British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje May 8th 2017 6:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

And the blaming game has started

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...upports-labour

Hunt said the NHS was dependent on the UK’s economic recovery and growth. “If we don’t get a good Brexit outcome and we don’t protect the economic recovery, the jobs that so many people depend on, whose taxes pay for the NHS, if we get a bad Brexit outcome, that would be a disaster for the NHS,” he said.

Read more However, the health secretary refused to specify what a bad deal would be, or to say whether the UK leaving the EU without an agreement and defaulting to World Trade Organisation tariffs would also affect the NHS.

Why oh why does the EU kick us out and destroy our NHS !!!!!

Assanah May 8th 2017 6:53 am

BTW, just to give a few numbers: Spain export of fresh fruit and vegetables to the UK sank by 8 % in January and Febraury of this year while the export to Asia rose by whopping 45 %. Which country cannot trade with the world while being in the EU? I repeat it: The EU never prevented the UK from trading with the world. The EU never prevented the UK from buying fresh produce in Africa. In fact thanks to many free trade agreements with Africa the EU gave the UK farmers the oppurtunity to sell their products in Africa and UK customers to buy produce from Africa.

Bipat May 8th 2017 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12247305)
BTW, just to give a few numbers: Spain export of fresh fruit and vegetables to the UK sank by 8 % in January and Febraury of this year while the export to Asia rose by whopping 45 %. Which country cannot trade with the world while being in the EU? I repeat it: The EU never prevented the UK from trading with the world. The EU never prevented the UK from buying fresh produce in Africa. In fact thanks to many free trade agreements with Africa the EU gave the UK farmers the oppurtunity to sell their products in Africa and UK customers to buy produce from Africa.

What is the problem then?
Post Brexit, UK will continue to trade with other countries, but not under EU rules. The UK will also be able to make free trade deals with other countries with faster moving economies (and which invest more in the UK than the EU). Brexit is about the future.
The UK will no longer pay a contribution to the EU budget.

amideislas May 8th 2017 7:29 am

It's the irony of adopting an extremely hazardous "solution" to a nonexistent "problem", solely to satisfy ideological paranoia.

Bipat May 8th 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12247304)
And the blaming game has started

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...upports-labour

Hunt said the NHS was dependent on the UK’s economic recovery and growth. “If we don’t get a good Brexit outcome and we don’t protect the economic recovery, the jobs that so many people depend on, whose taxes pay for the NHS, if we get a bad Brexit outcome, that would be a disaster for the NHS,” he said.

Read more However, the health secretary refused to specify what a bad deal would be, or to say whether the UK leaving the EU without an agreement and defaulting to World Trade Organisation tariffs would also affect the NHS.

Why oh why does the EU kick us out and destroy our NHS !!!!!

You didn't mention from your quote; Anna Soubry and her description of the reports ---"opening salvos"---"bit of puff".
Negotiations haven't started yet!!

(However I always thought Jeremy Hunt was one of the mistakes Mrs May made with her Cabinet appointments).

EMR May 8th 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12247332)
You didn't mention from your quote; Anna Soubry and her description of the reports ---"opening salvos"---"bit of puff".

(However I always thought Jeremy Hunt was one of the mistakes Mrs May made with her Cabinet appointments).

Please explain how you can have a positive recovery with the atmosphere that is already building up.
Is Theresa May helping the UK with her comments and stance.
Is the British press helping.
Are prominent Brexiters helping.
I know you want the best outcome after Brexit, are you sure now that you put your cross in the right box.

Annetje May 8th 2017 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12247332)

That's true, I could have put the whole article in but I don't think that is necessary or allowed.
Anne Soubry is not talking about the effects of Brexit on the NHS !

How about replying to what I actually quoted (blaming game) ?

amideislas May 8th 2017 7:49 am

This is kind of funny:

Even Mother Teresa would have felt a glimmer of glee. Pretty much everyone else did. Over the weekend the internet erupted into spasms of schadenfreude when a luxury music festival descended into what a lawsuit described as closer to The Hunger Games and Lord of the Flies.

The inaugural Fyre festival had promised, not just an edgy approach to vowels, but an indulgent, Instagram-worthy experience. Tickets cost between $1,000 and $125,000 (£845-£105,000) depending on how gullible you were; in exchange, you were supposed to get meals cooked by celebrity-chefs, luxurious accommodation, live music, and the chance to mingle with models and “influencers” on an island in the Bahamas.

As you’re probably aware from the extensive coverage the Fyre fiasco has garnered in the past few days, none of that transpired. When the moneyed millennials turned up they found only soggy cheese sandwiches and disaster-relief tents. Twitter was soon abuzz with the wailing of the 1% and the cackling of everyone else.
The lawsuit argues that, while the Fyre festival organisers have offered ticket refunds, this isn’t adequate compensation for them “being lured to a deserted island and left to fend for themselves”.

If only recourse to a $100m lawsuit were available to everyone who has found themselves lured to Brexit island and been left to fend for themselves. Schadenfreude may have its satisfactions but, ultimately, it is an impotent sort of vengeance.

Schadenfreude is the emotion that defines our times

Red Eric May 8th 2017 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12247084)
So she was the only candidate offering a referendum and the chance has been rejected out of hand by a factor of 3:1

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12247258)
Rejected 2:1

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12247276)
Progress indeed, probably 4:1 today :p

:rolleyes: I might have known someone would quibble about basic maths.

Around 35% of the electorate didn't register a valid vote and therefore rejected the chance of having a referendum. Add those to the voters who chose to vote for the candidate not offering a referendum. Then calculate the ratio against those who voted for the candidate offering a referendum.

3:1 is rather generous, actually, now you come to mention it. I was rounding.

InVinoVeritas May 8th 2017 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12247346)
I was rounding.

That's exactly what I told my maths teacher - he wasn't convinced either :rofl:

Red Eric May 8th 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12247342)
That's true, I could have put the whole article in but I don't think that is necessary or allowed.

:rofl::rofl:

Is that an EU sense of humour at work there Annetje? :lol:

Red Eric May 8th 2017 7:59 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12247349)
That's exactly what I told my maths teacher - he wasn't convinced either :rofl:

No, no - you were right on this occasion! 4:1 is closer :thumbup:

InVinoVeritas May 8th 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12247354)
No, no - you were right on this occasion! 4:1 is closer :thumbup:

There are lies, damned lies and Eric's maths ;)

EMR May 8th 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12247356)
There are lies, damned lies and Eric's maths ;)

Then there are facts,
Such as how many voted for Le Pen and a referendum.
What the no voters proved was that they either did not care or were so disgusted at the thought of voting for Le Pen that even pro referendum they just could not bring them selves to vote for her.

Bipat May 8th 2017 8:14 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12247337)
Please explain how you can have a positive recovery with the atmosphere that is already building up.
Is Theresa May helping the UK with her comments and stance.
Is the British press helping.
Are prominent Brexiters helping.
I know you want the best outcome after Brexit, are you sure now that you put your cross in the right box.

I agree none of this is helping, Angela Merkel has admonished Juncker for his outbursts!
You didn't mention the constant criticism/ continued campaigning by those who voted Remain!