British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas May 18th 2017 6:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

That's nice, manch, but I've been here for more than a decade, and regardless of what anyone says, or how they'd like more, this is a dramatically improved place than it was just a decade ago. And anyone who's lived here that long, of any nationality, would have to agree (or else lie).

But I don't want to argue about it. It's fruitless, especially for someone like you who's hell-bent on believing we're all impoverished over here in the third-world, to make you feel better about Britain's problems.

And the Germans do like to party, although there's no other place on this island as dangerous as Magaluf. People don't die on the ballermann from jumping off balconies or alcohol poisoning. That's a magaluf thing. The rape rate in magaluf is the highest (it's routine in high season, actually). There are gangs of muggers posing as prostitutes... Muggings are a nightly occurrence... And the vast majority of drug busts take place... Where? Yep, you got it. And where are the shiny new hotels being built? Billions being invested? It's not magaluf.

To the locals, Magaluf is the armpit of the island. The swamp. And the fact that it's all but entirely British only fuels the stereotypes. It's really the only truly British resort on the island.

lutonlad May 18th 2017 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12255642)
Berxiter talking out his arse shocker.

The ring of misplaced confidence !

Nice one! :thumbsup:

SultanOfSwing May 18th 2017 6:26 pm

lutonlad May 18th 2017 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12255644)
That's nice, manch, but I've been here for more than a decade, and regardless of what anyone says, or how they'd like more, this is a dramatically improved place than it was just a decade ago. And anyone who's lived here that long, of any nationality, would have to agree (or else lie).

But I don't want to argue about it. It's fruitless, especially for someone like you who's hell-bent on believing we're all impoverished over here in the third-world, to make you feel better about Britain's problems.

And the Germans do like to party, although there's no other place on this island as dangerous as Magaluf. People don't die on the ballermann from jumping off balconies or alcohol poisoning. That's a magaluf thing. The rape rate in magaluf is the highest (it's routine in high season, actually). There are gangs of muggers posing as prostitutes... Muggings are a nightly occurrence... And the vast majority of drug busts take place... Where? Yep, you got it. And where are the shiny new hotels being built? Billions being invested? It's not magaluf.

To the locals, Magaluf is the armpit of the island. The swamp. And the fact that it's all but entirely British only fuels the stereotypes. It's really the only truly British resort on the island.

Where would the arsehole of Majorca be then?
Come to think of it, has it got a scrotum or bunion?
Luton's sounding better already.

la mancha May 18th 2017 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12255644)

I didn’t say things do not happen in Magaluf, but let us call it like it is.

'Mallorca Combats Binge-Drinking Tourists'

SPIEGEL: Which nationalities are the worst offenders?

Navarro – (the official in charge of safety and cleanliness for the Palma de Mallorca city council): I would say the Austrians and the Germans. The English come in third place. It's kind of strange.

Mallorca Cracks Down on Binge-Drinking Tourists on Its Beaches - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Re the Spanish workers of Mallorca poorer now than they were in 2009, I did not write the article: a Spanish person did. Go argue with them.

amideislas May 18th 2017 8:01 pm

Look, you need not come and see for yourself. It's better for you to continue to believe everything outside blighty is "substandard" in some way. It's a type of vindication for you. I get it. It's perfectly predictable.

But again, that's precisely why those stereotypes have incubated. Because in many cases, it's quite visibly Britain that's "substandard". I think Germany would be the most ironic comparison of that. But if it makes you feel better, great. You're soon going to need all the "feel good" fantasies you can fabricate.

lutonlad May 18th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12255696)
Look, you need not come and see for yourself. It's better for you to continue to believe everything outside blighty is "substandard" in some way. It's a type of vindication for you. I get it. It's perfectly predictable.

But again, that's precisely why those stereotypes have incubated. Because in many cases, it's quite visibly Britain that's "substandard". I think Germany would be the most ironic comparison of that. But if it makes you feel better, great. You're soon going to need all the "feel good" fantasies you can fabricate.

A new level of incoherence from you.

Look, you need not come and see for yourself
Come and see what exactly?

Substandard? Who the hell said that - apart from your pathetic vindictive reference to Britain.

SultanOfSwing May 18th 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12255719)
Substandard? Who the hell said that - apart from your pathetic vindictive reference to Britain.

Ever wonder if you're maybe taking all of this just a little too seriously?

la mancha May 18th 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12255696)

My last post on this topic.

I am not really interested in what happens in Mallorca. I am trying to tell you that the recurring theme throughout your posts is that Britain is a minus and Germany is always a plus, and nothing will change your mind about that, not even the facts. You will not comment on anything in the German and Spanish media. You go on making excuses. It is as if they do not exist.

How can I make you see sense that it is not me saying these things but a German publication and a Spanish publication? I am not saying anything is substandard. If you think I am I must tell you I take my information from the German and Spanish media. Go argue with them, not me.

If the truth hurts I am not to blame. It is how it is. It isn’t my fault.

I could just as well use the argument that it is better for you continue to believe that everything in Blighty is substandard in some way. You even suggest it. ‘Because in many cases, it's quite visibly Britain that's "substandard".’ Can’t you see what you are doing? It is you who has incubated the stereotype. It is a recurring theme with you but you are blind to see it. Or you don’t want to.

They are not fantasies I have fabricated: they are facts from German and Spanish media.

lutonlad May 18th 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12255720)
Ever wonder if you're maybe taking all of this just a little too seriously?

You're right.
I'll have a beer and listen to Soundgarden.
(rip Chris)

SultanOfSwing May 18th 2017 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12255725)
You're right.
I'll have a beer and listen to Soundgarden.
(rip Chris)

This is a much better idea.

amideislas May 19th 2017 7:09 am

A new level of incoherence from you.

Look, you need not come and see for yourself
Come and see what exactly?

How impoverished Europe isn't. But it's probably better you don't... It would shatter your illusions, and you're soon going to need every illusion you can cling to.

Yes, well, apparently it's perfectly reasonable to presume British superiority, but if anyone points out how arrogant and naïve that is, (while exemplifying common stereotypes about Brits), then of course, it's "vindictive".

Eerily, the whole Brexit exercise has followed that behaviour. It's no wonder those third-world foreigners look across the channel with amusement. The fog seems to be all on the other side.

Nige got a real kick out of laughing at Europe. Let's see who laughs last.

InVinoVeritas May 19th 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12255879)
How impoverished Europe isn't. But it's probably better you don't... It would shatter your illusions, and you're soon going to need every illusion you can cling to.

Yes, well, apparently it's perfectly reasonable to presume British superiority, but if anyone points out how arrogant and naïve that is, (while exemplifying common stereotypes about Brits), then of course, it's "vindictive".

Eerily, the whole Brexit exercise has followed that behaviour. It's no wonder those third-world foreigners look across the channel with amusement. The fog seems to be all on the other side.

Nige got a real kick out of laughing at Europe. Let's see who laughs last.

The trouble with you, Ami, is that you get a real buzz out of the prospect that the UK will fail. At least the others here who are against Brexit still hope that the UK will, somehow, succeed.

Red Eric May 19th 2017 8:36 am

And the trouble with Brexiters, it appears to me, is that none of you can admit of the possibility that it won't be good for the UK except that any damage is deliberately caused out of spite by the EU.

EMR May 19th 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12255907)
And the trouble with Brexiters, it appears to me, is that none of you can admit of the possibility that it won't be good for the UK except that any damage is deliberately caused out of spite by the EU.

You need only to have watched Nuttal last night to have seen the looney fringe of Brexit.

Ironically I hope that he was able to revitalise the loonier Ukippers so that they do not vote for May.