British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221363)
Well, the topic was whether the UK (or anyone else) could trade with the so-called "rest of the world" under EU rules, per Manch's assertion that "NON-EU exports" were on the rise (which is surprising, since one of the rationales for leaving the EU was because the EU doesn't allow it, or so it was perceived). And of course, it can, does, and always could, despite the misrepresented pre-referendum rhetoric spewed by the leave campaign, which you appeared to have adopted, like many others.

You spouted about "free trade" deals, which wasn't part of the topic I was discussing, nor did I mention it in my post.

If you were dissatisfied with my answer, then you aren't alone; dissatisfaction seems to be a "thing" now, particularly with regards to Brexit (and frankly, that was predictable). For example, have a look at my link from a previous post. They also aren't satisfied with the answer to what they asked for, simply because it doesn't fit the alternate reality they need to believe:

Tory MPs refuse to accept findings on Brexit by their own Brexit committee

I know that the UK can trade with non-EU countries, I have put numerous links on about it.

I asked you if you accepted the FACT that free trade deals are not allowed. It is surely connected to a topic regarding trade with non-EU countries.
Not dissatisfied with your answer. You didn't give one.

Also no comment on talks happening at the moment! I suppose you refuse to accept they are happening?:lol::lol:

la mancha Apr 4th 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12221311)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...d-weber-brexit

Oops. Ah well, they were only experts. Who needs them?

The ICE report suggested that any “protectionist move could severely damage confidence in the currency within the global economy”.

Euro clearing battle heats up as report warns EU against "protectionist" policy to move business away from London | City A.M.

Have you paid your subs to the Guardian yet, or are you still using it on the never never? With journalism like this no wonder it’s hard up.

la mancha Apr 4th 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221363)
Well, the topic was whether the UK (or anyone else) could trade with the so-called "rest of the world" under EU rules, per Manch's assertion that "NON-EU exports" were on the rise (which is surprising, since one of the rationales for leaving the EU was because the EU doesn't allow it, or so it was perceived). And of course, it can, does, and always could, despite the misrepresented pre-referendum rhetoric spewed by the leave campaign, which you appeared to have adopted, like many others.

You spouted about "free trade" deals, which wasn't part of the topic I was discussing, nor did I mention it in my post.

If you were dissatisfied with my answer, then you aren't alone; dissatisfaction seems to be a "thing" now, particularly with regards to Brexit (and frankly, that was predictable). For example, have a look at my link from a previous post. They also aren't satisfied with the answer to what they asked for, simply because it doesn't fit the alternate reality they need to believe:

Tory MPs refuse to accept findings on Brexit by their own Brexit committee

Gulf Arab states are pressing for an early deal on free trade with Britain to secure preferential arrangements after Brexit, and could have a draft agreement ready within months, Gulf officials say.

The US says we can negotiate a trade deal in six months.

The trade deals we negotiate will be better than the ones the EU negotiated for us.

It can be done in a very short time-span if one doesn’t moan about it all the time.

Novocastrian Apr 4th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12221391)
The ICE report suggested that any “protectionist move could severely damage confidence in the currency within the global economy”.

Euro clearing battle heats up as report warns EU against "protectionist" policy to move business away from London | City A.M.

Have you paid your subs to the Guardian yet, or are you still using it on the never never? With journalism like this no wonder it’s hard up.

So it could well be lose-lose. Are you happy with that?

EMR Apr 4th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12221396)
Gulf Arab states are pressing for an early deal on free trade with Britain to secure preferential arrangements after Brexit, and could have a draft agreement ready within months, Gulf officials say.

The trade deals we negotiate will be better than the ones the EU negotiated for us.

It can be done in a very short time-span if one doesn’t moan about it all the time.

Is that a deal with the same US headed by Trump who does not believe in free trade and that any deals done should be for America First.
6 months to do a deal which favours the US sounds about right.
Of course now that Mayou has told Trump to back off on Korea who knows how he will react plus of course he is making overtures to the EU.
A trade deal with the huge population in the gulf states eager to buy our goods which they already do ( sarcasm ) also sounds really positive.

la mancha Apr 4th 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12221399)
So it could well be lose-lose. Are you happy with that?

You should be asking EU lawmaker Manfred Weber that question.

morpeth Apr 4th 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12221046)
Disobeying the rules by replying on this thread.:lol: Those figures do not take into account the cost of living. Other claims go on about possessions, lack of car ownership etc. ignoring the fact that in the big cities the wealthy often do not own cars they just hire them when they need. (They never walk anywhere!!)

Well, the point was simply how would getting better trade deal with poor countries be better than existing deals with countries more likely to be consumers of the high value products the UK exports, and one can assume the type of products necessary to advance economic growth. ( At that level of per capita income below even the Philippines or Bolivia, India is simply still a poor country albeit with some dynamic sectors. If third world designation as you say out of date I don't know which other to use. No offense meant).

