British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Mar 30th 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12217143)
So they can repeal the work time directive, minimum wage, health and safety etc without anyone knowing until it's too late. That's at least partly what this game is all about. Only two ways to compete with China, one hasn't been properly funded or given any respect for years and the other is obvious.

I too don't trust this government at all to look out for normal people.

Minimum wage laws and most UK H&S laws aren't EU-related.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217174)
“It’s not moving our whole London base, it’s just setting up an EU subsidiary.”
Chairman John Nelson confirms:....

“London will remain the major financial centre for Europe. It’s certainly going to remain the major financial centre for Lloyd’s.”

How many people will be working in the Lloyd’s Brussels office?

Nelson says it will be in the “tens, not the hundreds”.

Lloyd’s of London has 995 staff.
It is just untrue for Remainers to say this is evidence of a banking exodus from London.

Is it any surprise that Lloyd’s would open a small EU subsidiary in an EU country post-Brexit?

It’s not even a surprise that they would choose Belgium, seeing as “Lloyd’s in Belgium” has existed since 1994."

So you're agreeing with me now..... :cool:

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217197)

So is the UK's....... Try living on the wage of one minimum income wage-earner without some kind of tax credit top-up, especially on a zero-hour contract, you're a single parent, or you have a family where the other parent doesn't/can't work for any reason.

The UK minimum wage needs to be at least £19,968 per year (9.60ph) outside London, and £24,960+ (£12ph) within the M25 based on a 40hr work week. This closely meets the relevant benefit caps in those areas of £20,000 and £26,000 per year, and will make work pay better than benefits will. And this would cut the tax credits bill as well.

jetsam1 Mar 30th 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12217214)
Minimum wage laws and most UK H&S laws aren't EU-related.

But statuary instruments to hide changes?

DaveLovesDee Mar 30th 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12217221)
But statuary instruments to hide changes?

No different to how most of the UK immigration rules have been changed in the last 5 years, including bringing in the £18,600 minimum income requirement in the Spouse visa changes in 2012.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12216915)
They didn't even win that, the only reason they got a seat is because that MP changed parties, and now that the referendum has finished he's left UKIP in any case, so NO seats in the commons for UKIP.

Ha! Oh well, that's that, then.

Red Eric Mar 30th 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217197)
One for Comrade Eric then,

Portugal’s minimum wage well below subsistence level - The Portugal News

:cool:

I imagine Comrade EMR will join him out on the streets in protest during his next visit.

I'm really completely flummoxed as to the point of this post. However, just for info, when the current government took office, the minimum wage was stuck where it had been for the previous few years at under 500€ per month. They agreed with the parties that support them in Parliament that it would be raised to 600€ by the end of their 4 years - and it is well on track for that, despite protests and dire warnings from numerous bodies within and outside Portugal and attempts by the Eurogroup and the Commission to derail their ambitions.

20% pay rise in 4 years for those on minimum salary - OK?

la mancha Mar 30th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12216881)
Are you trying to tell me UKIP still has any kind of relevance anymore now that A50 has been invoked? They will go back to being nobody. How many seats did they win last election again? What was it? Oh yeah, one. Exactly what purpose do they serve, other than being a focus of ridicule and hopefully a dumping ground for the far-right wing that has ruined the once viable Tories?

I need whatever drugs you are taking, that's what I need :blink:

I did say before the referendum that if we voted out, UKIP would have fulfilled their purpose and would be irrelevant as it stood. Their platform was for the UK to come out of the EU. It is in their name, United Kingdom Independence Party. You probably missed my posts back then so we can agree on this point.

As far as I know UKIP is the first British political party with no home grown MPs to have had such an influence on the way the UK will be run. It is unprecedented. They have no power through MPs in Parliament but they do have power across the country via the electorate. It has been said many times that if Cameron had held out things would look very different today. He blinked first and called the referendum. That gave power to the electorate without boundaries, UKIP’s main power base. The rest is history. No matter what you think about UKIP you must give them credit for their perseverance and comprehension of the feelings of ordinary British people. UKIP out-thought and out-fought every political party and won, without having one single home-grown MP.

Now, after A50? UKIP are a party of change. They will not go away until we are finally out of the EU. They have tremendous support across the UK. The more people try to ridicule UKIP the stronger they get, something people still do not understand. Face the obvious: UKIP, with no home-grown MPs, has changed the course of Britain. They still have every political party looking over their shoulders. To call UKIP ‘nobodies’ is ignoring not only history but the future as well because they are not going away just yet.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12217277)
I did say before the referendum that if we voted out, UKIP would have fulfilled their purpose and would be irrelevant as it stood. Their platform was for the UK to come out of the EU. It is in their name, United Kingdom Independence Party. You probably missed my posts back then so we can agree on this point.

