Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:07 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
I do find it incredible that against all evidence to the contrary that people still believe the current Tory PM and ministers will actually be capable of coming up with anything approaching a decent deal and certainly anything appraoching decent for the majority of the population.

It is far to important an issue to just be quite so blase as they appear to be. Just a jolly wheeze no?
As usual I fear the rich will be taken care of and the poor will suffer.
What annoys me the most is when she says she is obeying ''the will of the people'' whilst everybody knows it is just the will of a minority !
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
As usual I fear the rich will be taken care of and the poor will suffer.
What annoys me the most is when she says she is obeying ''the will of the people'' whilst everybody knows it is just the will of a minority !
Just considering the record of May as Home Secretary.........

Oh the rich will be looked after without a doubt. Those in the forgotten North or Wales etc will continue to be forgotten as they don't traditionally vote Tory and well, don't have lots of money. Governments have always concentrated on the SOuth East of England and I expect that will continue and there will be a lot of disappointed people around and about.

The jobs I think many people were wanting back are not coming back unless they are prepared to compete directly in working conditions with China. Any deals with India I would surmise would involve the UK importing rather than exporting. What does the UK make that China and India couldn't make better and cheaper themselves? They have plenty of highly educated and skilled graduates.

Turning the UK into a mahoosive tax haven is not what many of the leavers really had in mind.....
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

So you voted for a ''general fundamental system of thought or belief'' replacing the word principle ...

General = affecting or concerning all or most people or things; widespread.

Fundamental = forming a necessary base or core; of central importance.

How do you combine those two ? No wonder Brexiteers are (generally ) confused !
You are just playing with words.
I know exactly why I voted for Brexit, I thought it would be a benefit for the UK. It will not benefit me personally. I am not confused, I formed my opinion years ago.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:30 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the rich will be looked after without a doubt. Those in the forgotten North or Wales etc will continue to be forgotten as they don't traditionally vote Tory and well, don't have lots of money. Governments have always concentrated on the SOuth East of England and I expect that will continue and there will be a lot of disappointed people around and about.

The jobs I think many people were wanting back are not coming back unless they are prepared to compete directly in working conditions with China. Any deals with India I would surmise would involve the UK importing rather than exporting. What does the UK make that China and India couldn't make better and cheaper themselves? They have plenty of highly educated and skilled graduates.

Turning the UK into a mahoosive tax haven is not what many of the leavers really had in mind.....
Unemployment rate in the UK is the lowest since 1975 ... 4,7 % !!!!
The only jobs likely to become available are the ones in de fields and somehow I do not believe all the foreign fruit/vegetable pickers can be replaced by the pride of the UK. They are just not up to that. (Not talking lazy but working for hours on end bending forwards, thats hard)
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:31 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
You are just playing with words.
I know exactly why I voted for Brexit, I thought it would be a benefit for the UK. It will not benefit me personally. I am not confused, I formed my opinion years ago.
Never mind, all will be well ...
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployment rate in the UK is the lowest since 1975 ... 4,7 % !!!!
The only jobs likely to become available are the ones in de fields and somehow I do not believe all the foreign fruit/vegetable pickers can be replaced by the pride of the UK. They are just not up to that. (Not talking lazy but working for hours on end bending forwards, thats hard)
Hard physical work at the minimum wage in places like Norfolk? Not a chance! I suppose something could be arranged through Workfare, or they could bring back serfdom or something similar.......

I've done mushroom picking and after 12 hours is absolutely exhausting (even though you are actually indoors). I've done the nasty jobs and I doubt there will be many takers. Also it is not totally unskilled as you have to be quick, accurate and not damage the produce. Again 12 hours of that and you really start to flag.

I don't necessarily believe government empolyment figures as there are so many ways of manipulating them. Let's just start on zero-hour contracts........
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding India. Any deals past and future are not just about 'goods'. Although I can assure you that there are many UK 'goods' that are already very popular with the vast and rapidly increasing middle class. (Highly educated and skilled graduates do not work in factories!!)
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:47 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

My posts obviously expect/hope free trade deal with my other 'country' about which I can see the great potential for the UK.
I'm interested in how you and others on the Leave side reconcile free trade with the UK's ability to henceforth pump money into key industries. How do you think those countries queueing up to sign on the dotted line will feel about that?

How will the low-paid and their employers in the UK feel about competition in their home market from goods produced in countries where there's no minimum wage and no welfare and workers get by on a fraction of what it costs to survive in the UK?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:49 pm
Preparing to move again

Hard physical work at the minimum wage in places like Norfolk? Not a chance! I suppose something could be arranged through Workfare, or they could bring back serfdom or something similar.......

I've done mushroom picking and after 12 hours is absolutely exhausting (even though you are actually indoors). I've done the nasty jobs and I doubt there will be many takers. Also it is not totally unskilled as you have to be quick, accurate and not damage the produce. Again 12 hours of that and you really start to flag.

I don't necessarily believe government empolyment figures as there are so many ways of manipulating them. Let's just start on zero-hour contracts........

Hmmm, right, yes, I read somewhere that they are going up considerably at the moment.
But anyway, to vote Brexit because of no job is a bit shortsighted, I think.
The whole country will collapse if her indoors can't sort it out, and frankly, I cannot see her succeeding ! Poor UK (soon to be little England)
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Regarding India. Any deals past and future are not just about 'goods'. Although I can assure you that there are many UK 'goods' that are already very popular with the vast and rapidly increasing middle class. (Highly educated and skilled graduates do not work in factories!!)
I know! But they can design and implement. And as labour costs are lower will obviously outcompete any UK product or company.

This will go down badly in Brexit areas certainly in the post industrial north. The future is education but the Tories don't care about it.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:52 pm
Preparing to move again

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm interested in how you and others on the Leave side reconcile free trade with the UK's ability to henceforth pump money into key industries. How do you think those countries queueing up to sign on the dotted line will feel about that?

How will the low-paid and their employers in the UK feel about competition in their home market from goods produced in countries where there's no minimum wage and no welfare and workers get by on a fraction of what it costs to survive in the UK?

You might as well talk about the UK in a few years time
Old Apr 16th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

[/COLOR]
When I feel truly cynical (I do have a sore throat and have a pulled muscle in my leg so not at my best right now) I would contend that this is the actual aim for the country.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

Not quite sure what you are getting at? (India already the third largest foreign investor into the UK).
The UK already imports cheap textiles and other goods from Bangladesh/China etc.
There is welfare for example in India, and cost of living is far lower than the UK so can't really be compared.
As I said above it is not about goods only---see links in other thread.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:11 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

However I would be very disappointed if finally the ECJ had any power over the UK.
If the UK has any agreement with the EU post-Brexit, then the ECJ will still have the ultimate jurisdiction after lower courts have ruled and decisions appealed.

Microsoft, Facebook and other U.S companies have already found this previously regarding data-protection and other laws.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[/COLOR]
Hope so.
There is far more optimism, advances in the economy, expectations across the classes, satisfaction with the Government, increasing welfare for the very poor in the one I know.

(Could do with the NHS though). However medical 'tourism' is an increasing benefit to local income and UK people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.