British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Apr 24th 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Jews leave Swedish city after sharp rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes - Telegraph

This was the situation way back when I was spending more time there.

Poor folk really believed they had found a place of safety when they moved to Sweden.

It was reported at the time that 75% of the Jews who had been living in Malmo had already fled at that time.

Police and authorities did virtually nothing to stop the persecution and were more or less content to stand back and let it happen.

It came as no surprise to those who were aware of Sweden's backing for the Nazis during the war.

EMR Apr 24th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12237340)
Yet another Remoaner has seen the light. :thumbup:

Brexit: Remainer Chris Philip brands EU a 'PROTECTIONIST RACKET' | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Remoaner HUMBLED: MP now 'optimistic' over Brexit and brands bloc a 'PROTECTIONIST RACKET'

A REMAIN-voting MP has performed a stunning u-turn by admitting that Brexit could offer Britain a whole host of new free trade opportunities.

Mr Philp said: “Although I voted for ‘remain’ in the referendum last June, I am optimistic about our countries prospects as we leave the European Union.

“I’m optimistic personally because the European Union needs us for trade more than we need them.”

Our local Tory MP was a Remainer, but like all " good Tories " is towing the party line., which is a pity because he does a half decent job representing local interests.

EMR Apr 24th 2017 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12237353)
Jews leave Swedish city after sharp rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes - Telegraph

This was the situation way back when I was spending more time there.

Poor folk really believed they had found a place of safety when they moved to Sweden.

It was reported at the time that 75% of the Jews who had been living in Malmo had already fled at that time.

Police and authorities did virtually nothing to stop the persecution and were more or less content to stand back and let it happen.

It came as no surprise to those who were aware of Sweden's backing for the Nazis during the war.

I was at a drinks party in Malmo this Christmas attended by Jewish family and friends.
Maybe they did not know it was not 2010.
Never let anyone tell you that Dick lives in the present.

amideislas Apr 24th 2017 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12237348)
Either the Express needs a better proofreader, or someone else does.

The word is country's....

It's not the atrocious proofreading or ridiculously spun stories that bothers me. I'm more worried about loading viruses or trojan horses when opening Daily Express links.

DaveLovesDee Apr 24th 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12237387)
It's not the atrocious proofreading or ridiculously spun stories that bothers me. I'm more worried about loading viruses or trojan horses when opening Daily Express links.

I've got an excellent antivirus barrier.

amideislas Apr 24th 2017 9:30 pm

WTF??? Rants going "twilight zone" now.

Hey, Trump's mental health is apparently under scrutiny too. Full moon? Position of the planets? or some other mystical force upon us? Conspiracy theories? Tin hats?

I hope this all ends soon and people can just use rational thinking again. (probably just wishful thinking on my part).

Dick Dasterdly Apr 24th 2017 9:58 pm

Of course Satire always helps as a last resort when the wicket becomes too sticky.

:cool:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 24th 2017 10:24 pm

Export boom for British manufacturers as foreign orders reach six-year high says CBI survey | City A.M.

:thumbup:

EMR Apr 24th 2017 11:04 pm

Do you actually think before you post.
It proves a number of things,
Global conomic growth forecasts improved as stated by IMF and WTO.
Improved economic conditions in the Eu our biggest market
No evidence of any of the restrictions you and other brexiters claim that are restricting UK non EU exports.
As you post export orders reach year high.
Come back when you actually start to understand the links you post.

InVinoVeritas Apr 25th 2017 5:41 am

:goodpost: Dick. Keep it up!

amideislas Apr 25th 2017 7:03 am

Brexit's Currency Gift Both Gives and Takes From U.K. Economy

The latest monthly report from the Confederation of British Industry showed that the weaker sterling is giving a big boost to exporters, with factory orders rising at a pace not seen since 1995. That came hours after a Deloitte survey showed how accelerating inflation -- also currency related -- is squeezing consumers and eating into their disposable incomes.

“The weakened pound is a double edged sword for manufacturers,” said Howard Archer, an economist at IHS Markit in London. Surveys “point to a recent robust performance by manufacturers, but the more forward-looking indicators suggest that the sector is starting to find life more challenging.”

Inflation puts the brakes on Britain's economic activity

The negative effects of sterling’s slide since the EU referendum appear to be outweighing the positive effects – a boost to exports. The weaker pound has raised the cost of imported materials and pushed inflation to a three-year high of 2.3%.

EMR Apr 25th 2017 7:15 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12237596)
:goodpost: Dick. Keep it up!

Indeed a very good post confirming that the claim by brexit that EU membership restricts UK global trade is just " project fear ".

iano Apr 25th 2017 7:45 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12237635)
Indeed a very good post confirming that the claim by brexit that EU membership restricts UK global trade is just " project fear ".

The EU's Pound land is currently a very cheap place for the world to buy stuff, at least until the tariff and customs duty starts kicking in once they leave. :rofl:

EMR Apr 25th 2017 7:58 am

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12237661)
The EU's Pound land is currently a very cheap place for the world to buy stuff, at least until the tariff and customs duty starts kicking in once they leave. :rofl:

We all know that brexiters will blame everyone else but themselves and government.
No amount of flag waving will change the facts.

amideislas Apr 25th 2017 8:29 am

I don't know what reminded me of this. Probably the Germany bashing and all the noise about Merkel and Trump and queues...

Anyway, this funny advert brings back memories. Reminds me how Britain and America share much of the same mindset. Also how that appears from afar.