Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old Mar 29th 2020, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Viruses don't produce spores, and unless someone's been licking the leaves there won't be any hanging out there to be blown into your garden, so don't worry about that.

Leaf Blowers will still produce both pollution of both the air and noise variety, of course, but they won't spread the 'rona.
ok Just thought that leaf litter might be the same as paper.. They have told us here that the virus can spread on your post .. envelopes ,parcels etc....
Old Mar 29th 2020, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
That, as the US is crowned with the world's fastest spread of the virus.

Now, it's not getting much better in Italy or Spain, but at this rate, the US may very well become the hardest hit country on earth in just a few days' time.
​​​​
It tops the list today
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Not quite a lizard, but just before I came back from Portugal I found a huge salamander hiding under a spare water tank..... It was a good 12-14" long and really fat....I'm sure it would have weighed over a kilo!

I have never seen anything that big there before, although we get the occasional monster toad on the patio....... the dogs give them a really wide berth!!

Given our area is often dry between May and October and hits 40C in the summer, I don't know how they survive to get so big!
Oh we have seen something like that in our garden macliam It was huge and I suspect had lived a very quiet life for the 12 years our previous owner had the house..They only visited it twice a year. As soon as we arrived ...with dog.. It sadly fled. Probably to the neighbour at the bottom of our garden who comes maybe once a year. The best one though was in a house we rented once in Luz. It lived in a drain pipe and only came out once we were indoors. We could see it run across the top end of the pool area. Bright green in colour and enormous .
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Talking of lizards, etc., has anybody noticed that Chris Witty, the UK Chief medical Officer, looks suspiciously like a tortoise
He doesn't look human.... plastic ?
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We might be able to do some rough math on how long our own outbreaks of the virus will take to resolve.

The Diamond princess passengers started to feel unwell on Jan 23 and 24th... Of the 712 passengers who became ill ( out of the 3,000+ ) 597 have now been declared recovered from the virus .( with sadly 10 deaths ) So we are looking at roughly, what, two months then? ....This is of course from a contained source . At what point in the 'chain' of loose infections will governments decide to lift these lock down restrictions then ? How long is a piece of string ?

Last edited by GeniB; Mar 29th 2020 at 8:26 am.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 7:20 pm
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Weeds are mutating. They will be our new overlords.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 7:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
We might be able to do some rough math on how long our own outbreaks of the virus will take to resolve.

The Diamond princess passengers started to feel unwell on Jan 23 and 24th... Of the 712 passengers who became ill ( out of the 3,000+ ) 597 have now been declared recovered from the virus .( with sadly 10 deaths ) So we are looking at roughly, what, two months then? ....This is of course from a contained source . At what point in the 'chain' of loose infections will governments decide to lift these lock down restrictions then ? How long is a piece of string ?
By your own numbers, not all cases are resolved...... nor is there any proof that those "recovered" are not capable of infecting others. So, even in this "contained source" we await a test to prove the all-clear.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The essentials have started to show up at the local supermarkets, toilet paper, fresh meat and vegetables, etc. Although they are selling out quickly.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:02 pm
Devourer of Haribo

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
The essentials have started to show up at the local supermarkets, toilet paper, fresh meat and vegetables, etc. Although they are selling out quickly.
If people only bought enough for the next 3-4 days, there'd be enough to last everyone for that period, and shops could be restocked ready for the next round.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post

By your own numbers, not all cases are resolved...... nor is there any proof that those "recovered" are not capable of infecting others. So, even in this "contained source" we await a test to prove the all-clear.
I certainly think these isolated environments offer a good insight into the situation. I would imagine, every one of those 597 who have been declared 'recovered', are now being monitored closely.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
If people only bought enough for the next 3-4 days, there'd be enough to last everyone for that period, and shops could be restocked ready for the next round.
True, and I wish it were the case (I've been unable to get certain things for weeks now) but - taking the example of my g/f - she's a high-(ish)-risk person, and is being VERY cautious. She goes out less than once a week for shopping. So she is buying, obviously, more than enough for 3-4 days. My observation is, there's plenty of 'most things' out there, just things like cleaning products are impossible to get.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 8:48 pm
Devourer of Haribo

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
True, and I wish it were the case (I've been unable to get certain things for weeks now) but - taking the example of my g/f - she's a high-(ish)-risk person, and is being VERY cautious. She goes out less than once a week for shopping. So she is buying, obviously, more than enough for 3-4 days. My observation is, there's plenty of 'most things' out there, just things like cleaning products are impossible to get.
And being high-risk is a reasonable thing to buy a week's worth of shopping, to minimise the likelyhood of contact. However, she's also likely spending near double the amount of time in the shop anyway....
Old Mar 29th 2020, 9:06 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I knew he reminded me of something.

Not sure he looks like the sort of person I want deciding who lives and who dies.
I thought it was his Spitting Image puupet.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
And being high-risk is a reasonable thing to buy a week's worth of shopping, to minimise the likelyhood of contact. However, she's also likely spending near double the amount of time in the shop anyway....
Are you basing that on, the more you buy the longer it takes?

My own feeling is, going to the store is the biggest risk I face, so I'd rather minimize the number of times I do it. Once I'm there, I tend to scour the aisles to see what's available. But I also tend to go at 'quiet times' to avoid crowds, and unfortunately that's when the 'hard stuff' is already gone. I was at a Target store the other day and I missed the cleaning supplies by less than an hour. The lady said, "you need to get here earlier - people were queuing up for hours ..." so that's my personal dilemma (plus, I'm not an early bird by nature).
Old Mar 29th 2020, 9:26 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Are you basing that on, the more you buy the longer it takes?

My own feeling is, going to the store is the biggest risk I face, so I'd rather minimize the number of times I do it. Once I'm there, I tend to scour the aisles to see what's available. But I also tend to go at 'quiet times' to avoid crowds, and unfortunately that's when the 'hard stuff' is already gone. I was at a Target store the other day and I missed the cleaning supplies by less than an hour. The lady said, "you need to get here earlier - people were queuing up for hours ..." so that's my personal dilemma (plus, I'm not an early bird by nature).
+1 - I did a shop on Wednesday, I got 80% of what I wanted, but only by travelling to 4 different shops.

As you say, it's a trade-off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.