Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Leaving the EU

Leaving the EU

Old May 5th 2015, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving the EU

Good morning all,
Should there be a referendum in favour of leaving the EU, does any one know the ins and outs of how it will it affect Brits in Spain?
Just a thought.
Old May 5th 2015, 9:50 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the EU

There " may " be a referendum on EU membership if the Conservatives if elected with an overall majority is unable to negotiate more favourable terms for the UK.

IF and it is a huge IF the UK were to leave the UK one of the down sides is that expats will no longer have the protection of the EU when it comes to the UK cutting benefits to non UK residents such as DLA etc.
The Spanish could reciprocate by making life even more difficult for expats and those hoping to move to Spain as again EU rules and regs would not apply to Brits.
Overall a UK exit would be bad news for expats.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd View Post
Good morning all,
Should there be a referendum in favour of leaving the EU, does any one know the ins and outs of how it will it affect Brits in Spain?
Just a thought.
I suspect that the referendum is a dead duck, the Tories will not get an overall majority and will have to rely on the europhile parties to get enough votes, so the referendum won't happen, in fact it may be that that the labour party will win and end up in government. UKIP will not get even 10 seats so will not be in any position to influence anything, in fact, hopefully, Nige will not even get elected so will resign from the party that will then be a headless chicken, still he will still get his EU salary and expenses, so no skin off his nose.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

economic disaster IMO

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3db869a4-b...#axzz3ZG5ZVqWO

"Exports to EU countries help to support 4.2m UK jobs and are worth £211bn to the economy, according to new research which underlines the strength of Britain’s trade links with Europe amid intensifying political debate over EU membership."

Last edited by not2old; May 5th 2015 at 10:26 am.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

This subject crops up from time to time on expat forums.

My view is that in the unlikely event of a referendum ever happening (because big business is against it) and in the unlikely event of it being a yes out vote , that Britain will be like Norway or Switzerland. i.e. the would trade and function normally with other European neighbours. The EU needs Britain to keep buying their stuff. Expats living or working in Norway or Switzerland aren't treated like lepers (as far as I can make out).

Inequality of allowances and pensions etc is a different matter. Future governments in the Uk will have to look for more ways of saving money to pay for the what will be crippling costs of an aging population.e.g. Care , NHS bed blocking and GP time spent looking after elderly folk. Oh and there is still the small problem of the National debt which has doubled during this parliament.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
The Spanish could reciprocate by making life even more difficult for expats and those hoping to move to Spain as again EU rules and regs would not apply to Brits.
Overall a UK exit would be bad news for expats.
That would be true if the UK left totally. However, it is far more likely that they would continue being part of the EEA like Norway and Iceland or negotiate a deal with the EU like Switzerland.

If you want to read some informed opinions on the subject these blogs arewell worth reading.

EU Law Analysis: What happens to British expatriates if the UK leaves the EU?

http://eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/...nationals.html
Old May 5th 2015, 10:43 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Other than regaining the freedom to run our own country again, life would continue much as normal.

They need us much more than we need them, whether it be tourism in Spain or trade with the Germans, just to give a couple of examples.

Unfortunately it will not happen and the EU will continue to degenerate into an uncompetitive economic quagmire, bogged down by ever increasing waste, inefficiency and bureaucracy.

Furthermore this has recently been confirmed by our new unelected president openly stating that there will be no renegotiation and the present system/mess will continue as it is for at least the next four years.
Old May 5th 2015, 10:51 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Please give 10 examples of Eu acts that negatively affect the day to day lufe of those who live in the UK.
The vast majority of us agree that free movement of labour has to be reformeD.
Old May 5th 2015, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

The "act" of giving vast amounts of money supposedly for projects with no handle on where the money actually goes.e.g roads in Southern Italy that don't get built and the money lines the Mafias pockets.

That negatively affects everyday life due to the cost to the taxpayer.
Old May 5th 2015, 11:22 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer View Post
The "act" of giving vast amounts of money supposedly for projects with no handle on where the money actually goes.e.g roads in Southern Italy that don't get built and the money lines the Mafias pockets.

That negatively affects everyday life due to the cost to the taxpayer.
No need even to look beyond Spain for chronic examples of waste and corruption in relation to EU funds.
Old May 5th 2015, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Free movement between UK and Spain, common currency when driving up through France, lack of import duties ..... can't think of any more advantages to being in the EU.

