Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old May 11th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Hey Mancha
You never told us what will happen to the 19 companies who can't employ more employees because you sent all immigrants back home ? see post 18073
I did. I said they should train home-grown youngsters.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:03 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
I did. I said they should train home-grown youngsters.
Must have missed that one, sorry.

So these 19 companies just have to wait a few years ? Oh well, thats all part of Brexit I assume.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Must have missed that one, sorry.

So these 19 companies just have to wait a few years ? Oh well, thats all part of Brexit I assume.
No, I also went on to say that any vacancies that cannot be filled this way should be open to EU and non-EU workers on a level playing field until home-grown youngsters are trained.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:36 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963 View Post
Was that aimed at me?

I will be unable to answer that question because I don;t concur with the idea that anything I propose is destructive.

Constructive. That's the word.
Look! You've even destroyed your apostrophe key.

And you're the poster who says he doesn't blame and then proceeds to do exactly that in almost every post.

You're just a big long trail of destruction and blame.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:43 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
No, I also went on to say that any vacancies that cannot be filled this way should be open to EU and non-EU workers on a level playing field until home-grown youngsters are trained.
We have hotels and restaurants crying out for locals to fill vacancies in the leisure industry.
The majority now employed are migrants from the EU.
Local kids do not like the work, hours too long and work too hard.
They do not want to start at the bottom., cleaning, washing up. bar work etc .
It's not just about the money.
Old May 11th 2017, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
We have hotels and restaurants crying out for locals to fill vacancies in the leisure industry.
The majority now employed are migrants from the EU.
Local kids do not like the work, hours too long and work too hard.
They do not want to start at the bottom., cleaning, washing up. bar work etc .
It's not just about the money.
I acknowledge that this situation is not the fault of the EU.
In which case I'd be interested to hear your views on who is responsible.
Old May 11th 2017, 9:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad View Post
Lack of worth ethic, overvalued skills and importance

It's all too easy to say that when I was 15, 16, 17 I1 8 tooknow whatever work was available but it was true
Old May 11th 2017, 10:06 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad View Post
People have gotten lazy. Or as EMR says, a lack of work ethic.

Lack of worth ethic, overvalued skills and importance

It's all too easy to say that when I was 15, 16, 17, 18, I took whatever work was available but it was true
There have always been a small minority of people who are too lazy to work, or who claim benefits while working in the black economy, but there are many more these days.

Given the increasing number of games consoles and other electronic devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones over the years, I would suggest that these could play a part in the increased lack of work ethic. Many of the younger generation seem to be addicted to these devices from a young age (including TV), and appear to get an emotional high when using them (and low when they're parted from these devices).

Also, in our day, our free time was spent playing outside/at youth club/Scouts/Guides, or in the garage/garden/kitchen learning life skills with one of our parents. These days, both (or the single parent) is at work while the kids come home from school and either sit in front of an electronic device.

And kids who grow up in that kind of environment won't see an issue when their kids do the same.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:06 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of worth ethic
Old May 12th 2017, 7:49 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I do think that many kids do underestimate their abilities.
We live in a world of paper qualifications and less of a can do atitude.
It is probably difficult for many to even get an interview to prove that they are capable.
Old May 12th 2017, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably difficult for many to even get an interview to prove that they are capable.
Also failure to take advantage of basic education. Son used to work for a careers agency (closed now!), he often had to fill in the client's job application forms in pencil, the boy (and it was usually boys not girls) had to go over it in ink---and they would still get it wrong.
Old May 12th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
People have gotten lazy. Or as EMR says, a lack of work ethic.

There have always been a small minority of people who are too lazy to work, or who claim benefits while working in the black economy, but there are many more these days.

Given the increasing number of games consoles and other electronic devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones over the years, I would suggest that these could play a part in the increased lack of work ethic. Many of the younger generation seem to be addicted to these devices from a young age (including TV), and appear to get an emotional high when using them (and low when they're parted from these devices).

Also, in our day, our free time was spent playing outside/at youth club/Scouts/Guides, or in the garage/garden/kitchen learning life skills with one of our parents. These days, both (or the single parent) is at work while the kids come home from school and either sit in front of an electronic device.

And kids who grow up in that kind of environment won't see an issue when their kids do the same.
Listening to my grandchildren's accounts of how things are, it seems your description seems to reflect the norm. Kids that buck the trend are often consider to be freaky in some way.

I find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would disagree with your (and EMRs) sentiments.
Old May 12th 2017, 8:22 am
Who - me?

I prefer that version a great deal more.

This blaming of people not having a so-called "work ethic" is silly, in my opinion. It's used all the time - sometimes against entire nations. It's become ingrained, to the point where it's just grabbed as a phrase and tossed out and there's no thought of even questioning whether it could possibly be true.

And it's dangerous. You start generating a belief that people or countries are not thriving because they lack a work ethic and it dismisses the hosts of real reasons for things being the way they are. It's stereotyping of the worst sort, usually used to justify a callous indifference (or worse).

Plus, I can remember the self-same thing being said about youngsters when I was one. It was just as irritating then.
Old May 12th 2017, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I prefer that version a great deal more.

This blaming of people not having a so-called "work ethic" is silly, in my opinion. It's used all the time - sometimes against entire nations. It's become ingrained, to the point where it's just grabbed as a phrase and tossed out and there's no thought of even questioning whether it could possibly be true.

And it's dangerous. You start generating a belief that people or countries are not thriving because they lack a work ethic and it dismisses the hosts of real reasons for things being the way they are. It's stereotyping of the worst sort, usually used to justify a callous indifference (or worse).

Plus, I can remember the self-same thing being said about youngsters when I was one. It was just as irritating then.
I don't agree.
Perhaps our life experiences differ somewhat.

My parents often moaned about the usual crap - my hair, the way I dressed, the music I liked or the state of my bedroom etc. However I cannot recall any criticism about my work ethic, so not irritating in that respect. I found my teenage years and beyond very tough in terms of balancing work, sudy and leisure. The same applied to many of my friends.
Incidentally my wife's father was very much a Labour man and a proud union member. Sadly his views on work ethic would be branded right wing these days. He supplemented his low bakers wage by working for a builder at weekends. He proudly believed that it was his sole responsibility to support his family.

No doubt such nostalgia doesn't sit well in today's society.

BTW. perhaps only a little more.
Old May 12th 2017, 11:33 am
Who - me?

I wasn't talking about my parents - it just floated around generally, though, in that dismissive manner that many older people have about "the youth of today", no matter what fine upstanding example they may be talking to at the time.

And you must have mistaken my meaning. I don't think it's right wing to apply oneself diligently to anything.

Last edited by Red Eric; May 12th 2017 at 11:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.