with or without you remoaners.
Ahh yes, that good old British superiority in all things.

...despite all evidence to the contrary.

OK, well, enjoy your superiority. But please, when it doesn't work out, don't blame everybody else.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:36 pm
  #19569  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
This to and fro started because as always you think you know more about others than they do themselves.

You stated---"Your family came to the UK because it provided them with a better future than staying in India".

I stated that OH came 'temporarily' because of British Empire rules. Got a passport to travel in Europe! (Yes it was a trivial reason!)
Could you accept that you are wrong?

(I don't consider seasonal workers are immigrants).
The fact is however you want to disguise it ,is that your OH is an immigrant.
Nothing wrong with that because like millions of others he has contributed to the UK and enhanced our society.
Why do you seem to have a problem with it ?.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:40 pm
  #19570  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,924
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
No, the US would never agree to tie-up with Canada, Mexico, Guatemala etc with free movement of people and supra-national law courts etc.
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the fact that the U.S. ALREADY IS like the EU (or should it be that the EU is following in the U.S's footsteps).

I think that's the reason why the EU is sometimes disparagingly referred to as 'the United States of Europe'!
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:41 pm
  #19571  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
If he was not born in the UK, holding a British passport he was an immigrant .
The definitions do not change just because you want them to.
S'cuse me shouldn't this be on the India/EU site ?
GeniB is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:52 pm
  #19572  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
S'cuse me shouldn't this be on the India/EU site ?
No it us in response to Bipats post today on an overcrowded UK due to immigration.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:55 pm
  #19573  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,357
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The fact is however you want to disguise it ,is that your OH is an immigrant.
Nothing wrong with that because like millions of others he has contributed to the UK and enhanced our society.
Why do you seem to have a problem with it ?.
EMR-- surely I should know where our main home is? Surely I should know whether he is an immigrant or not and why he came temporarily to the UK, planned for a year,
Yes, he contributed when he was working in UK, this is an expat Forum I presume you are an immigrant in Portugal and enhancing society there.

I have no problems with immigrants anywhere but at least be accurate.
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:00 pm
  #19574  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,357
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
No it us in response to Bipats post today on an overcrowded UK due to immigration.
Again, inaccurate EMR!! I made a joke about OP's claim that the UK was an insignificant island. I pointed out that many from abroad wanted to live in the small, insignificant place.

I also later pointed out that not all foreigners want to come permanently to the UK just because they work there for a short time or a few years.

People are not 'clones' they are all different EMR!
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:08 pm
  #19575  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
EMR-- surely I should know where our main home is? Surely I should know whether he is an immigrant or not and why he came temporarily to the UK, planned for a year,
Yes, he contributed when he was working in UK, this is an expat Forum I presume you are an immigrant in Portugal and enhancing society there.

I have no problems with immigrants anywhere but at least be accurate.
I give up, your OH who was not born in the UK ,was a national of a different country is in your mind not an immigrant but the millions of others like him are.
I do not pretend to be anything other than an immigrant when living in the country that I was not born in.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 12th 2017 at 1:14 pm.
EMR is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.