Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Planet of the humans

Planet of the humans

Old Apr 30th 2020, 3:43 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planet of the humans

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes, I'm sure they can't just stop, but wells can be closed in an organized way. At the moment it's costing them money to pump because there's nowhere to put the stuff. If only we could decide that we could actually live without starting them all up again, and push our species to adapt. Adapters survive, the inflexible don't, in evolutionary terms.
How ****ing fragile is a 'system' when the only thing that can bring it crashing down is people stop buying shit they don't need?

Smoke and ****ing mirrors. This world is depressingly grim. Therapists are going to be the new nouveau riche when this crap is done with.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
How ****ing fragile is a 'system' when the only thing that can bring it crashing down is people stop buying shit they don't need?

Smoke and ****ing mirrors. This world is depressingly grim. Therapists are going to be the new nouveau riche when this crap is done with.
None of us are going to be able to afford therapy.

But if this forces energy companies to think elsewhere more than they currently are, that will be progress.

Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:26 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
None of us are going to be able to afford therapy.

But if this forces energy companies to think elsewhere more than they currently are, that will be progress.

I might be an idealist but I'm not an optimist

I hope you're right though, we'll see.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
...most of us on the right already knew...
You are on the right? That's a startling admission.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Obviously nobody is going to watch an hour and forty of what I presume is propaganda, but what's the gist then? Too many people?
What do they suggest as the solution?
I don't think many people could argue that population growth isn't harming the planet, but is that the motive for this - environmental change?
Why not watch it for an hour and forty? Presumably you are quite happy to watch some of the shit that's on Netflix - and you come out the other side of those none the wiser!

My take on it is it was depressing to watch, but none of its content is obviously false and I am yet to see any article that lays bare alleged falsehoods. In fact I would be delighted if I could confirm that the film is full of falsehoods, because without it being comprehensively debunked, the film confirms what many of us have known for a long time - that humanity has a bloody grim future and the current trajectory we are on to addressing it is pure folly. I would be happy to read or view any counter-narrative even if I presumed it to propaganda because not all propaganda is false - exaggerated perhaps, but not necessarily false. And besides, generally screams of "propaganda" come from those who have sets of propaganda of their own to peddle. But whatever, it is up to us to analyse, cross reference and separate truth from fiction - and I didn't see much fiction in it. Missing details perhaps. For example, what was noticeably missing from the film was nuclear energy. Of course one should be able to expect the Green Left to applaud nuclear not featuring in the energy equation. But apparently not so this time around - probably because without nuclear energy our planet is dead certain on a path to becoming a utterly desolate wasteland - which is going to happen anyway because our current global population needs half a dozen or more earth equivalent planets in order to sustain it. And as for that elephant in the room, every time anyone mentions that, some twat pops their head up and screams foul with "chilling" accusations, or worse: twat of twat remarks about racial selection - both reactions clearly aimed at silencing anyone from rationally discussing our currently bonkers global population size.

Last edited by paulry; Apr 30th 2020 at 11:29 pm.
Old May 1st 2020, 7:42 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched the film but from what people are saying I feel I might agree with SOME of the points it's making although it has been generally panned by those who I would normally listen to.

Suppose I'd better watch it. I've got a little time to spare.
Old May 1st 2020, 9:58 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Roger and Me was a wonderful movie, good enough to get me to watch his next few follow ups, but none of them enticed. They lack the humor of The Yes Men, and are devoid of the rigour of a Pilger .documentary. I stopped watching anything by Moore years ago. Partly after the right pointed out his slap dash research, which was irrelevant in Roger and Me. A pity he tried to switch gears (although I think he made a lot more money with the post Roger output.
So what can you say to convince me that all of a sudden he is producing a quality product, that I should watch?
Old May 1st 2020, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I haven't watched the film but from what people are saying I feel I might agree with SOME of the points it's making although it has been generally panned by those who I would normally listen to.

Suppose I'd better watch it. I've got a little time to spare.
Can't be any worse than some of the shite they dish up on Netflix.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately watching Netflix is just one of the many entertainment, cultural and educational options people have. What a time to be alive!
Old May 1st 2020, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Fortunately watching Netflix is just one of the many entertainment, cultural and educational options people have. What a time to be alive!
Yeah, sad innit.
Old May 1st 2020, 8:58 pm
Grove 4 Life

Go watch Dark and you can thank me later.

Seriously, do it, I'm actually being helpful here. Also Arrested Development is a must.
Old May 1st 2020, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Seriously, do it, I'm actually being helpful here. Also Arrested Development is a must.
Thanks, the trailers look good. I haven't had a Netflix subscription for a few years now and I'm getting tired of Amazon Prime, so I might swap over for a bit.
Old May 2nd 2020, 2:01 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Dark, as in the German sci-fi series?

If so, we really enjoyed the first season, and the second is on our "viewing rotation schedule".
Proper bonkers, but in a very German thoughtful way. And so twisty. And very... dark.
Old May 2nd 2020, 2:03 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Will see if I can access. Thank you. Sounds like my sort of thing.
Old May 2nd 2020, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's long overdue that the world accepted nuclear is our best bet for reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and deforestaton-causing bio fuels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.