Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Old Mar 30th 2020, 11:38 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic Political Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Boris doesn't need that. He was given near ultimate power for Christmas. Regardless of the total shit show the government make of all this and by proxy the number of innocent British citizens who die as a result of their incompetence, they still don't need to hold an election for at least the next 5 years.
As an opponent of all that boris and his ilk stand for - Get help.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike - "Do you have more info on the "plastic decking from plastic bags' cycle?"

Yes - it is "Trex" brand decking that reuses shopping bags to make their plastic boards.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:38 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
Steerpike - "Do you have more info on the "plastic decking from plastic bags' cycle?"

Yes - it is "Trex" brand decking that reuses shopping bags to make their plastic boards.
Even better, I remember reading about alternative solar water heating panels that look like woven fence panels (thermosolar fence) and are made of recycled plastic.
There's a win-win.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

All the people losing jobs in the US which their healthcare is linked to for millions, nothing like losing your job and healthcare in the middle of a pandemic.

Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:21 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Here's the most idiotic idea I've seen today.....

Coronavirus: UK to spend £75m on charter flights to bring stranded Britons home

So worldwide air travel is shutting down, and the UK government wants to put roughly a million Brits is close proximity on aircraft where the air is recycled, and presumably either quarantine them or require them to self-isolate for two weeks.

They're safer where they are, and if they're not, there is like a CV hotspot so why are we considering flying them out with the increased risk of transmission? Give them some funds and Embassy support, and leave them in place. It's the sensible option.
Preach. More than enough warning and time to get home. In fact, there was months of warning that it wasn't a good time to be abroad if you were worried. The government can repatriate everyone - I got no issues with that, it's nice that we care enough to get people home, but we should be charging them.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Preach. More than enough warning and time to get home. In fact, there was months of warning that it wasn't a good time to be abroad if you were worried. The government can repatriate everyone - I got no issues with that, it's nice that we care enough to get people home, but we should be charging them.
I believe they are charging them in all but exceptional circumstances but that's not really the point. They shouldn't be encouraging people to fly back here in the first place and the fact that they are going all out in it like that is extremely dubious and makes me question their true intentions.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:00 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I believe they are charging them in all but exceptional circumstances but that's not really the point. They shouldn't be encouraging people to fly back here in the first place and the fact that they are going all out in it like that is extremely dubious and makes me question their true intentions.
Why shouldn't they be encouraging people to fly back?
What do you think the true intentions are?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:22 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but this simply isn't true.

There were not "months of warning" for the average person. I was in the throes of making plans to travel for a couple of short breaks when the situation suddenly exploded. It was approaching the end of February before I had serious reservations about that and a week later when I told my Mum I was ruling it out for the time being. Just under 1 month ago and at that stage everything was still operating normally and plenty of people were still going about (and have continued to do so) saying it was all blown out of any proportion.

Maybe an epidemic / pandemic expert might have had more advance doubts because of having a much better handle on the information available but it was only a niggling worry for me until what looks now like very late on. And I keep a good eye on current affairs and news - there are a heck of a lot of people who apparently don't see, hear or read proper news at all.

In fact, just as an indication as to how relaxed attitudes were, I read recently that a very capable top-ranking health official of ours had played down concerns about the spread of the virus which at the time had only been identified in around 60 cases in China, thinking it highly improbable that it would arrive here especially as there was only a small possibility of person to person transmission. That was in a TV interview on 15th Jan - only a little over 2 months ago.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

There were not "months of warning" for the average person. I was in the throes of making plans to travel for a couple of short breaks when the situation suddenly exploded. It was approaching the end of February before I had serious reservations about that and a week later when I told my Mum I was ruling it out for the time being. Just under 1 month ago and at that stage everything was still operating normally and plenty of people were still going about (and have continued to do so) saying it was all blown out of any proportion.

Maybe an epidemic / pandemic expert might have had more advance doubts because of having a much better handle on the information available but it was only a niggling worry for me until what looks now like very late on. And I keep a good eye on current affairs and news - there are a heck of a lot of people who apparently don't see, hear or read proper news at all.

