Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:25 am
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

So, the Maybot has had her it's my way or the highway moment (BBC Panorama yesterday) ruling out options other than the negotiated deal (currently termed "Chequers" but perhaps it can be re-termed "Checkmate" once the EU reviews it) or a No Deal.

Where will this lead? It seems the likely outcomes are:

1. A deal is agreed at EU, and grudgingly accepted by parliament > roll on (soft Brexit)
2. deal is rejected by parliament > no confidence, general election > god knows
3. parliament rejects, nation faces No Deal, panics > second referendum (likely remain in EU)
4 .reject, embrace No Deal, Queen abdicates, Boris made king, Jacob made Queen (or vice versa) and Britain seeks to annexe the USA, and lease China back to itself on a 999 year lease

At present my guess is #2, but given the dearth of leadership in all three parties, that's not a very encouraging prospect.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics of Chequers, No Deal, etc

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
So, the Maybot has had her it's my way or the highway moment (BBC Panorama yesterday) ruling out options other than the negotiated deal (currently termed "Chequers" but perhaps it can be re-termed "Checkmate" once the EU reviews it) or a No Deal.

Where will this lead? It seems the likely outcomes are:

1. A deal is agreed at EU, and grudgingly accepted by parliament > roll on (soft Brexit)
2. deal is rejected by parliament > no confidence, general election > god knows
3. parliament rejects, nation faces No Deal, panics > second referendum (likely remain in EU)
4 .reject, embrace No Deal, Queen abdicates, Boris made king, Jacob made Queen (or vice versa) and Britain seeks to annexe the USA, and lease China back to itself on a 999 year lease

At present my guess is #2, but given the dearth of leadership in all three parties, that's not a very encouraging prospect.
The best reaction was Gove's ... accept Chequers for the moment and a futur Government (maybe him as head) can change everything.

EU was not impressed with him.

Old Sep 18th 2018, 10:51 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
The best reaction was Gove's ... accept Chequers for the moment and a futur Government (maybe him as head) can change everything.

Reports this morning that any deal must include a guarantee from the UK that it will not be unwound after Brexit..
Old Sep 18th 2018, 2:18 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's Gove's stance, lock-in any kind of withdrawal in order to avoid the risk of a second referendum U-turn. I'm actually surprised the hard Brexiters don't (cynically) take him up on it. Regardless of what's agreed at Mar 2019, once we withdraw there will be years of further negotiations, so Gove has a point.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Sad losers still having childish tantrums because a vote didn't go their way two years ago and they cannot man up and adapt to a change in circumstances.

That's what I think will happen (and the evidence for it is right here in this thread as well as others on BE and different areas of the internet).
Old Sep 18th 2018, 5:38 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller View Post
Sad losers still having childish tantrums because a vote didn't go their way two years ago and they cannot man up and adapt to a change in circumstances.

That's what I think will happen (and the evidence for it is right here in this thread as well as others on BE and different areas of the internet).
So you as a leaver are happy with the Chequers deal which includes an accomodstion for EU migrsnts and hope that it will be accepted by the EU and then not voted down by the Labour party, ultra brexiters and remainers.
Strange bed fellows.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
So you as a leaver are happy with the Chequers deal which includes an accomodstion for EU migrsnts and hope that it will be accepted by the EU and then not voted down by the Labour party, ultra brexiters and remainers.
Strange bed fellows.
As I've said on numerous occasions previously, I'm not a "leaver" as I voted Remain in the 2016 referendum. I have, however, fully accepted the decision to leave.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:16 pm
EMR
Banned

As I've said on numerous occasions previously, I'm not a "leaver" as I voted Remain in the 2016 referendum. I have, however, fully accepted the decision to leave.
Do you agree with a deal based on Chequers or do you support the bizarre coalition to drive us towards a no deal.with all that entails.
As a remainer you clearly know what is the best thing for the country..
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:44 pm
F.orum Ape

No idea what your stance is...Chequers? No Deal?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

No idea what your stance is...Chequers? No Deal ... ?
... That ?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:49 pm
F.orum Ape

... That ?
Given the clarity of purpose, could the poster in fact be a member of the government ?!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Do you agree with a deal based on Chequers or do you support the bizarre coalition to drive us towards a no deal.with all that entails.
As a remainer you clearly know what is the best thing for the country..
The Chequers arrangement is probably the best outcome at the moment. I don't think we'll end up with a no deal scenario.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:54 pm
F.orum Ape

The Chequers arrangement is probably the best outcome at the moment. I don't think we'll end up with a no deal scenario.
Yes, it may well be. A least worst (non-remain) option.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it may well be. A least worst (non-remain) option.
To my mind, that's the direction the UK ought to be moving towards - a "least worst non-remain position". In fact it's the position we should have adopted the very next day following the referendum. Any kind of "remain position" ceased to exist in June 2016.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:12 pm
F.orum Ape

To my mind, that's the direction the UK ought to be moving towards - a "least worst non-remain position". In fact it's the position we should have adopted the very next day following the referendum. Any kind of "remain position" ceased to exist in June 2016.
It's taken 2 years to reach this "Chequers" plan and even then there is plenty of dissent within parliament. And of course, the weaker the Brexit, the more of an argument there is to not Brexit at all. "Brexit" in 2016 was far too vaguely defined, hence the current chaos.

Last edited by Shard; Sep 18th 2018 at 8:11 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.