British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Apr 10th 2017 12:39 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12225631)
You know, Dick, you might want to consider pulling back on the "imminent failure" rhetoric. It just ain't happnin', and hasn't been for a long time.

I mean, here's a year ago, prior to the referendum

Euro Zone Is Growing Faster Than the U.S. And Britain

Blowing past both the U.S. and British economies, the latter weighed down by uncertainty over possibly leaving the Europe Union, euro zone growth doubled from the previous quarter, beating even the most optimistic expectations on healthy household consumption and a rebound in investments.

And now:

Eurozone economy quietly outshines the US

The eurozone economy has now posted 14 consecutive quarters of growth, the unemployment rate has returned into single digits, and economic sentiment has reached its highest level in six years. The numbers contrast with common depictions of the eurozone economy as stagnant, sclerotic and perennially underperforming.

I know you find that all very disappointing, but really, perhaps you should consider retiring this decades-old "imminent failure" line for something more contemporary.

Perhaps you could start blaming the EU for "kicking Britain out"? It'll no doubt be a timely topic soon enough, and hey - here's some starters for you:

EU parliament leader: we want Britain out as soon as possible

A senior EU leader has confirmed the bloc wants Britain out as soon as possible

Britain could be kicked out of single market

You use year old figures to illustrate a point then newer figures to illustrate a point re the US.

Here are the latest figures for Eurozone.

Eurozone reports sluggish growth, failing to meet expectations

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ations-economy

And…

The British economy advanced by 0.7%in the last quarter of 2016. The euro economy advanced 0.4% in the same time period.

British GDP advanced by 1.8 % after the whole year. The Euro economy advanced by 1.7% in the same time frame.

As for Britain being kicked out of the single market: if that happens we had all better start to downgrade figures, hadn't we? Especially Spain.

morpeth Apr 10th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225720)
The US intervention dates from the time of the Russian invasion .
Did the Taliban exist then ?
The UK tried twice to invade Afghanistan and left with its tail between its legs.Regime change is nothing new .
Of course Saudi influence is a direct result of our alliance with and reliance on them.
Reliance on their oil and the untold billions they spend on arms..

That is the point. The Taliban emerged after the Russians left, and their original fighters my understanding largely came from Saudi-funded Madrassas in Pakistan- and with tacit support form the Pakistan powerful intelligence agency.

No one forced the Saudi's to spread their version of Islam nor forced the Taliban leaders to adopt their policies . Surely they bear some responsibility themselves ? I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of bizarre reverse racism going on , that people in Afghanistan and Middle East are considered too child-like to think or do anything unless prompted by or in response to the West ? Or that they are considered as not responsible ever for their own actions ?

I do agree that the alliance with Saudi Arabia certainly proving to be a big mistake. Maybe cut it off, let oil prices soar so we will adopt alternative energy faster. I have heard a few commentators discuss this in the past, main argument against this was the effect on the EU.

Anyway off topic, just responding to your post, maybe a separate thread is better.

Scamp Apr 10th 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12225739)
You use year old figures to illustrate a point then newer figures to illustrate a point re the US.

And…

The British economy advanced by 0.7%in the last quarter of 2016. The euro economy advanced 0.4% in the same time period.

British GDP advanced by 1.8 % after the whole year. The Euro economy advanced by 1.7% in the same time frame.

As for Britain being kicked out of the single market: if that happens we had all better start to downgrade figures, hadn't we? Especially Spain.

So we're doing well in the EU?

Who'd have thought it.

EMR Apr 10th 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12225741)
That is the point. The Taliban emerged after the Russians left, and their original fighters my understanding largely came from Saudi-funded Madrassas in Pakistan- and with tacit support form the Pakistan powerful intelligence agency.

No one forced the Saudi's to spread their version of Islam nor forced the Taliban leaders to adopt their policies . Surely they bear some responsibility themselves ? I am starting to wonder if there is some sort of bizarre reverse racism going on , that people in Afghanistan and Middle East are considered too child-like to think or do anything unless prompted by or in response to the West ? Or that they are considered as not responsible ever for their own actions ?

