British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 9th 2017 12:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12224968)
Warehouse distribution, Amazon and their like, food processing, leisure, hotels, construction etc etc require tens thousands of new unskilled workers every year.
Where are they going to come from.
50,000 does not even keep up with the ageing UK born population or are 70,80 year old expected to carry on working to replace so called unskilled migrants .

Wait for the retirement age to rise again because there isn't enough NI being paid to fund current pensions.

People think their NI pays for their pensions in the future, but it doesn't. It pays for those pensions being paid now. And we're all being pushed into private pension schemes with no reduction in NI contributions.

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12224970)
Not sure about all EU countries, but isn't that similar to the rules in Spain?
I mean, unless you're a pensioner you have to prove your 'self sufficiency' to become a resident - including healthcare (and even in the case of pensioners, the UK Govt pays Spain a sum per head).

You don't have to be self-sufficient to get residency, you can be employed/self-employed as well.

lutonlad Apr 9th 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12224985)
Wait for the retirement age to rise again because there isn't enough NI being paid to fund current pensions.

People think their NI pays for their pensions in the future, but it doesn't. It pays for those pensions being paid now. And we're all being pushed into private pension schemes with no reduction in NI contributions.

You don't have to be self-sufficient to get residency, you can be employed/self-employed as well.

If you're fortunate to have a permanent job in Spain, you indeed have access to state health care, but this is not the case for many low paid jobs. As for the self employed, they are required to pay a 'stamp' of 250 Euros a month (irrespective of income) to access the benefit.
I understand that Spain is pretty happy with this system - so are it's private healthcare companies.

EMR Apr 9th 2017 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12224990)
If you're fortunate to have a permanent job in Spain, you indeed have access to state health care, but this is not the case for many low paid jobs. As for the self employed, they are required to pay a 'stamp' of 250 Euros a month (irrespective of income) to access the benefit.
I undersbtand that Spain is pretty happy with this system.

Not sure what any of this has to do with a post brexit UK and the "leave means leave "Tories.

Where are our brexiters who keep insisting it had little to with immigration.

DaveLovesDee Apr 9th 2017 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12224990)
I understand that Spain is pretty happy with this system - so are it's private healthcare companies.

The same rules apply to Spanish nationals as well, I understand?

lutonlad Apr 9th 2017 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12224995)
The same rules apply to Spanish nationals as well, I understand?

Absolutely DLD, and I'm not saying it's wrong in anyway - in fact on the contrary.
Also, I'm not trying to make a brexit point out of EMR's 'April fools' post - they did that.

I'm just mentioning the different rules that apply when qualifying for residency in another EU country and how they affect a persons entitlement to state healthcare. It's for anyone to judge whether it's a level playing field compare to the UK.

Thairetired2016 Apr 9th 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12224970)
Not sure about all EU countries, but isn't that similar to the rules in Spain?
I mean, unless you're a pensioner you have to prove your 'self sufficiency' to become a resident - including healthcare (and even in the case of pensioners, the UK Govt pays Spain a sum per head).

This is EU rule. It applies to every EU country and every EU citizen. Germans told me that it is a criminal offence not to have medical insurance when I visit. Try to get a Schengen visa and you have to provide an insurance policy for duration of stay.
Only UK didn't ask for it. Now they seem to do and people are up in arms over it.

Fredbargate Apr 9th 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12224933)

I didn't bother reading beyond the first two lines, because it is a long long time ago since the UK made me smile, before the EU.

DaveLovesDee Apr 9th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12225041)
I didn't bother reading beyond the first two lines, because it is a long long time ago since the UK made me smile, before the EU.

So you weren't smiling on 24th June last year then? After finding that the Leave vote had won..

Or on the 29th March this year, when Article 50 was triggered?

EMR Apr 9th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12225041)

Good job you do not live here then.
You brexiters make us laugh every day with your claims of a new UK, claims that change almost daily with every new comment from our government.

Fredbargate Apr 9th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225047)
Good job you do not live here then.
You brexiters make us laugh every day with your claims of a new UK, claims that change almost daily with every new comment from our government.

I would not dream of living in a country contaminated by you

EMR Apr 9th 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12225112)
I would not dream of living in a country contaminated by you

That makes me proud to be a 21st Century Brit thanks for the compliment.
It must be sad for you living in a world in which you are so out of touch with reality..
There must be some 1950s reinactment society you can join, if they will have you.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 9th 2017 6:36 pm

Britain set for export boom as economists hike growth forecasts

:thumbup:

amideislas Apr 9th 2017 6:50 pm

UK industrial output shrinks unexpectedly in February, adding to signs of Brexit slowdown
Industrial output fell 0.7 per cent in February, worse than all forecasts in a Reuters poll of economists that pointed to a 0.2 per cent increase

Brexit economy: UK faces squeeze on living standards
British households are being warned to prepare for a tightening squeeze on living standards

Post-Brexit-vote surge for UK economy comes to an end

Weakening retail sales as inflation raises price of imports allied with lower industrial output point to the UK economy ‘dropping down a gear’

Annetje Apr 9th 2017 7:20 pm

Just wait until all these new trade deals kick in ...

EMR Apr 9th 2017 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12225171)
Just wait until all these new trade deals kick in ...

I understand that Pitcairn has ordered a box of PG tips.
Expect UK exports you show a surge next month.