As a Spanish resident, who's our "elected" representative to the EU?

Just had my latest leccy bill and it comes to 128 euros for two months. Of that the actual consumption is only 41 euros, the rest is standing charge, iva, meter rental and god knows what else. So I'm thinking about going back to the old solar setup we relied on for five or six years before the mains turned up. Only problem now is that Spain are taxing any solar power generated.

Maybe I could rent out the little cortijo on my land as holiday lets. Problem now is that they want to ban private holiday rentals.

So with the energy companies lobby group paying the government to tax the sun, the hoteliers' lobby group paying the government to ban private rentals, who can I complain to? Certainly not the corrupt Spanish government. The EU?

They're a bunch of enelected power-crazed lunatics run by Mario Draghi and Wolfgang Schauble, with Merkel parading the "world stage" like she's the President of Europe.
Who voted for them? I certainly didn't.

They've taken a great idea of a democratic, united europe and turned it into an unelected gravy train and power trip for the elite and the bankers, and they expect, no, force, the ordinary taxpayer to pay for it.

Are we represented in the EU parliament? Who knows, but at least Farage knew how to wind them up.
Old May 5th 2015, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates View Post
Free movement between UK and Spain, common currency when driving up through France, lack of import duties ..... can't think of any more advantages to being in the EU.
You do realise that you are free to live in Spain thanks to the EU right? You haven't thought about that yet?

I wouldnt have met my wife without the EU either and the excellent ERASMUS scheme

I dont care too much about what the UK do any more because I dont live there and my future isn't there either. I guess I should thank the EU for that also!
Old May 5th 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

mikelincs.

Any seats UKIP gain will be a bonus and the party will go from strength to strength. If the Tories lose this election, or we have to go into another election in Autumn, they (the Tories) will be in complete disarray. Cameron will have to go because if he cannot beat Miliband then who can he beat? Then the Tories will have to come to some arrangement with UKIP because it is they who are taking Tory votes.

Not2old

Britain is exporting more to non-eu countries that the eu.

Britain's main export market is no longer the EU - Telegraph

UK's non-EU exports surges to an all-time high as firms sell £13.2billion of goods to nations beyond Europe in a month | Daily Mail Online

Now Britain exports more to rest of the world than EU | UK | News | Daily Express

Britain's trade deficit narrows as exports to China grow | This is Money

Our trade deficit with Germany is roughly 17 billion euros.

For the export dependent economy of Germany, a trade war with the UK would inflict far greater penalties to their domestic GDP and employment than would be the case in the UK. Germany will not sacrifice their vital economic interests at the bidding of a parcel of spiteful Eurocrats who feel smarted by the UK leaving the EU.

Do you know of the ‘Rotterdam-Antwerp Effect’?

The favourite pro-EU myth is where europhiles insist that 70% of our trade is with the EU, so it’d be suicide to leave. This is a myth for two reasons – firstly, you can have free trade with the EU without being a member (EEA). But more fundamentally, it’s a deliberate manipulation of statistics – a lot of our worldwide trade goes via Holland, as you get very good shipping links there. But because that involves goods being moved from the UK, to Holland (even though they only stay there for a few days before moving off to non-EU countries), some pro-EU commentators use that to bulk up EU trade figures, and make it look like there’s more genuine intra-EU trade than there really is.

EMR. The vast majority of us agree that free movement of labour has to be reformeD.

Angela Merkel: Freedom of movement cannot be questioned 'in any way'
Old May 5th 2015, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
You do realise that you are free to live in Spain thanks to the EU right? You haven't thought about that yet?

I wouldnt have met my wife without the EU either and the excellent ERASMUS scheme

I dont care too much about what the UK do any more because I dont live there and my future isn't there either. I guess I should thank the EU for that also!
When I first came to Spain in the sixties there were many British living and working in Spain, as there were Spanish living and working in the UK. Thanks to the EU right? Neither the UK nor Spain were in the EU then.
Old May 5th 2015, 1:24 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
When I first came to Spain in the sixties there were many British living and working in Spain, as there were Spanish living and working in the UK. Thanks to the EU right? Neither the UK nor Spain were in the EU then.
Precisely.

Brits have been living in Spain and vice versa long before either country was in the EU and there is no logical reason why that wouldn't continue to be the case if we left or better still when the EU in its present unwanted, shambolic format has been consigned to the history books.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 5th 2015 at 1:29 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.