I do agree that the alliance with Saudi Arabia certainly proving to be a big mistake. Maybe cut it off, let oil prices soar so we will adopt alternative energy faster. I have heard a few commentators discuss this in the past, main argument against this was the effect on the EU.

Anyway off topic, just responding to your post, maybe a separate thread is better.

It's a valid point.
The narrow minded and illinformed see Islam as the cause of much of the world's problems. Yet it is the Saudi expansion of wahabism that is the catalyst.
This radical interpretation of Islam which emerged with the creation of Saudi Arabia has been spreading since the 1970s.
There are just too many vested interests however as seen with our own Prime minister to start cutting our ties with the kingdom of Saud.

Red Eric Apr 10th 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12225759)
So we're doing well in the EU?

Who'd have thought it.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

:cool:

EMR Apr 10th 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12225739)

And…

Isn't Q1 2016 a year ago.
Is the EU not the same as the Eurozone.
Just a couple of points.

la mancha Apr 10th 2017 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225846)
Isn't Q1 2016 a year ago.
Is the EU not the same as the Eurozone.
Just a couple of points.

?

EMR Apr 10th 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12225933)
?

You should read and understand your own posts.
You accused AM of posting info 12 months old and then did the same to support your own argument.
You still do not know the difference between the EU and the Eurozone.
A common fault among brexiters.

DaveLovesDee Apr 10th 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225950)
You accused AM of posting info 12 months old and then did the same to support your own argument.

I don't know if the original post was edited seconds after posting (when it doesn't always show it's been edited), but the OP said Q4, not Q1

la mancha Apr 10th 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225950)

I have posted one link today. The date on that link is Tuesday 14th February, 2017. The article states ‘Eurozone reports sluggish growth, failing to meet expectations’, and refers to the last quarter of 2016. My post refers to the Eurozone throughout.

amideislas Apr 10th 2017 4:41 pm

Yep, really bad over here. Imminent collapse. Just what they've been saying for 40 years.

You should be glad you left. That's what a lot of people over on this side of the channel are beginning to feel anyway.

Oh, anyone notice that the idea of the "UK being kicked out of the single market" didn't receive one bit of dissent, in fact, Manch seemed to "not disagree". I'm stickin' by that one. I give it 5 years before they really start rewriting history. Somebody's gonna be to blame for Brexit.

iano Apr 10th 2017 4:54 pm

Rearrange the deckchairs, folks !

amideislas Apr 10th 2017 4:54 pm

Anyway, this was a bit of a chuckle.

Brexit hasn’t happened yet – and it is changing all the time
The rationalisations and concessions are starting to emerge as the reality of leaving dawns.

Oh, and this rather reflects what I've seen over here.

This Is How Germany Sees Brexit
“For Germany, Brexit is a process, it is not an obsession.”

Novocastrian Apr 10th 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12225994)
Yep, really bad over here. Imminent collapse. Just what they've been saying for 40 years.

You should be glad you left. That's what a lot of people over on this side of the channel are beginning to feel anyway.

Oh, anyone notice that the idea of the "UK being kicked out of the single market" didn't receive one bit of dissent, in fact, Manch seemed to "not disagree". I'm stickin' by that one. I give it 5 years before they really start rewriting history. Somebody's gonna be to blame for Brexit.

Yes. I've been back in France for a couple of weeks now, staying for another month or so. It's hell I tells yer. Enfer!!

la mancha Apr 10th 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12225994)

Imminent collapse? Who is talking about a collapse? My comment that everyone had better start to downgrade figures for growth was in response to your link that says the UK will be kicked out of the single market. I did not comment further on that particular part of your post because it just isn’t worth the time, mine or the day. Your posts and links belittling the UK are now boring.

I see the report you refer to is known only to six people, including Tusk and Juncker. What a pity for them it will take a majority of the twenty-seven vote to agree on Brexit, who will vote not on ideological grounds but on more practical issues close to home.

I have only briefly read the link being discussed but where does it say the UK could be kicked out of the single market, besides in the headline?