British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Aug 14th 2016 11:42 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12026764)
That's probably the best post you've ever posted. ;)

Go UK. :thumbsup:

I'll second that. :nod:

:thumbsup:

DaveLovesDee Aug 14th 2016 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12026725)
Hey Guys, We're far too small and insignificant.
we can't achieve anything by ourselves.:cool:

Gold Silver Bronze

UNITED STATES 26 20 20

GBR GREAT BRITAIN 14 16 7

CHN CHINA 14 13 17

RUS RUSSIAN FEDERATION 9 11 10

Leaving the EU makes perfect sense from an Olympics medal haul point of view. After all, the other 3 countries in the top 4 aren't EU members either.

johnwoo Aug 15th 2016 2:03 am

If the EU competed in the Olympics, it would hands down run away with it.:cool:

Editha Aug 15th 2016 7:00 am

Personally, I hope that Brexit does fail. The EU is important for maintaining peace in Europe, and if the cost of avoiding WW3 is the UK's economic failure, then so be it.

As for the Olympics, they are corrupt, drug ridden and a distasteful expression of nationalism, an ideology which is responsible for the deaths of millions.

Bipat Aug 15th 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12026913)
Personally, I hope that Brexit does fail. The EU is important for maintaining peace in Europe, and if the cost of avoiding WW3 is the UK's economic failure, then so be it.

As for the Olympics, they are corrupt, drug ridden and a distasteful expression of nationalism, an ideology which is responsible for the deaths of millions.

Are you saying that without the EU European countries are so aggressive that there is a risk that they wage instant war against each other?

As to the Olympics, yes there are some bad things about it but overall it is people from countries around the world competing with friendship and shared ambitions in sport. Did you see the gymnasts from South and North Korea taking a 'selfie' together. The competitors work so hard to achieve, they are an example to other young people.

jimenato Aug 15th 2016 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12026920)
Are you saying that without the EU European countries are so aggressive that there is a risk that they wage instant war against each other?

As to the Olympics, yes there are some bad things about it but overall it is people from countries around the world competing with friendship and shared ambitions in sport. Did you see the gymnasts from South and North Korea taking a 'selfie' together. The competitors work so hard to achieve, they are an example to other young people.

Probably worth doing a bit of reading on European history pre-EU.;)

DaveLovesDee Aug 15th 2016 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12026725)
Hey Guys, We're far too small and insignificant.
we can't achieve anything by ourselves.:cool:

Gold Silver Bronze

UNITED STATES 26 20 20

GBR GREAT BRITAIN 14 16 7

CHN CHINA 14 13 17

RUS RUSSIAN FEDERATION 9 11 10

GER GERMANY 8 5 4

FRA FRANCE 7 8 7

ITA ITALY 7 8 6

JPN JAPAN 7 4 15

AUS AUSTRALIA 6 7 9

KOR REPUBLIC OF KOREA 6 3 5

Rio 2016 Medal Table: Brexit Voters Claim Credit For Team GB Olympic Games Success

Bipat Aug 15th 2016 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12026946)
Probably worth doing a bit of reading on European history pre-EU.;)

I am aware of European history. However Posters keep explaining that Western civilisation and "culture" has evolved to such an advanced state of wonderfulness that wars?? How would that be possible?

But----- without the UK, if other European countries immediately start up the fighting, that will help the UK economy.:lol:

UK 38 medals:thumbsup:

Dick Dasterdly Aug 15th 2016 10:53 am

Since WW2 the majority of European countries have not even been in the EU for the majority of the time, so the EU can hardly take credit for keeping the peace.

Since WW2 no single organisation or issue has done more to disrupt Europe and cause widespread dissatisfaction, friction and unrest than the EU itself !

We only have to look at the present chaotic situation to see that, with various countries at each other's throats over the migrant/refugee issue,

Southern poverty stricken nations now discussing their own agenda,

Eastern poverty stricken countries now thinking they've jumped out of the frying pan into the fire,

the UK already bailing out,

Widespread terrorism thriving at the very heart of the EU, ably assisted by the open door and open border policies.

while France one of its founder members is now in a virtually permanent state of emergency.

Well done EU.:sarcasm:

If that's a success story, I dread to think what we're in for in the event of a failure. :thumbdown:

Assanah Aug 15th 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12026958)
I am aware of European history. However Posters keep explaining that Western civilisation and "culture" has evolved to such an advanced state of wonderfulness that wars?? How would that be possible?

Because of the mass immigration of non-European of course - what do you think? That Europeans can actually learn from their mistakes, wars, and brutality by themselves? :rofl::rofl:

:sarcasm:

amideislas Aug 15th 2016 11:03 am

Yes, Dick, we've known that the EU is in imminent collapse - ever since its inception.

You're not the only victim of tabloid media, Dick. The whole world has been going to the dogs ever since that fateful day when fog in the channel cut off the continent.

jimenato Aug 15th 2016 11:05 am

Yes - I would like Brexit to fail too - in the sense that we don't achieve it.

The other sense - that we do achieve it and it fails is much more likely.

mmmmbuti Aug 15th 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12026764)
That's probably the best post you've ever posted. ;)

Go UK. :thumbsup:

You are clearly biased. I question your ability to be a moderator in this board.

la mancha Aug 15th 2016 1:04 pm

The UK’s Brexit economic failure will be the EU’s economic failure, too. Pray neither happens.

amideislas Aug 15th 2016 1:24 pm

Not really. The EU is hardly dependent upon the UK.

In the (unlikely, but extremely unfortunate) event that the UK would commit economic suicide, surely Europe would suffer, but not existentially. The EU economy is about 6x the size of the UK, and is an export economy. Most of which isn't to the UK.

This is Britain's game to lose. There are no winners though, so it's a bit optimistic to say it's Britain's game to "win".