British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jetsam1 Mar 30th 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12217142)
Just confirmed in Parliament the government will not be publishing a draft of their so called Grand Repeal Bill.
So much for keeping us all informed.

So they can repeal the work time directive, minimum wage, health and safety etc without anyone knowing until it's too late. That's at least partly what this game is all about. Only two ways to compete with China, one hasn't been properly funded or given any respect for years and the other is obvious.

I too don't trust this government at all to look out for normal people.

amideislas Mar 30th 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12217143)
So they can repeal the work time directive, minimum wage, health and safety etc without anyone knowing until it's too late. That's at least partly what this game is all about. Only two ways to compete with China, one hasn't been properly funded or given any respect for years and the other is obvious.

I too don't trust this government at all to look out for normal people.

"Compete with China"? Isn't that a bit like loch ness "competing" with the Pacific?

Dick Dasterdly Mar 30th 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12216759)
As far as I can find, the EU doesn't set minimum age limits for employment. That's down to national governments in the individual member states. So are minimum wage limits.

If companies in these countries aren't complying with those laws (or countries don't have a minimum wage law, that's a matter for that country's government, not the EU.

Lloyds of London IS opening a Brussels office, in addition to their London office Lloyd’s of London will move jobs to new Brussels office It already has offices in Dubai and Beijing, to serve their markets.

And London may be the top financial centre at the moment, but we haven't Brexited yet. Though now that we've triggered Article 50, financial services companies now have a date that any moving has to be done by.

Especially for those Remoaners wetting their knickers with all the excitement.

Calm down, I tell you.

“It’s not moving our whole London base, it’s just setting up an EU subsidiary.”
Chairman John Nelson confirms:....

“London will remain the major financial centre for Europe. It’s certainly going to remain the major financial centre for Lloyd’s.”

How many people will be working in the Lloyd’s Brussels office?

Nelson says it will be in the “tens, not the hundreds”.

Lloyd’s of London has 995 staff.
It is just untrue for Remainers to say this is evidence of a banking exodus from London.

Is it any surprise that Lloyd’s would open a small EU subsidiary in an EU country post-Brexit?

It’s not even a surprise that they would choose Belgium, seeing as “Lloyd’s in Belgium” has existed since 1994."

:cool:

By the way I am well aware that it is up to individual govts to police their own minimum wage levels.

Just as I'm well aware that in some countries, mainly the poorer ones, Spain being one example they turn a blind eye.

As I said the North South divide and East West divide within the Eu simply increases and I doubt if the Fat Cats in Brussels even care a toss, as long as they keep them under the cosh.

amideislas Mar 30th 2017 1:18 pm

Sorry, Dick, I've employed people in Spain, and well, you simply can't get around the minimum wage unless you don't employ anyone. And working "black" has become really hard to do. It still happens of course, but mainly for one-on-one cash paid hand workers doing occasional work. Minimum wage simply can't be avoided on any large scale.

Besides, the minimum wage is only 825.7 € per month. Not exactly great incentive to avoid it.

jetsam1 Mar 30th 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12217173)
"Compete with China"? Isn't that a bit like loch ness "competing" with the Pacific?

I was under the impression that was going to be the brave new world........

Oh and in Hungary they check up about minimum wage and working times. A place I know got raided by the Inspectors and they brought 20 Police along too. There is a crackdown on the black market.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 30th 2017 1:24 pm

"Rather than risk their totalitarian regime being broken up, the EU are looking to pick a fight with anyone, who questions them.
No doubt Juncker had too much claret with his cornflakes this morning.
EUROPEAN Union boss Jean-Claude Juncker this afternoon issued a jaw-dropping threat to the United States, saying he could campaign to break up the country in revenge for Donald Trump’s supportive comments about Brexit.
In an extraordinary speech the EU Commission president said he would push for Ohio and Texas to split from the rest of America if the Republican president does not change his tune and become more supportive of the EU.
The remarks are diplomatic dynamite at a time when relations between Washington and Brussels are already strained over Europe’s meagre contributions to NATO and the US leader’s open preference for dealing with national governments."

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Poor sad embittered old Junkie.

Too much Claret on his cornflakes again.

:lol:

EMR Mar 30th 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217184)
"Rather than risk their totalitarian regime being broken up, the EU are looking to pick a fight with anyone, who questions them.
EUROPEAN Union boss Jean-Claude Juncker this afternoon issued a jaw-dropping threat to the United States, saying he could campaign to break up the country in revenge for Donald Trump’s supportive comments about Brexit.
In an extraordinary speech the EU Commission president said he would push for Ohio and Texas to split from the rest of America if the Republican president does not change his tune and become more supportive of the EU.
The remarks are diplomatic dynamite at a time when relations between Washington and Brussels are already strained over Europe’s meagre contributions to NATO and the US leader’s open preference for dealing with national governments."

When did this happen and wtf has it got to do with article 50.
Have you forgotten we are leaving the EU .

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217184)

a) If you are going to copy and paste from the Daily Express you should credit them before you get BE into copyright trouble

European Union - EU boss threatens to break up US in retaliation for Trump Brexit support | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

b) The fact that you can't catch the tone of a speech doesn't mean that others can't. Juncker was obviously making a sarcastic remark in response to Trump's urging other countries to attempt to break up the EU. Here is a fractionally more respectable source.

https://www.ft.com/content/b350f351-...5-d6692c17a011

c) Really, don't you think it's time you moved on?

Dick Dasterdly Mar 30th 2017 1:39 pm

One for Comrade Eric then,

Portugal’s minimum wage well below subsistence level - The Portugal News

I imagine Comrade EMR will join him out on the streets in protest during his next visit.

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jetsam1 (Post 12217181)
I was under the impression that was going to be the brave new world........

Oh it is. Apparently the British government and the multinational companies are suddenly going to start concerning themselves with the welfare of their lowest-paid.

Now that the wicked, wicked EU won't "control" us (despite the fact that minimum wages are and were set by national governments) I fully expect a concentrated blast of altruism from the ruling bodies.

EMR Mar 30th 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217193)
a) If you are going to copy and paste from the Daily Express you should credit them before you get BE into copyright trouble

European Union - EU boss threatens to break up US in retaliation for Trump Brexit support | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

b) The fact that you can't catch the tone of a speech doesn't mean that others can't. Juncker was obviously making a sarcastic remark in response to Trump's urging other countries to attempt to break up the EU. Here is a fractionally more respectable source.

https://www.ft.com/content/b350f351-...5-d6692c17a011

c) Really, don't you think it's time you moved on?

You are asking the impossible.

EMR Mar 30th 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217197)

I imagine Comrade EMR will join him out on the streets in protest during his next visit.

How is this the fault of the EU ?

Yes we know the min wage is far too low.
Unlike you in Spain when in Portugal I do not spend my time with other sad embittered British migrants.

EMR Mar 30th 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12217197)

How is this the fault of the EU ?

Yes we know the min wage is far too low.
Unlike you in Spain when in Portugal I do not spend my time with other sad embittered British migrants .

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12217200)
You are asking the impossible.

No doubt, but I hope Dick stands ready to pay the damages. All these companies have lawyers who scour the web for infringement of intellectual property rights.

EMR Mar 30th 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12217205)
No doubt, but I hope Dick stands ready to pay the damages. All these companies have lawyers who scour the web for infringement of intellectual property rights.

I think Dick would have a problem understanding your last four words.