British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas May 24th 2017 12:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259532)
We've been talking on this thread for some while about the increasing possibility of a hard Brexit. Why would a fund manager wait until now to sell sterling short? But what if he has already sold sterling short and then found that GBP stays in a very narrow trading band, what does he do next - of course, he does his very best to talk it down.

Sadly some mugs on here suck this up and then post it like it's pearls of wisdom before swine. Please, Ami, get a life oustide of the headlines and quit with the anti-Brit rhetoric - it's making you look stupid. :fingerscrossed:

OK, I made it up. Nobody's shorting sterling. The decline so far is just a normal fluctuation. The markets clearly see brexit as a great thing, well worth investing in. Carry on.

lutonlad May 24th 2017 12:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259532)
We've been talking on this thread for some while about the increasing possibility of a hard Brexit. Why would a fund manager wait until now to sell sterling short? But what if he has already sold sterling short and then found that GBP stays in a very narrow trading band, what does he do next - of course, he does his very best to talk it down.

Sadly some mugs on here suck this up and then post it like it's pearls of wisdom before swine. Please, Ami, get a life oustide of the headlines and quit with the anti-Brit rhetoric - it's making you look stupid. :fingerscrossed:

If form is anything to go by, there'll soon be a post with loads more tabloid front pages to hammer home something or other. Sad really.

Bipat May 24th 2017 12:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259541)
True, but Britain's media has always been "special". Generally painting a picture of Britain (and Brits) as the defacto standard by which all things are compared (and admired). "fog in the channel" is an icon of that. And you see it reflected in the behaviour of many Brits (e.g., posts here). The "Brits abroad" stereotype is another good example of how it's manifested over time, and I see examples of it often.

Before I left England, I was also one who embraced the notion that Britishness was the defacto world standard of comparison. Until of course, I realised that it was only true in Britain, and much of the rest of the world, while each harbouring nationalist sentiments in one way or another, aren't anywhere near as self-absorbed as Brits.

The Americans are one exception, but it doesn't strike me as arrogance (in the British way). More akin to ignorance than arrogance. They just don't leave their country all that often, and when they do, they tend to embrace rather than disdain. Or learn something new. And although they currently have nutjobs running the country, the Yanks do possess serious politico-economic influence. Britain isn't anywhere near that powerful, which may explain why Britain has to keep reminding itself how great it is.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world just looks on with rolleyes... And you can be sure that with respect to Brexit, all the things Brits are famous for aren't evading their consciousness.

I think you need to travel more Ami--yes all those awful 'Brits abroad' exist. However probably all countries have those 'types', and 'our country is the greatest' 'types' by the millions!!

amideislas May 24th 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12259552)
I think you need to travel more Ami--yes all those awful 'Brits abroad' exist. However probably all countries have those 'types', and 'our country is the greatest' 'types' by the millions!!

It's true. Every country has their "types". But Britain is uniquely famous for it. And just look at its behaviour in the past few years.. Nothing less than a testament to it when viewed from afar.

Oh, and I travel quite a bit. I'll be in the States again next month. After I go back to Germany to retrieve my new passport ;).

lutonlad May 24th 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12259552)
I think you need to travel more Ami--yes all those awful 'Brits abroad' exist. However probably all countries have those 'types', and 'our country is the greatest' 'types' by the millions!!

:goodpost: Well put Bipat.
Positivity beats claptrap!

la mancha May 24th 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259434)
Yes, of course I read it. The point was in response to your implication that everything will be the same post-brexit (e.g., continuing to buy holiday homes). Unfortunately, it won't be the same at all.

And I added that link for the benefit of those who would claim Spain will struggle to survive post-brexit (again, the stereotypically self-indulgent British belief that everything's dependent upon Britain, which satisfies the inferiority complex, and provides some illusory vindication).

You keep coming up with this tripe, don’t you? Can’t you see you are becoming the joke around here with your constant anti-British nonsense? No one is listening. New Republic, Geopolitical Monitor..jeez…

As for your claim refuting Spain will struggle to survive post-Brexit and the self-indulgent British belief that everything is dependent on Britain, I have posted many links from Spanish media to show you how worried Spanish business people are and how wrong you are, but sitting on your small island you seem to be living in your own little delusional world. I have another link, their words not mine.

"SPAIN HAS TOO MANY EGGS PUT IN THE BRITISH BASKET AS TO LET THEM BREAK BY A BAD AGREEMENT"

'The Spanish Government must send to Great Britain their ‘best men’ to achieve the best of the commercial and trade agreements possible after Brexit.'

So affirmed the Professor of Economics and President of the Social Council of the Castilla-La Mancha University, Emilio Ontiveros, who emphasised ‘we have too many eggs in the British market, to lose them from a bad accord’
With Spanish growth up to 3% this year, we cannot allow any dark clouds on the horizon ahead as this would be especially catastrophic for Spain – given its open borders.


'Brexit must be ‘friendly and quick’ given the British are our best tourist and foreign home owners – more than 800,000 have purchased property here.'

