Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Obama's Babawaba interview

Obama's Babawaba interview

Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obama's Babawaba interview

Just got done watching Barbara Walter's interview with Barack and Michelle Obama. I just love hearing that guy talk! After 8 years of listening to Bush - who had an annoying voice, not to mention a lack of smarts, it's pure joy to listen to a guy with a 'good' talking voice, and who can actually string together sentences, indeed whole paragraphs, that make sense!

I actually feel good about having this guy in charge. May he live long and prosper ...
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obama's Babawaba interview

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Just got done watching Barbara Walter's interview with Barack and Michelle Obama. I just love hearing that guy talk! After 8 years of listening to Bush - who had an annoying voice, not to mention a lack of smarts, it's pure joy to listen to a guy with a 'good' talking voice, and who can actually string together sentences, indeed whole paragraphs, that make sense!

I actually feel good about having this guy in charge. May he live long and prosper ...
i'd cringe when dubbya attempted to make a speech and his homely wife where as Obama is an excellent orator imo.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:09 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but does he know how to pronounce Nook- you-lar?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Come back in 4 years with the same opinion ! In the meantime you can get off your knees !
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte View Post
Come back in 4 years with the same opinion ! In the meantime you can get off your knees !
I'm worldly enough to recognize that he is a politician, and I'm very conscious of the scale of the mess he has inherited; so my expectations for what he will actually achieve in 4 years are not high. However, at least I won't cringe each time he appears on TV, and I won't be embarrassed to talk to my buddies back in the UK about politics again (one buddy refused to even visit the US while Bush was in charge, and is now planning a visit!).

But I will say ... I have a fundamental 'belief' in what he says. I base this on the fact that he has grown up poor himself, and in a diverse environment - single parent family, food stamps, time overseas, drug exposure (yay, a president who admits he inhaled - progress!). I was also interested to hear what he said about his blackberry - how he is 'negotiating' with the secret service to keep some kind of contact with the 'outside world'. I'm also encouraged by his cabinet picks so far. I tend to 'trust' David Gergen (the old dude on CNN, who was a former aid to Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Clinton), and he is practically falling over himself with joy with Obama and how he's setting up his White House.

My biggest fear is that the establishment will go after him the way they did with Clinton. If you remember, the whole 'Monica' thing was just an offshoot of the 'Whitewater' special investigation. The Republicans were determined to get him on something, and after hounding him for years on Whitewater and coming up empty, they stumbled across the Monica incident and made that the centerpiece of their case.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm worldly enough to recognize that he is a politician, and I'm very conscious of the scale of the mess he has inherited; so my expectations for what he will actually achieve in 4 years are not high. However, at least I won't cringe each time he appears on TV, and I won't be embarrassed to talk to my buddies back in the UK about politics again (one buddy refused to even visit the US while Bush was in charge, and is now planning a visit!).

But I will say ... I have a fundamental 'belief' in what he says. I base this on the fact that he has grown up poor himself, and in a diverse environment - single parent family, food stamps, time overseas, drug exposure (yay, a president who admits he inhaled - progress!). I was also interested to hear what he said about his blackberry - how he is 'negotiating' with the secret service to keep some kind of contact with the 'outside world'. I'm also encouraged by his cabinet picks so far. I tend to 'trust' David Gergen (the old dude on CNN, who was a former aid to Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Clinton), and he is practically falling over himself with joy with Obama and how he's setting up his White House.

My biggest fear is that the establishment will go after him the way they did with Clinton. If you remember, the whole 'Monica' thing was just an offshoot of the 'Whitewater' special investigation. The Republicans were determined to get him on something, and after hounding him for years on Whitewater and coming up empty, they stumbled across the Monica incident and made that the centerpiece of their case.
Interesting double standard the US has - with his admission of past drug use, he can be president of the US. But he would be inadmissible as an immigrant - with no chance of a waiver apparently.

I don't personally care that he did drugs as a teenager or whatever - but it is a truly amazing double standard imo.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym View Post
Interesting double standard the US has - with his admission of past drug use, he can be president of the US. But he would be inadmissible as an immigrant - with no chance of a waiver apparently.
I don't personally care that he did drugs as a teenager or whatever - but it is a truly amazing double standard imo.
Could you back that ridiculous statement up with some exact verbiage from the constitution? Please go into specific detail about whether you are referring to admission of drug use, lying about drug use to immigration officials or arrests and convictions? And do these scenarios take place in the country of origin or the US?

