Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old Mar 28th 2020, 8:23 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Lock down would work better if I could get an online order slot at the grocery store, I check 2-3 times an hour to see if any spot has become available. Really want to avoid having to go in person. We live in a not so good area and the homeless/addicts are high numbers and they are not social isolating since most have nowhere to go, and doubt they have the best hygiene either, and most smoke and cough like crazy, and oh and they typically wont stay 6 feet away or more, so really trying to not have to go into the store.

More entertainment options would be nice, youtube is only so fun, internet gets tiring, but TV nothing ever on really since most shows stopped production.

The first week wasn't do bad, but this week was rough, the dog hates it too and becomes more annoying by the day, and being stuck with a spouse in such a small space, we are both annoying one another and that isn't helping things.
Take a look at iTunes some of the films that were due to be released in the cinema have gone straight to digital release. Costs about the same as a cinema ticket for a rental..
Old Mar 28th 2020, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
...looking at the lawn and thinking it needs a trim.... and I have enough time now to do it with nail clippers!! ....
How about cutting it to make your own patterns or pictures. The Mona Lisa shouldn't be too hard...albeit a bit green.

Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Lockdown What lockdown?
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
How about cutting it to make your own patterns or pictures. The Mona Lisa shouldn't be too hard...albeit a bit green.
Just getting the moss and weeds out will be challenging enough....... another side to climate change is that we now see weeds we never had before.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

.. another side to climate change is that we now see weeds we never had before.
I thought that was a ban on weedkiller causing that.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:35 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was a ban on weedkiller causing that.
No, we have new varieties of weeds taking hold..... not those that were previously killed off by weedkiller.
Weedkiller on lawns is necessarily weak any way (I was going to say weedy!!)
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

No, we have new varieties of weeds taking hold..... not those that were previously killed off by weedkiller.
Weedkiller on lawns is necessarily weak any way (I was going to say weedy!!)
Weeds are mutating. They will be our new overlords.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:03 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well, they're already winning in my lawn...... several types now that can't be killed by weedkiller (which begs the question, should it be renamed "Weedtickler")

The lawn treatment guys said that a solution strong enough to knock back the weeds will also kill the grass...... so it's hands and knees and my old Moroccan lock-knife (now bound up with gaffer tape and repaired with epoxy!! - 40 years service).
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Not if the lizards have anything to say about it.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Well, they're already winning in my lawn......
If you can still call it a lawn it must be okay. I used to mow our lawn for the first few years here but now it's known as cutting the grass.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:26 pm
Resident Cynic

Not if the lizards have anything to say about it.
Not quite a lizard, but just before I came back from Portugal I found a huge salamander hiding under a spare water tank..... It was a good 12-14" long and really fat....I'm sure it would have weighed over a kilo!

I have never seen anything that big there before, although we get the occasional monster toad on the patio....... the dogs give them a really wide berth!!

Given our area is often dry between May and October and hits 40C in the summer, I don't know how they survive to get so big!
Old Mar 28th 2020, 6:30 pm
Resident Cynic

If you can still call it a lawn it must be okay. I used to mow our lawn for the first few years here but now it's known as cutting the grass.
I refuse to give in...... I keep telling the weeds that I'll just cut them out if they come back, but do they listen?

My area in Suffolk was a prime turf growing area...... now i hear they're experimenting with the coarse grass types we see in Portugal.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 10:39 pm
Resident Cynic

Not quite a lizard, but just before I came back from Portugal I found a huge salamander hiding under a spare water tank..... It was a good 12-14" long and really fat....I'm sure it would have weighed over a kilo!

I have never seen anything that big there before, although we get the occasional monster toad on the patio....... the dogs give them a really wide berth!!

Given our area is often dry between May and October and hits 40C in the summer, I don't know how they survive to get so big!
Talking of lizards, etc., has anybody noticed that Chris Witty, the UK Chief medical Officer, looks suspiciously like a tortoise

Old Mar 28th 2020, 10:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of lizards, etc., has anybody noticed that Chris Witty, the UK Chief medical Officer, looks suspiciously like a tortoise

I knew he reminded me of something.

Not sure he looks like the sort of person I want deciding who lives and who dies.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 12:09 am
Resident Cynic

I knew he reminded me of something.

Not sure he looks like the sort of person I want deciding who lives and who dies.
Definitely not to be trusted with lettuce!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.