In fact, just as an indication as to how relaxed attitudes were, I read recently that a very capable top-ranking health official of ours had played down concerns about the spread of the virus which at the time had only been identified in around 60 cases in China, thinking it highly improbable that it would arrive here especially as there was only a small possibility of person to person transmission. That was in a TV interview on 15th Jan - only a little over 2 months ago.
Not "months" of warning however plenty of warnings--- giving time to change flight bookings---and at least some airlines were advertising 'change of booking' at no extra charge until end of March. (BA one of the first to reduce flights drastically!!)
We had no difficulty getting a booking March 19/ 20th to come to UK from India-----(for us it was to give moral support to children---as regards the virus we were safer where we were!!).
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:11 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If that's how you feel about the UK, be glad you're not living in Hungary......

Hungary’s prime minister is using the virus to make an authoritarian power grab
Right now I'm glad I live in Hungary - as of today we have fewer cases than the County of Hampshire, where we used to live!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:19 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

It is though, isn't it. Your entire post is just debating semantics of time. What you're forgetting is that the people who are stuck are probably recent travellers who went on a holiday and then the curtains closed. These people should be laughed at and left.

There was more than enough in the news to see that going on holiday to X in March wasn't going to be a good idea. If you traveled overseas from about the first week of March onwards you were taking a chance. My company, for example, started sending emails on the matter in mid-February. By the last week of February we had travel restrictions in place. If you choose to then travel after that, you're taking a chance.
Emirates suspended flights about the 26th (I think) of March. That's 5 weeks since our company said - 'start thinking twice about travel and no business travel unless desperately needed'.
It had already been jumping as disease. Start of Feb was when the numbers starting popping up big every day.
So I'd say that's best part of a couple of months* of very, very clear warning, if you wanted to be warned. You might say it's weeks, that's cool, I don't really mind. The point is, if at any point in March you thought it was a good idea to go on holiday somewhere with everything that was going on, you made an irresponsible decision. My missus travelled to the UK and I was dead against it, but it was an important journey, lasted no time at all and she was straight back. I also managed to convince the most stubborn human on earth to not continue her trip from here to Thailand and even got her to go back home (cutting it was too fine but you can only tell your Mother so many times). I had my Father on the phone to my Sister begging her not to go to Thailand a month before she was due to go. He may be extra cautious but it worked in the end.

So, in summary, if you got on a plane or boat or train just before everything started going into lockdown you're a moron. You had SO much warning about it.

*7 weeks ish of proper 'oh this shit is getting serious actually and is spreading around the place'
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:25 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Right now I'm glad I live in Hungary - as of today we have fewer cases than the County of Hampshire, where we used to live!
Given what's happening in Hungary, I hope you're not like those who praised the efficiency of German railroads i n the 1930s!!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:29 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Given what's happening in Hungary, I hope you're not like those who praised the efficiency of German railroads i n the 1930s!!
​​​​​​What is happening in Hungary? (Yes, I read the BBC report, Orbán has been a bete noire of the Beeb for years).
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:34 am
Resident Cynic

It is though, isn't it. Your entire post is just debating semantics of time. What you're forgetting is that the people who are stuck are probably recent travellers who went on a holiday and then the curtains closed. These people should be laughed at and left.
Ah, so easy to be wise in hindsight! So, if you'd spent thousands of pounds and months planning a trip, you'd have just thrown it away at the last minute, would you? You'd have cancelled everything even though there was no compensation, no insurance cover and no way to recover costs? You'd have put off doing everything you had planned at the forst breath of a problem (and I'd remind you to look back in this thread for those claiming everything was hype and hysteria). Your vision is truly 20:20 - unfortunately only via the rear-view mirror.

Yes there will be idiots trapped abroad, yes there will be those who should have known better - but since you're "sitting in the desert" in an unstable part of the world and only able to live due to your job, I'd be a bit careful about casting stones. If anything kicks off there, or your circumstances change, I'm sure you'd be only too happy to be called a "prick" and left to rot.... after all, it's your choice, yes?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:36 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Why shouldn't they be encouraging people to fly back?
What do you think the true intentions are?

Well if you believe the Orwellian approach then they use it as a means to reclaim as many of their own people as possible by persuading them that the outside world is a far more dangerous place to be. Shortly after that they either indefinitely suspend foreign travel or they cancel all UK passports and unless I'm mistaken this government does have the power to do either.

There is historical precedent for this. In the late 50's, North Korea began repatriating ethnic Koreans, mostly from Japan but also from a few other countries by persuading them that the DPRK was the place to be and would offer them far more safety, security and prosperity than anywhere else. The DPRK laid on chartered ferries to bring them over and revoked their ability to leave the country immediately upon arrival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...in_North_Korea

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Mar 31st 2020 at 10:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.