British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

morpeth Mar 31st 2017 1:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216218)
Here's the thing. I know that the blackshirts on here will cut me down in a hail of flashing swords in mere seconds, but I believe that there really was precedent for a second referendum, especially after this 'cooling off' period. Considering the narrow margin of victory, those who possibly didn't vote because they thought Remain was a sure thing and those who did vote Leave and are now suffering from buyer's remorse, there really is a strong case that a second 'comfirmatory' referendum might have yielded a different result.

I wasn't in UK during the vote so a lot I don't know, but I cant imagine why May doesn't meet with Merkel, get some concessions and go back for a second referendum. Why be afraid of a second referendum when clearly many who voted for Brexit might be quite willing now to vote differently if at least some of their concerns addressed ? What better was to negotiate than dangle a carrot as well as the stick to Merkel ?

And why shouldn't the EU back-off a bit on various matters to dampen anti-EU sentiment in Europe, then go back to the well in the future. Whole situation looks like a mess. I am not categorically for or against Brexit, but is May really of the caliber to deal with negotiations ?

Red Eric Mar 31st 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12218094)
S'right, the same major economies that the EU with all its collective clout has focused on, and which we've benefited from hitherto.

We're giving all that up to pursue 'unofficial talks' with Commonwealth countries such as New Zealand, and you wonder why some of us are pissed off.

It'll be fine, iano. Stop yer moaning :thumbdown:

The Kiwis have very generously offered to lend us some trade negotiators so any deal can be done as quickly as possible. Even more good news from Down Under - the UK is already Australia's 4th largest trading partner, so obviously no problems whatsoever with signing up to a jumbo mega humongous new trade ...... oh, hang on a mo' :confused: Well never mind that. There's a queue, that's all we need to know for now.

And apparently, the EU is so eager for a renewal of its existing relationship with the UK that it has said it will sign up to it as soon as enough progress has been made in the talks. All the UK has to do in return apparently, is to convince the other 27 that sufficient progress has been made and that it is prepared to accept all the rules including budget contributions and oversight by the ECJ during a likely transition period following the March 2019(?) official departure.

Trebles all round :drinkingwine:

EMR Mar 31st 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12218122)
I agree to a certain extent but the way I look at it is this: we can't keep having elections/referendums until we achieve the results we want. However, in cases of such gravity, a simple majority should not be sufficient to change the course of a country. I think someone earlier had mentioned 60%, and that sounds reasonable. That, of course, would apply to any Scottish vote too.

I believe that it should be be a min 51 % of those registered to vote .
That should also apply to the final deal because that will have as much influendetail on the future of the UK as the original vote was.

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218118)
Really , you should read the many articles on the subject such as .Bilaterals. org from Feb.
Not that positive about a UK deal.
What do you mean by free trade, tariff free access for all UK exports.
Answer please.
Brexit is not about trade with India, as you keep reminding us there is a bigger world out there.

I agree with you it is about worldwide trade, not just one country.
I just post about the country I know. Wouldn't think of correcting you regarding anything to do with Portugal!
Bilaterals.org --hardly comprehensive, or any detailed local knowledge is it?

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218129)
I believe that it should be be a min 51 % of those registered to vote .
That should also apply to the final deal because that will have as much influendetail on the future of the UK as the original vote was.

Are you suggesting compulsory voting. How would you achieve this?
Perhaps those who don't care enough to vote really have no useful view?

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12218124)
I wasn't in UK during the vote so a lot I don't know, but I cant imagine why May doesn't meet with Merkel, get some concessions and go back for a second referendum. Why be afraid of a second referendum when clearly many who voted for Brexit might be quite willing now to vote differently if at least some of their concerns addressed ? What better was to negotiate than dangle a carrot as well as the stick to Merkel ?

And why shouldn't the EU back-off a bit on various matters to dampen anti-EU sentiment in Europe, then go back to the well in the future. Whole situation looks like a mess. I am not categorically for or against Brexit, but is May really of the caliber to deal with negotiations ?

David Cameron tried to get concessions, what he achieved was not much in reality and still had to be ratified. It is not just up to Mrs Merkel!! There are 27 other countries involved!

Red Eric Mar 31st 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12218069)
With respect, that's a massive understatement.

Many are desperate for the process to fail and are openly hostile to anyone who voted for brexit, as eloquently put by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on the famously impartial Matthew Wright programme this week. She despises anyone, including those from her own family who support brexit. It makes her blood boil apparently.
Still, at least she's honest about it - unlike the Gina Miller camp who try to convince everyone that her actions are merely in the interests of parliamentary democracy and have nothing to do with her being anti brexit. Yeah right!

Despising the people who voted for Brexit is one thing but even if that is not acceptable to some, it really is a completely different matter from being desperate for the process to fail. Some might still harbour hopes that the currently steadfast course towards a "hard" Brexit is altered over time. I don't think many any longer realistically expect a change of heart. But desperate for the process to proceed and fail miserably? Now that really would be obtuse in the extreme, wouldn't it?

iano Mar 31st 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12218128)
It'll be fine, iano. Stop yer moaning :thumbdown:

Easy for you to say while ensconced in the gastronomic capital of europe (2016) quaffing trebles, but some of us are atop the Brexit cliff face, don't you know. :thumbdown:

Waddya mean we already trade with Oz ? Don't we have that to look forward to in the new dawn of 'Global Britain' ? I'm fizzing here.

mikelincs Mar 31st 2017 1:35 pm

Gibraltar now well and truly in the mix...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/outrage-sp...112505427.html

iano Mar 31st 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218110)
OK then. Let's talk about that in say, 30 years, after Britain England has managed to complete the single most diabolical outflanking of the world's largest trading bloc by signing "trade deals" with "the rest of the world" in desperation, while possessing far less leverage as a modest island nation with a shrinking economy & political clout.

rUK, ami, please. They'll strongly resist losing Wales for fear of England looking little on a map, and elsewhere.

Red Eric Mar 31st 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12218142)
Easy for you to say while ensconced in the gastronomic capital of europe (2016) quaffing trebles, but some of us are atop the Brexit cliff face, don't you know. :thumbdown:

That was last year. Due to budget cuts brought on by Brexit, as the UK will no longer be funding lavish lifestyles across the EU, it's back to mouldy bread and unsafe drinking water this year.

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12218142)
I'm fizzing here.

Must be the prosecco ;)

la mancha Mar 31st 2017 1:47 pm

Maybe some people should stop sounding like they want Britain to fail.

Red Eric Mar 31st 2017 1:56 pm

And maybe some people should apply themselves better to what others are actually posting and not what their hastily-formed impressions are.

Come to that, some could also do with brushing up on their ability to properly understand what is said or printed in news reports.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 31st 2017 2:06 pm

UK takes back the right to deport as Britain repeals powers from EU

:thumbup:

InVinoVeritas Mar 31st 2017 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218067)
You seem determined to ignore the fact that we already trade with most of the other 196 coun tries in the world and have done for over 100 years.
We did not stop trading when we joined the EU.
You are getting as bad as Dick when it comes to facts.

Oh dear, I don't know how you keep getting it so wrong.

The UK can only trade with the rest of the world, including the Commonwealth, under the terms the EU dictates

Once we are out of the EU we can trade on whatever terms we and other countries decide.