Ontiveros: “España tiene demasiados huevos puestos en la cesta británica como para dejarlos romper por un mal acuerdo” | MAS Castilla La Mancha – Diario digital

CATASTROPHIC FOR SPAIN. Did you read that? Their words, not mine.

Now we wait for your denial and cryptic get-out-of-jail remarks.

Red Eric May 24th 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12259400)
A Labour Government we have had regular Labour Governments before, we may well eventually have one again --hardly "unthinkable"!

‘In politics, there is no use in looking beyond the next fortnight.’ - Joseph Chamberlain, 1886.

With the election over a fortnight away and the gap in the polls halved and still narrowing at a roaring pace, you may well be proved correct eventually, next month :fingerscrossed:

amideislas May 24th 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259563)
You keep coming up with this tripe, don’t you? Can’t you see you are becoming the joke around here with your constant anti-British nonsense? No one is listening. New Republic, Geopolitical Monitor..jeez…

As for your claim refuting Spain will struggle to survive post-Brexit and the self-indulgent British belief that everything is dependent on Britain, I have posted many links from Spanish media to show you how worried Spanish business people are and how wrong you are, but sitting on your small island you seem to be living in your own little delusional world. I have another link, their words not mine.

"SPAIN HAS TOO MANY EGGS PUT IN THE BRITISH BASKET AS TO LET THEM BREAK BY A BAD AGREEMENT"

'The Spanish Government must send to Great Britain their ‘best men’ to achieve the best of the commercial and trade agreements possible after Brexit.'

So affirmed the Professor of Economics and President of the Social Council of the Castilla-La Mancha University, Emilio Ontiveros, who emphasised ‘we have too many eggs in the British market, to lose them from a bad accord’
With Spanish growth up to 3% this year, we cannot allow any dark clouds on the horizon ahead as this would be especially catastrophic for Spain – given its open borders.


'Brexit must be ‘friendly and quick’ given the British are our best tourist and foreign home owners – more than 800,000 have purchased property here.'

Ontiveros: “España tiene demasiados huevos puestos en la cesta británica como para dejarlos romper por un mal acuerdo” | MAS Castilla La Mancha – Diario digital

CATASTROPHIC FOR SPAIN. Did you read that? Their words, not mine.

Now we wait for your denial and cryptic get-out-of-jail remarks.

Yes, we know, manch. Spain, Germany, the whole EU depends on Britain and will collapse without it. Naturally, because Britain is the defacto center of all things, not?

Back to the real world, Nobody said there's any upside. It's just that the downsides are not in Britain's favour.

By the way, have you managed to come up with ANY upside in Brexit yet? For anyone? It seems that aside from the Brexit team and the tabloids, nobody's counting on it.

la mancha May 24th 2017 1:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259593)
Yes, we know, manch. Spain, Germany, the whole EU depends on Britain and will collapse without it. Naturally, because Britain is the defacto center of all things, not?

Back to the real world, Nobody said there's any upside. It's just that the downsides are not in Britain's favour.

By the way, have you managed to come up with ANY upside in Brexit yet? For anyone? It seems that aside from the Brexit team and the tabloids, nobody's counting on it.

Yes, you getting a German passport. Bye-bye!

amideislas May 24th 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I'll take that as a "no".

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259593)
By the way, have you managed to come up with ANY upside in Brexit yet?


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259618)
Yes, you getting a German passport. Bye-bye!

:rofl: Too much!

EMR May 25th 2017 10:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Many brexiters believe that there is a new world for British products and industry reducing the risks we may face leaving the EU free trade area.
Aerospace has always been s major earner for the UK both via Airbus and Rolls-Royce selling engines to Boeing etc.

Well the world is changing, the first Chinese built and engined competitor to the 737 and A320 has just flown
China and Russia have juse formed a joint venture to develop and build a new aircraft to compete with the 797 andcA350.
Not only were China and Russia profitable markets for Airbus and RR but now these new aircraft will be competing on a global basis in years to come.
Yes the world is changing but not quite as some expected.
China is not just a manufacturer of cheap consumables but soon will compete at all levels.

InVinoVeritas May 25th 2017 12:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12260270)
....the first Chinese built and engined competitor to the 737 and A320 has just flown...

Erm..... not quite

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/...v3/1200x-1.png

EMR May 25th 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12260324)


So being a minority partner is better than manufacturing and selling the complate aircraft.
It's a changing world.
How long before those suppliers are replaced by Chinese manufacturers .
That is what happens every day .
Stop living in the past..
Maybe we should get used to being a bit player in the new world after Brexit.

InVinoVeritas May 25th 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12260329)
So being a minority partner is better than manufacturing and selling the complate aircraft.
It's a changing world.
How long before those suppliers are replaced by Chinese manufacturers .
That is what happens every day .
Stop living in the past..
Maybe we should get used to being a bit player in the new world after Brexit.

I will stop living in the past if you stop living in an EMR-predicted future based on completely wrong information.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:14 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.