Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 9th 2017, 7:59 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Good article.

Some points:

May knows she has no mandate for Brexit - she has said so.

The majority of MPs of all parties are remainers and know the damage hard Brexit (by definition Brexit, if it happens, will be hard) will do. They are keeping their heads down - deferring to 'the will of the people'.

They need a leader who will commit to doing 'the right thing' as opposed to 'the will of the people'.

Corbyn is not our man - he is a hard Brexiteer. Someone else needs to come forward.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Good article.

Some points:

The majority of MPs of all parties are remainers and know the damage hard Brexit (by definition Brexit, if it happens, will be hard) will do. They are keeping their heads down - deferring to 'the will of the people'.

They need a leader who will commit to doing 'the right thing' as opposed to 'the will of the people'.

Corbyn is not our man - he is a hard Brexiteer. Someone else needs to come forward.
Why do we ever bother with the expense of elections, why not bring back an absolute monarchy??
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Why do we ever bother with the expense of elections, why not bring back an absolute monarchy??
Elections are fine. Even referenda are sometimes but this one was very flawed.

Even the leaders of the Vote Leave have said so.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Elections are fine. Even referenda are sometimes but this one was very flawed.

Even the leaders of the Vote Leave have said so.
I presume though, if the result had gone the other way you would have accepted it without question?

(I think Gisela Stuart has criticised the events after the referendum. She would have preferred a referendum at the time of the Lisbon Treaty, as promised by Gordon Brown)
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:20 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

(I think Gisela Stuart has criticised the events after the referendum. She would have preferred a referendum at the time of the Lisbon Treaty, as promised by Gordon Brown)
I tend to agree with her. Both Lisbon and Maastricht treaties should have beenn put to referenda imho

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Jul 9th 2017 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike View Post
I tend to agree with her. Both Lisbon and Maastricht treaties should have beenn put to referenda imho
(Just a housekeeping note; the post you quote in the above post says its from me. It isn't! I never said that!!)
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:37 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
(Just a housekeeping note; the post you quote in the above post says its from me. It isn't! I never said that!!)
I'm very sorry Robin - corrected now. No intent to misattribute on my part.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:43 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I presume though, if the result had gone the other way you would have accepted it without question?

I doubt you or the majority of those who genuinely believe that the UK should exit the EU would have or stopped their campaign had the vote been 52,48 in favour of staying !.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:50 pm
FreeThinker

...(I think Gisela Stuart has criticised the events after the referendum...
... she's criticised what she voted for?
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I doubt you or the majority of those who genuinely believe that the UK should exit the EU would have or stopped their campaign had the vote been 52,48 in favour of staying !.
I didn't campaign--just voted!
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

... she's criticised what she voted for?
She criticised the yes/no style ballot paper, the arguments after etc.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:15 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else needs to come forward.
Hmmm, have posed this very question before. Somebody suggested Milliband Senior at the time, which isn't a bad shout.

A UK 'Macron' able to fill the huge vacuum in the centre ground, to galvanise the Remainer one nation Tories, LibDems, Greens, SNP and Nou Labourites with the aim of putting an end to this ridiculous pantomime.

Any pro-EU, centrist leaders of men out there, with a bit of oomph and charisma, well, your country needs you NOW !

Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:19 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't campaign--just voted!
Everyone who posts on a forum campaigns, who joins a discussion campaigns.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 10:21 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Hmmm, have posed this very question before. Somebody suggested Milliband Senior at the time, which isn't a bad shout.

A UK 'Macron' able to fill the huge vacuum in the centre ground, to galvanise the Remainer one nation Tories, LibDems, Greens, SNP and Nou Labourites with the aim of putting an end to this ridiculous pantomime.

Any pro-EU, centrist leaders of men out there, with a bit of oomph and charisma, well, your country needs you NOW !

Yeah a very good call I was wondering who might be a UK Macron earlier - not thought of anyone yet.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:45 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

No mandate?

The referendum was her mandate.

The MPs vote after the referendum to enact the result was her mandate.

The General election where Brits increased their vote for both Tory and Labour whose manifestos stated Brexit - was her mandate.

How much more of a mandate for Brexit could there be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.