I skip a lot when there are more the 5 pages to catch up on and I haven't been quoted. I almost certainly missed them.

As far as I know UKIP is the first British political party with no home grown MPs to have had such an influence on the way the UK will be run. It is unprecedented. They have no power through MPs in Parliament but they do have power across the country via the electorate. It has been said many times that if Cameron had held out things would look very different today. He blinked first and called the referendum. That gave power to the electorate without boundaries, UKIP’s main power base. The rest is history. No matter what you think about UKIP you must give them credit for their perseverance and comprehension of the feelings of ordinary British people. UKIP out-thought and out-fought every political party and won, without having one single home-grown MP.

They represent the sickening Britain First, Daily Mail reading little Englanders. No 'ordinary British person' that I know would have given them the time of day.

Cameron absolutely should have held his ground. He was Prime Minister, he didn't need a bunch of would-be backbenchers telling him how to do his job, but yet he caved and put reelection over the good of the country. Honestly, I'd have accepted a few more seats going to UKIP as reasonable collateral damage for telling them to get bent over the referendum.

Now, after A50? UKIP are a party of change. They will not go away until we are finally out of the EU. They have tremendous support across the UK. The more people try to ridicule UKIP the stronger they get, something people still do not understand. Face the obvious: UKIP, with no home-grown MPs, has changed the course of Britain. They still have every political party looking over their shoulders. To call UKIP ‘nobodies’ is ignoring not only history but the future as well because they are not going away just yet.

UKIP have changed the course of Britain, they've set it back 50 years with their ridiculous brand of tabloid-driven nationalist populism. Tell White Van Man exactly what he wants to hear, whip him into a frenzy over brown people, pretend it's about trade rather than lining their own pockets and off you go.

So I will not change my opinion of them. I have absolutely no respect for UKIP as a party, an institution, nor for their ideology and even less for those who fell for the scam and voted for them. If they went away today, it would still not be quick enough.

InVinoVeritas Mar 30th 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12217203)
How is this the fault of the EU ?

Yes we know the min wage is far too low.
Unlike you in Spain when in Portugal I do not spend my time with other sad embittered British migrants.

I'm somewhat surprised that you admit to being a sad embittered British migrant but maybe it would be better to stay in the UK and help make Brexit work. ;)

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12217288)
... help make Brexit work. ;)

That it is even being suggested that that is the responsibility of anyone but the empty vessels who forced the referendum on us in the first place is really a good indication that it shouldn't have happened at all.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217287)
I skip a lot when there are more the 5 pages to catch up on and I haven't been quoted. I almost certainly missed them.

They represent the sickening Britain First, Daily Mail reading little Englanders. No 'ordinary British person' that I know would have given them the time of day.

Cameron absolutely should have held his ground. He was Prime Minister, he didn't need a bunch of would-be backbenchers telling him how to do his job, but yet he caved and put reelection over the good of the country. Honestly, I'd have accepted a few more seats going to UKIP as reasonable collateral damage for telling them to get bent over the referendum.

UKIP have changed the course of Britain, they've set it back 50 years with their ridiculous brand of tabloid-driven nationalist populism. Tell White Van Man exactly what he wants to hear, whip him into a frenzy over brown people, pretend it's about trade rather than lining their own pockets and off you go.

So I will not change my opinion of them. I have absolutely no respect for UKIP as a party, an institution, nor for their ideology and even less for those who fell for the scam and voted for them. If they went away today, it would still not be quick enough.

What he said.

InVinoVeritas Mar 30th 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217289)
That it is even being suggested that that is the responsibility of anyone but the empty vessels who forced the referendum on us in the first place is really a good indication that it shouldn't have happened at all.

I don't believe I said it was a responsibilty. On the other hand, EMR has many business contacts who will probably need all the help he can give. With his deep knowledge of international affairs he could be of enormous assistance.

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217291)
What he said.

Careful, they'll say you're a red next ;)

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12217293)
I don't believe I said it was a responsibilty. On the other hand, EMR has many business contacts who will probably need all the help he can give. With his deep knowledge of international affairs he could be of enormous assistance.

That's why I used the word 'suggestion', implying that it could be an interpretation. I'm staying out of whatever BS pseudo 'war' you lot appear to be waging (and largely losing, I will point out) with EMR.

Jesus, you UKIPpers really have the worst grasp on the nuances of your mother tongue, don't you?

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217299)
Careful, they'll say you're a red next ;)

No, surely not.....

SultanOfSwing Mar 30th 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217301)
No, surely not.....

Or worse, a cultural Marxist :ohmy:

Because, as we all know, the worst insults are ones that are made up things.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12217302)
Or worse, a cultural Marxist :ohmy:

Because, as we all know, the worst insults are ones that are made up things.

Being insulted by certain people is a compliment. I wouldn't have it any other way.