Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Is Lockdown Working For You

Is Lockdown Working For You

Old May 29th 2020, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Lockdown Working For You

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
So now you can maybe do likewise and have a little more control over the way it's done. Patio chairs with side tables?
That's exactly what we had last night - small side tables next to each chair. The seating aspect was perfect, where it 'fell apart' a bit was in the pre- and post- mingling. Hard to know how to handle that. One guy even reached out to shake hands (I'd never met two of them before; I politely held up my hands and laughed, and he backed off - it was instinct on his part).
Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Just don't tell the GF or you'll never make it back to CA.
No question!!!!
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Do you have Cicadas in Phoenix area? They are all over the Palm Springs area, noisy little things, but eventually you get used to them, they never seem to bother people just make noise.
Most definitely - crickets or cicadas or both. I LOVE that sound of intense 'chirping' / 'buzzing' you get at night. Very relaxing to me, and something I've always romantically associated with warm evenings.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Bugs are the biggest reason I don't venture outdoors much in summer, they are too annoying, and I don't want to slather myself in toxic chemicals, but I also don't want bug bites, so best solution, stay home...ha ha

I'll agree on the dry heat, Phoenix at 100+ is more comfortable in my opinion than say Houston or Milwaukee or another humid place at 80F or 90F, once adapted to a dry heat and if you stay hydrated its not that bad really. I never thought I would survive working on the ramp at the airport there, but I did, and overall not bad, but I probably drank gallons of water and gatorade a day, I was always drinking water or gatorade. Both were provided in unlimited quantities by the company, water alone wasn't sufficient when seating that much all day.
I'd say, 100F in Phoenix (desert/ultra dry) is equivalent to 90F in California (coastal, relatively dry), and equivalent to 70-80F in Florida or Houston (ultra humid). And the lack of bugs is an absolute bonus - you can sit outside all evening and not get eaten! Just watch for snakes and scorpions ...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
We've had a couple of socially distanced outside barbeques with our children and their partners. Limited to four people at a time, paper plates and utensils, bring your own drinks, access to a bathroom we're not using that's by the back door etc etc. Not 100% safe, of course, even though it's allowed.
It's damn hard to be 100% safe, isn't it! Everyone has their own idea of what's acceptable, and ingrained habits factor into it.
Old May 30th 2020, 12:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
That's exactly what we had last night - small side tables next to each chair. .
Ah...when you said everyone had their own table and chair I was imagining more of a school type set-up (though not in rows obviously) or a folding table. Something like this.

Seriously, I thought that while that was fine for eating it's not so comfy for sitting talking and it might have contributed to the later problem.
Old May 30th 2020, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

We are opening almost as normal down here from monday.
Old May 31st 2020, 12:02 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Ah...when you said everyone had their own table and chair I was imagining more of a school type set-up (though not in rows obviously) or a folding table. Something like this.

Seriously, I thought that while that was fine for eating it's not so comfy for sitting talking and it might have contributed to the later problem.

I'll have two tickets to the Bring and Buy please.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute