British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano Apr 11th 2017 10:06 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Got all excited there, what with Dick posting a link to the FT and all, thought he'd finally seen the light.

False dawn, as it was quickly followed by an Express link and a spot of Merkel/EU bashing, reverting to type.

Groundhog Day.

amideislas Apr 11th 2017 10:14 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
EU FOREIGNER FURY and OUTRAGE as "up at the crack of noon" misspelt cartoon character PROVES we run the world and the EU is just a miserable pile of stinky cheese and garlic farts| Global Britain | Union Jack | Taking Back Control | Empire 2.0 | Bloody Foreigners | Pigs Fly | Express.co.uk

DaveLovesDee Apr 11th 2017 10:18 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226582)
Suggest you pay your subs, you tight fisted........... :rofl:

Fair point. If you want the benefits of reading the FT, you should pay the price the FT asks.......

If you want the benefits of a free trade area of goods, money and people covering 500 million consumers, and a customs union of an even larger consumer base, you should pay the cost of membership. :p

But we've chosen to leave, so as with the workaround of Googling the FT article's headline to read it, we're going to have to find an alternative method of doing things we want to do, and these aren't as easy as Googling a headline. :p


Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12226603)
You're a subscriber to the FT? Pull the other one.



Yes I know - it's a tip I've handed out on numerous occasions. However, I doubted Dick would have had the wit to either take notice at the time or remember it now if he ever had.

And given that the article is a) way above the normal standard for him and b) not at all in keeping with his normal position, I strongly suspect he hasn't actually read it himself, or he wouldn't have posted the link here. Hence my question ;)

And here's the thing. Tusk is the same guy who got 27 EU member states to agree (in February last year) to most of what Cameron asked for, and which the Tories rejected to then call the EU referendum.

Does anyone seriously believe that after the time and effort to do that (and all of the previous opt-outs given to the UK), that Tusk (or any of the remaining EU member states) are going to try and accomodate what the UK wants without getting the UK to agree to some of the EU's conditions?

DaveLovesDee Apr 11th 2017 10:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12226608)
Got all excited there, what with Dick posting a link to the FT and all, thought he'd finally seen the light.

False dawn, as it was quickly followed by an Express link and a spot of Merkel/EU bashing, reverting to type.

Groundhog Day.

He probably saw it on one of the pro-Brexit FB pages.... :p

iano Apr 11th 2017 10:33 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12226618)
Does anyone seriously believe that after the time and effort to do that (and all of the previous opt-outs given to the UK), that Tusk (or any of the remaining EU member states) are going to try and accomodate what the UK wants without getting the UK to agree to some of the EU's conditions?

I don't think anyone seriously believes that, Dave.

After all, 'freedom' does not come without a price.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 11th 2017 11:22 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Freed from the EU's shackles, Brexit Britain can rekindle the regions



"Government intervention is back in vogue. Not too long ago, the words “industrial strategy” would have brought many business people out in hives. Surely we should let the free market be, allow survival of the fittest. Don’t you remember the Seventies?

Now, everything has changed. With the Brexit vote and the triggering of Article 50 behind us, what lies ahead? We are moving into uncharted territory and at a time like this, it is understandable that business is supportive of a more interventionist steer from Government.

Despite causing much of the uncertainty, Brexit will also create new opportunities. EU rules ban the UK from state aid, enforcing the ruthlessness of the market often at a very high cost. For instance, EU rules on state aid tied the Government’s hands when it came to the survival of Tata Steel. Should such a situation arise in the future, the Government would in theory have more options."

DaveLovesDee Apr 11th 2017 11:33 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12226633)
I don't think anyone seriously believes that, Dave.

After all, 'freedom' does not come without a price.

Would you like fries with that? :p

Fredbargate Apr 11th 2017 11:56 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12226124)
God but you need a special phone.

Some rather revealing responses to this post.

My supplier God provides crystal clear drinking water and fresh vegetables and other natural farm products.

However some of you seem to want mind altering chemical substances.

I suppose that accounts for your weird posts.

Scamp Apr 11th 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226589)
Never heard of self determination and Democracy ?

Hmm,well I suppose not.

:cool:

Yeah, it's the foundation of British politics.

Before you come back to this, check the definitions.


Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12226703)
Some rather revealing responses to this post.

My supplier God provides crystal clear drinking water and fresh vegetables and other natural farm products.

However some of you seem to want mind altering chemical substances.

I suppose that accounts for your weird posts.

I'm assuming this is a wind up.

Lion in Winter Apr 11th 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Never mind Gibraltar, what about Rockall? Will the shipping forecast ever be the same?

Brexit 'could re-open Rockall controversy' - BBC News


http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/c...04_rockall.jpg

Red Eric Apr 11th 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226671)
Freed from the EU's shackles, Brexit Britain can rekindle the regions



"Government intervention is back in vogue. Not too long ago, the words “industrial strategy” would have brought many business people out in hives. Surely we should let the free market be, allow survival of the fittest. Don’t you remember the Seventies?

Now, everything has changed. With the Brexit vote and the triggering of Article 50 behind us, what lies ahead? We are moving into uncharted territory and at a time like this, it is understandable that business is supportive of a more interventionist steer from Government.

Despite causing much of the uncertainty, Brexit will also create new opportunities. EU rules ban the UK from state aid, enforcing the ruthlessness of the market often at a very high cost. For instance, EU rules on state aid tied the Government’s hands when it came to the survival of Tata Steel. Should such a situation arise in the future, the Government would in theory have more options."

Strange that you should post this without a trace of irony Dick.

I have a very distinct impression that you hold Thatcher in high esteem and she, if you remember, made the "free market economy" a cornerstone of her ideology, along with the small state, privatisation, deregulation and "liberalisation" of the labour market.

Fairly much the opposite, in fact, from government interventionism.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 11th 2017 1:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12226745)
Never mind Gibraltar, what about Rockall? Will the shipping forecast ever be the same?

Brexit 'could re-open Rockall controversy' - BBC News


http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/c...04_rockall.jpg


A Perfect place to send all the Remoaners,
where they can merrily moan to their hearts content with nobody to listen to them but the seagulls.

Mind I'm guessing even they'd get pissed off with them after about six months or so.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 11th 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12226710)
Yeah, it's the foundation of British politics.

Just a shame Brussels never got to hear about it, eh ? :cool:

Red Eric Apr 11th 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226785)
.... Remoaners...

:thumbdown:

EMR Apr 11th 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226785)
A Perfect place to send all the Remoaners,
where they can merrily moan to their hearts content with nobody to listen to them but the seagulls.

Mind I'm guessing even they'd get pissed off with them after about six months or so.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

A bit like, etc your constant ocd driven nonsensical anti EU rants.
How will you fill your time when we finally leave or is your paranoia so deep that you really want us to stay in.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:19 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.