It is not only an inaccurate and incomplete statement about immigration law - it is completely irrelevant and unrelated to presidential requirements. Were you as concerned about the double standards for GWB's cocaine use and DUI convictions?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:11 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that amazing. One person running for a high profile position gets a very detailed vetting by the press and the opposition, so major usage would show up. The immigrants are given a bigger but simpler hurdle; the government avoids doing in depth vetting this way.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen View Post
It's not that amazing. One person running for a high profile position gets a very detailed vetting by the press and the opposition, so major usage would show up. The immigrants are given a bigger but simpler hurdle; the government avoids doing in depth vetting this way.
What I find amazing is that of an intending immigrant made a similar admission, they would be ineligible. Zero tolerance etc.

Not that they'd be discovered - but if they were either discovered, or admitted it they'd be out of luck. They can be forgiven various crimes, but not drugs.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

What I find amazing is that of an intending immigrant made a similar admission, they would be ineligible. Zero tolerance etc.

Not that they'd be discovered - but if they were either discovered, or admitted it they'd be out of luck. They can be forgiven various crimes, but not drugs.
Aren't you supposed to be cooking something?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ironporer View Post
Aren't you supposed to be cooking something?
I am. I am cooking lots of things. Stuff on the stove... stuff in two ovens...

I am woman - I can multitask

Why - are you getting hungry?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I am. I am cooking lots of things. Stuff on the stove... stuff in two ovens...

I am woman - I can multitask

Why - are you getting hungry?
Yea, but he's not talking about food......!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't believe that 'admitting drug use' is a problem when applying for citizenship. The N400 form has only this specific reference to drugs: "Have you ever ... Sold or smuggled controlled substances, illegal drugs or narcotics?".

There is one question "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?" - now, I guess, anyone who has at any time, anywhere, drunk a beer before they were 21 (or 18 in UK), smoked a joint, driven over the speed limit, etc should answer this question 'yes' and then explain it; a 'yes' answer is not grounds for rejection but I doubt many people go overboard on this question.

But regardless - do you really think it is a 'truly amazing double standard' - not just a simple case of forms not keeping up with public opinion? If you don't personally have a problem with it, and - apparently - the majority of the country does not, then what is there to be amazed about?

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 28th 2008 at 5:40 am.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't believe that 'admitting drug use' is a problem when applying for citizenship. The N400 form has only this specific reference to drugs: "Have you ever ... Sold or smuggled controlled substances, illegal drugs or narcotics?".

There is one question "Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?" - now, I guess, anyone who has at any time, anywhere, drunk a beer before they were 21 (or 18 in UK), smoked a joint, driven over the speed limit, etc should answer this question 'yes' and then explain it; a 'yes' answer is not grounds for rejection but I doubt many people go overboard on this question.

But regardless - do you really think it is a 'truly amazing double standard' - not just a simple case of forms not keeping up with public opinion? If you don't personally have a problem with it, and - apparently - the majority of the country does not, then what is there to be amazed about?
It isn't a problem when applying for citizenship - because you'd never be admitted to the country in the first place.

If you look in the immigration parts of the forum much, you will see this occurs. Having been caught with anything other than a tiny amount of marijuana, or admitting to past drug use, are bars to admission on an immigrant visa. And unlike other crimes, there is no waiver that one can apply for. Look for posts by Folinskyinla (immigration attorney) on the topic of drug offenses, if you are curious.

I am amazed that our country thinks it isn't an insurmountable problem for a person with past drug use to become president - YET, it is an unsurmountable problem to say... bring your wife or husband over if they have used drugs in the past.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed that our country thinks it isn't an insurmountable problem for a person with past drug use to become president - YET, it is an unsurmountable problem to say... bring your wife or husband over if they have used drugs in the past.
The whole war on drugs thing was a highly profitable farce for the neocons. My own opinion is that we should sell whatever you want in Walgreens with the same taxes and controls as cigarettes or alcohol. Can't think it'd actually make the problem any worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.