British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Apr 18th 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Blimey, didn’t I rattle some cages!!! Calm down, folks, it’s only Brexit!!!

EMR Apr 18th 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12231609)

Have the Tories got your vote or are you still a loyal Ukipian ?
Brexit is no longer headlines its May , unlike Thatcher , "this lady is definitely for turning".

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 2:45 pm

Well, you're the only one who appears "rattled" so far (except for Dick, of course, but that's just his normal state).

It's become rather predictable that you'd accuse everybody else of your own behaviour. But your apparent unconsciousness makes it twice as effectual.

(awaits next hysterical post accusing everyone of hysteria...)

Lion in Winter Apr 18th 2017 2:45 pm

Well it might be, eventually.

How are the ordinary people doing today?

la mancha Apr 18th 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12231634)
Well it might be, eventually.

How are the ordinary people doing today?

Don't you know?

Scamp Apr 18th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12231645)
Don't you know?

You haven't told us yet, Masterful Lord of the Peasants and things Poverty.

EMR Apr 18th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12231645)
Don't you know?

If they are like the first person a pensioner, interviewed by BBC local TV in Bristol really peed off at the thought of yet another election.

SultanOfSwing Apr 18th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12231666)
If they are like the first person a pensioner, interviewed by BBC local TV in Bristol really peed off at the thought of yet another election.

There is going to be a lot of election burnout in the UK, I would imagine.

Controversial comment of the day: if May needs a 2/3 majority in the Commons to hold a snap election this year, how come the brexit referendum didn't require a similar majority to be binding?

:scarper:

EMR Apr 18th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12231671)

Controversial comment of the day: if May needs a 2/3 majority in the Commons to hold a snap election this year, how come the brexit referendum didn't require a similar majority to be binding?

It's May's version of democracy.
Ie I will call an election I will not lose but blame those who do not agree with me for being the reason why I had to call it.

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 3:24 pm

That was "the will of the people". You know, Democracy and all that? Oh, wait...

Bipat Apr 18th 2017 3:24 pm

The election timings are governed by the Fixed Term Elections Act 2011.

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231682)

Well, why not just call it a "referendum"? Then she won't need no stinking majority to "take back control".

SultanOfSwing Apr 18th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12231679)
It's May's version of democracy.
Ie I will call an election I will not lose but blame those who do not agree with me for being the reason why I had to call it.

I know why she did it. Keep Labour in opposition until 2022, rather than risk losing in 2020, since Labour aren't really in great shape internally to win a general this year.

What they can at least try to do, however, is claw back enough seats to force the Tories into a coalition with the Lib Dems to gain a majority. Corbyn is committed to Brexit, but it doesn't mean it can't be a soft one.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231682)

I know, and that is why the supermajority is required. I merely opined that a decision as serious as leaving the EU also warranted such a majority.

It was about 25% serious and 75% shitpost, I'll admit, but that still puts me ahead of Dick n' co.

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 3:51 pm

I'm not convinced there's a real choice between a "soft" and "hard" Brexit. Unless you'd consider EEA membership as "Brexit" (difference without a lot of distinction).

In the end, there will be something - most likely an "extension" taking it into the mid-20's before anything final comes to pass. By that time, the populist fad will likely be long out of fashion, the EU will be well on its feet and prospering, and Britain will left struggling to fight a battle that's long since become passé and irrelevant.

Annetje Apr 18th 2017 4:13 pm

Why wouldn't the Commons vote against the election, let May sort out her mess and have the election, as planned, in 2020 ?