British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Aug 23rd 2016 6:19 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033293)
That's all nice, and I can see that there's a modest market in the UK that's worth pursuing for Indian suppliers... but what can Britain sell India in this "two way" exchange?

I have put links on a boring number of times.
A vast middle class market. The UK retail outlets in every big city mall for one example.
Go and see for yourself. Domestic flights which are less than an hour no more than £25-£30 according to exchange rate, cheaper than UK trains!! You can investigate the trade opportunities and invest in the airlines!:lol:

India's Narendra Modi Just Opened His Economy to Foreign Investment

Bipat Aug 23rd 2016 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12033343)
Hello?? Do you realize India is a protectionist country when it comes to its internal market? Do you realize India applies a 65% tariff on foreign cars? India is very happy to sell outsourced IT services to other countries, but good luck with selling something to them. Tipically, the only way for a westerner to do business aimed at the internal markets of China or India is to create crappy joint venture companies where 51% of the capital is owned by locals. Not exactly "free trade", isn't it?

Cars are not the only item to consider. It is the fastest growing large economy. However starting from Zero 70 years ago, they have to be protectionist to some extent.
They have resisted the large USA supermarkets yes, but to allow them to trade would mean disaster for local shop keepers. There is still 40% poverty.

However many UK retail outlets in cities.
See above post.

Don't equate India with China.

amideislas Aug 23rd 2016 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12033348)
I have put links on a boring number of times.
A vast middle class market. The UK retail outlets in every big city mall for one example.
Go and see for yourself. Domestic flights which are less than an hour no more than £25-£30 according to exchange rate, cheaper than UK trains!! You can investigate the trade opportunities and invest in the airlines!:lol:

India's Narendra Modi Just Opened His Economy to Foreign Investment

At least M&S will flourish. In india. But how does that help the UK? I rather doubt M&S India PLC will be paying tax in the UK.

la mancha Aug 23rd 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033320)
Now I'm really confused.

I know you are. I don’t know what other large importers of European goods have to do with this discussion. Nor your piece about GMT and cards. When you feel less confused come back with something more intelligible.

la mancha Aug 23rd 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12033325)
If UK consumers buy less European products, not only do European businesses, their employees, and their local economies suffer, but so do the employees of the UK subsidiaries/supply chains/stores and their local economies.

I’m glad you agree with me. No one wins with a bad Brexit.

amideislas Aug 23rd 2016 9:01 pm

Nobody wins with any brexit. But that's academic now.

The remaining challenge is to figure out how to minimise the damage. It's Britain's problem after all.

la mancha Aug 23rd 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033459)
Nobody wins with any brexit. But that's academic now.

The remaining challenge is to figure out how to minimise the damage. It's Britain's problem after all.

You don’t seem very confident with the EU. Getting the jitters?

Britain wins with a cordial agreement as we will be free of the EU. As for the EU, you, personally, can have it. And damage limitation will also be a big EU problem, more so than the UK as the EU will consist of 27 nations to keep happy. But you’ll be all right. Won’t you?

amideislas Aug 23rd 2016 9:39 pm

EU getting the "jitters"? Where do you get that? In fact, EU members are becoming more confident. Anti-EU sentiments are falling, and the vast majority of Europeans believe Britain is just being typically British.

Not to mention that by far, the most pro-brexit, anti-European sentiments are expressed ... wait for it ... In British media.

Merkel Says Brexit Is U.K.’s Loss - Bloomberg

Brexit: the view from Eastern Europe

There are varying levels of understanding for the UK Brexit vote, but most people think that the UK has voted for Brexit out of irrational frustration – and that they will pay a heavy price for the decision.
... (There's more, but I won't bore you with links you won't bother to read)

Now, as far as Britain "winning" how so? There's not much data that would support that notion.

There are no winners. For anyone. But at least we can be proud.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 23rd 2016 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12033475)
You don’t seem very confident with the EU. Getting the jitters?

Britain wins with a cordial agreement as we will be free of the EU. As for the EU, you, personally, can have it. And damage limitation will also be a big EU problem, more so than the UK as the EU will consist of 27 nations to keep happy. But you’ll be all right. Won’t you?

Keep 27 happy ?
They can't even keep the only 3 who attended the latest meeting happy. :lol:

They all have different aims and priorities, so what sort of chaos they can look forward to at the next meeting of 27 which will include the most dissatisfied of all from E.and S Europe, doesn't even bear thinking about.:ohmy:

This from the Telegraph....
"Analysts said that the focus on defence and security reflected the inability of ‘core’ Europe to agree on fundamental questions over the Euro and how to revive the continent's stagnant economy.

Mujtaba Rahman, managing director for Europe at the Eurasia group, the global risk consultancy, said that the show of unity among the big three post-Brexit European powers leaders concealed intractable differences over the direction of the continent’s economic policy

“The French and Italians both want something Mrs Merkel cannot deliver – for the French, it’s more economic integration for the Eurozone and for the Italians want more flexibility to tax and spend – but she will only pay lip service to these demands,” he added."

Its good to be your own boss as my old man always emphasised to me. :cool:

amideislas Aug 23rd 2016 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12033453)
I know you are. I don’t know what other large importers of European goods have to do with this discussion. Nor your piece about GMT and cards. When you feel less confused come back with something more intelligible.

You seem to consistently suggest that Europe is entirely dependent upon Britain for its survival. I can understand your nationalistic instinct to believe that your country is the end-all to everything (as the common stereotype suggests), but as a practical matter, Britain is not the center of the universe.

DaveLovesDee Aug 23rd 2016 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033529)
Britain is not the center of the universe.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 24th 2016 12:07 am

Not the centre of the universe but the central hub and origin of the Commonwealth, 53 countries many with rapidly expanding economies,whose prospects are looking a damned sight brighter than those of the disjointed EU in its state of rapid decline in importance and never ending state of turmoil.

"The Commonwealth covers more than 29,958,050 km2 (11,566,870 sq mi), almost a quarter of the world's land area, and spans all six inhabited continents. With an estimated population of 2.328 billion, nearly a third of the world population,[9] the Commonwealth in 2014 produced a nominal gross domestic product (GDP) of $10.45 trillion, representing 17% of the gross world product when measured in purchasing power parity (PPP) and 14% of the gross world product when measured nominally."

The EU needs to forget about its long outdated dictatorial Empire building project and concentrate on a similar conciliatory approach based on peaceful trading ONLY, if it's to have even a remote chance of surviving.

Scamp Aug 24th 2016 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12033526)
Its good to be your own boss as my old man always emphasised to me. :cool:

As far as I can tell your dad should have either pulled out or worked for Durex.

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 5:06 am

We're English, my dear. Arrogance is beneath us.

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 5:43 am

Whether leavers like it or not, Europe has a say on how Brexit will happen

One thing was missing from Britain’s referendum debate over Europe: Europeans. We argued and wrestled for months over the nature of our relationship with the continent, while the continent remained silent.

In the EU case, there are at least 27 other parties involved, each with a veto. The Bloomberg survey makes clear that post-Brexit negotiations will be a game of 27-dimensional chess. Theresa May won’t be able simply to stitch together a deal with Angela Merkel. She’ll have to accommodate, say, Spain’s wish for joint sovereignty over Gibraltar or Denmark’s desire for reciprocal fishing access. The eastern European states will demand that Britain make a financial contribution to the EU in return for privileged single market access. And on it will go, times 27.