Perhaps UK trade with India increasing at a faster rate than it is with Europe, and when India in a few decades reaches Western living standards it could be a huge market. I don't know enough about the growth rate in such trade to have an opinion.

morpeth Apr 4th 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12221059)
With London set to lose Euro clearing business, worth $500 Billion a day, and potentially passporting rights to the EU, not to mention plenty of FDI, what gives you 'great confidence' that the City will do better outside the EU than an old cynic such as I might fear, morpeth ?

Simply the EU is no where near the level of expertise and ease of organization to compete with London. Yes London will lose some benefits, but I highly doubt places like France will make it easy for world finance or have the expertise that is in London. Besides these factors these fellows in the finance markets will want to make the same amount for money, and will have a government that will probably bend over backward to make it easy for them. France is just too bureaucratic and often too slow to move.

Having dealt a few times in financial market issues, even when doing business in France or Germany we would end up consulting back with London for solutions.

amideislas Apr 4th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12221396)

That's great.

Does anyone know of any "free trade" agreement that's ever been finalised in less than 24 months? (I understand the average is about 60 months).

I suppose it happens with small countries with few stakeholders. Perhaps these optimistic assessments assume Britain to be a "small" player. And it's probably worth considering how anxious Britain will be to sign anything resembling a "free trade" agreement, for obvious reasons. Willing to set aside its own key conditions just to get it done.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. In any case, "free trade" agreements won't "save" Britain. It's hardly an "export" economy. And the "rest of the world" tends to consider its own business's interests firstly in these negotiations.

EMR Apr 4th 2017 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12221462)
That's great.

Does anyone know of any "free trade" agreement that's ever been finalised in less than 24 months? (I understand the average is about 60 months).

I suppose it happens with small countries with few stakeholders. Perhaps these optimistic assessments assume Britain to be a "small" player. And it's probably worth considering how anxious Britain will be to sign anything resembling a "free trade" agreement, for obvious reasons. Willing to set aside its own key conditions just to get it done.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. In any case, "free trade" agreements won't "save" Britain. It's hardly an "export" economy. And the "rest of the world" tends to consider its own business's interests firstly in these negotiations.

No let's not be too pessimistic , dealing with feudal dictatorial states whose rulers are looking to offshore their personal fortunes could well be the way forward.
Only one problem, not that many of them.

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12221448)
Well, the point was simply how would getting better trade deal with poor countries be better than existing deals with countries more likely to be consumers of the high value products the UK exports, and one can assume the type of products necessary to advance economic growth. ( At that level of per capita income below even the Philippines or Bolivia, India is simply still a poor country albeit with some dynamic sectors. If third world designation as you say out of date I don't know which other to use. No offense meant).

Perhaps UK trade with India increasing at a faster rate than it is with Europe, and when India in a few decades reaches Western living standards it could be a huge market. I don't know enough about the growth rate in such trade to have an opinion.

I think the accurate description is one I read some time ago.
'It is a first world country with a lot of third world people living in it'.

Going from 80-90 % in dire poverty to now about 20% in 70 years means there are still millions in poverty, this number is reducing all the time. Of course it varies State to State.

India is a wealthy country with most in living standards comparable to Western. So an equal trading partner with the UK, it is already a huge market.
As I have said previously to the point of boredom it is the third biggest foreign investor in the UK.

DaveLovesDee Apr 4th 2017 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12221456)
Simply the EU is no where near the level of expertise and ease of organization to compete with London. Yes London will lose some benefits, but I highly doubt places like France will make it easy for world finance or have the expertise that is in London.

Having dealt a few times in financial market issues, even when doing business in France or Germany we would end up consulting back with London for solutions.

I'd suggest that Paris and Frankfurt will make it easy, and recruit the expertise after Brexit. London's one of the best because of the time, effort and money spent on getting it there.

There's a shitload of money for whoever does it right, in capital and in the disposable income of those working in the sector.

amideislas Apr 4th 2017 6:05 pm

Yeah, but they're all foreigners. You really don't expect foreigners to become "exceptional" at anything, do you?

EMR Apr 4th 2017 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12221549)
I think the accurate description is one I read some time ago.
'It is a first world country with a lot of third world people living in it'.

Going from 80-90 % in dire poverty to now about 20% in 70 years means there are still millions in poverty, this number is reducing all the time. Of course it varies State to State.

India is a wealthy country with most in living standards comparable to Western. So an equal trading partner with the UK, it is already a huge market.
As I have said previously to the point of boredom it is the third biggest foreign investor in the UK.

Average income in India is 1700dollars, hardly up to Western standards with the purchasing power to be of significant benefit to UK manufacturers of consumer goods.
10% of the population account for 30% of the total Indian income.
These are or should be our target market if tariff free access for our UK manufactured goods is agreed.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 4th 2017 6:18 pm

BREXIT BOOST: Siemens CHANGES ITS MIND and gets excited about OPPORTUNITIES - Your Brexit

:thumbup: